What's new

Weekly Roundup 5/6 (whew...this one is HUGE!) (1 Viewer)

Jodee

Screenwriter
So is the SOAF the same that is in the Jack Ryan box set? Is there any benefit to getting the box set (besides the cardboard box)?

I already own SOAF (I bought it used) so I'll probably just pick up the other Jack Ryan titles at $12.99 apiece.

Also I am going to buy Catch Me If You Can-- great movie and I can't wait to see it again since I just read the book.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Man, David, all that work kinda makes me feel guilty that I'm only getting one title this week (Hunt for Red October). :) Thanks as always for your hard work!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
The only benefit to the box set would be if you didn't have any, then you would get all 4 for $44.99 or $11.25 per title.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
None of you are getting Shenandoah? I saw that movie with my mom way back in high school and I remember it made me cry almost as much as Field of Dreams :)

Maybe that's too much information?

Either way I'll be picking that one up for sure...

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
As always, thanks, Dave!

I am very tempted by Sea of Love -- didn't even know that this had been out and that there was now a Collector's Edition in the works. Does anyone know what special features this disk has? I saw this movie in the theater years ago and remember it as an excellent thriller.

BTW, had good luck at Best Buy with my Xena expedition this past weekend. They were well stocked, so I got to use my coupon and also to wrack up extra Zoner points with this rather expensive purchase. :)

Thanks again,

Deborah

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Unbelievably, I have been unable to find any reviews for Sea of Love: SE.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the extensive list, Dave. I don't know why I had to be so anxious to see this yesterday afternoon. I can't buy anything until Tuesday, anyway.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Tim has followed back up with me, and suffice it to say that anyone who wants Coal Miner's Daughter should definately keep their Borders stores in mind. Use the 10% off coupon on their $12.99 price, and you've got the best deal in town to boot! YAY! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks again, Tim!

Aaron Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
1. Dave, as always, your work is fantastic. For me, being able to find the best B&M price helps me decide what I absolutely need to have now and what I can wait for an Internet order. Knowing what it takes to go around to several websites just to get a few additional Internet prices reminds me how much time and effort you must put into these EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

Thank you.

2. Following your lead with a title that probably not only slipped in under your radar, but folded itself into a tiny ball and had hidden itself under your bed ...

Car Wash: Widescreen (Universal)
  • Best Buy, Circuit City - $12.99
  • Amazon - $11.24
  • Target, Sam's Club, Costco - Who Knows?
* of course, your Wal-Mart may vary.

:b :D

Aaron Thomas
"Love, love pads the film."

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thanks again Dave for your hard work on the Weekly Roundup.

I stopped by Wal-Mart (Corona, CA) this morning shortly after they opened. I only saw a couple new titles out:

Catch Me If You Can (both versions WS & FF/P&S) $13.88 each
The Emperor's Club $19.96

I only picked-up CMIYC.

I didn't see the Jack Ryan SE Box-Set, or any of the new individual JR SE titles, or People vs. Larry Flynt:SE.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Dave, thanks for your hard work. I picked up Catch me if you can at Target for $15.99 with a 12 oz. Popable Snickers (normally $2.59) for free, making the net worth of the purchase $13.49 (even lower than I saw in this thread at Wal*Mart @$13.88).

I am starting to convert more of my puchases to DDD (despite their spotty website and shipping delays) due to budgetary constraints. It seems that B&M's have for the most part abandoned the sacrificial 'price leader' game for now and DDD beats them out on a consistent basis -- especially if you consider free shipping and no sales tax :) .

Dave, you list several hundreds of dollars worth of DVD's each week. Do you really buy most or all of the titles on your list? If so, your collection must be in the thousands by now :D . Just curious ;) .

Joel

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Hm, some tempting price reductions there too on movies I've considered but never bitten on: Happy Gilmore (OAR, right?), Liar Liar, Fletch and a couple others that were too steep before.

Sure wish that Best Buy would stock It Came From Beneath the Sea, but since it's a catalog title it could be months. I'll look for it when I pick up CMIYC, but am not expectant.

Thanks for the marathon session of typing, Dave! Now, go dance naked or something to relax. :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Super-duper job - Dave!!!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :) ;) :D

Ordered early this morning from BestBuy (ready-pickup), ... going thru EBates (1% rebate) & using my Discover Card (1% Cashback bonus rebate) ...

1) Catch Me if You Can (WS)

2) Hunt for Red October - (WS) SE

3) Clear & Present Danger - (WS) SE

Phil

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
Mark Zimmer

"Hm, some tempting price reductions there too on movies I've considered but never bitten on: Happy Gilmore (OAR, right?), Liar Liar, Fletch and a couple others that were too steep before."

at bestbuy in San Diego All they had were P&S copies of Liar Liar.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Liar Liar is available in OAR but Happy Gilmore is not. The only R1 DVD of Gilmore is 1.33:1 (don't know if it's P&S or open-matte).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that the price reductions are cut-and-paste jobs and so may have non-OAR titles amongst them. Sorry if that causes confusion.

For what it's worth, my DVD collection is valued at over $20,000.

Thanks to Tim's help, I got Coal Miner's Daughter and Two Mules For Sister Sara at Borders with the 10% off coupon, and they had all the other Universal western releases. Depsite listing Connecticut Yankee/Emperor's Waltz in their consumer-accessable Title Sleuth system, it wasn't listed in their inventory system! On the other hand, the ones I picked up were NOT listed in Title Sleuth. Whatever...

Wal-Mart had Hulk (and Catch Me If You Can) for $15.18, and 3 of the 4 Scooby-Doo titles for $14.24 ("Greatest Mysteries" was MIA). They had the Jack Ryan box set for $49.96, but none of the individual titles. The only other new thing they had was Emp's Club.

COSTCO HAD ALL 4 SCOOBY-DOO TITLES FOR $12.99 EACH!! They also had Catch Me, and the Jack Ryan box set (no individual titles)...BUT NOTHING ELSE NEW (not even Emp's Club, which is on their website).

Circuit City had Greatest 70's Cop Shows for $14.99, less than the Roundup price! They had Catch Me, Emp's Club, 2 of the four Jack Ryans and no boxes, and Hulk, AND NOTHING ELSE NEW!

Best Buy had the new SE versions of the Jack Ryan films, but get this: they were MIXED IN with the old versions on the shelf! All at the same sticker price of $14.99! So it was real easy for me to grab the wrong ones on two of the titles, and if the third didn't make me notice the subtle difference in box styles, I would have re-bought the old titles and had a huge hassle. :eek: Well, I got the right thing before approaching the register. Where I was asked "don't you want the box set?" I replied that I already had "Sum", thanks. The also had Catch Me, Emp's Club, Hulk, and the Scooby's...but NOTHING ELSE NEW!

Titles I did NOT see ANYwhere: Conn. Yankee/Emp Waltz, Electric Horseman, It Came From Beneath The Sea, Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing ( :frowning: ), Oscar, People vs. Larry Flynt SE, Sea of Love SE, A Simple Twist of Fate.

Boo, hiss...non-support of catalog titles really sucks!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems Dave is back to his old DVD-buying self after the "financial hiccup" during the winter? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks