What's new

Weekly Roundup 5/20 (1 Viewer)

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Don't remember if it's been mentioned, but inside Dances With Wolves SE there is a mail-in form for a free ($5.95 shipping) DVD. There were 20 choices and a lot of them were good. IRRC, they were all special editions.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Rescuers and Love Bug were not in-stock anywhere in my town. :frowning:

I started the day at Wal-Mart, where I found crappy prices that were anywere from $3 to $7 higher than the competition. I picked up Nemesis for $15.18 (81¢ cheaper than CC) and Sex & the City S4 (bit more than $1 cheaper than Target).

On to Target, where I nabbed most of everything else: Frasier & Cheers ($29.99 each), Dances w/Wolves ($15.99), 20,000 Lgs ($19.99), and Milo's Rtn ($11.99, after taking the $4 off for the combo deal with 20,000 Lgs...what the hell). I also grabbed Dark Angel, since the lady was so nice, figuring I would charge it instead of using a debit card for Costco's $3 savings.

I returned it within the hour. Picking it out was an excercise in getting the quietest rattler. Figuring that the release was just "noisy" (cards or something), I convinced myself that it wasn't loose discs in the box. I'll never know, because...

...Costco's price on Dark Angel was $39.99, not $42.99 as their website said. And NO RATTLING WHATSOEVER. So for $6 savings and no surprises after I open the box, I decided to run back by Target and get a refund. FWIW, the return to Target was easy and hassle-free.

At Costco, I also snagged an $8.99 Sink The Bismarck. Many other Fox war classics were there as well (Blue Max, Desert Fox, Thin Red Line, and The Longest Day all come to mind). Unfortunately, I didn't spot Battle Of Britain was MIA! :frowning:

Still, I spotted other recent Fox markdowns there, like a $12.99 The Good Girl. Plus recent Paramount westerns (The Shootist, Rio Lobo, Big Jake, El Dorado, Katie Elder, and True Grit) were there for $9.99 each! And to cap it, the recent Universal westerns were there as well (Rooster Cogburn...and the Lady, Shenendoah, Bend of the River, and The Rare Breed were definately there; perhaps others that slip my mind). I'm sorry, I forget the price of the Uni Westerns.

Note that 20,000 Leagues and Milo's Return were both there, but that missing from the boxes were all items relating to saving $4 on the combo. Trust me, Target is the better place to go for both of these together.

Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing were both in stock at Costco for $12.99 ($14.44 at Target, methinks). Both Target and Costco had the Teletubbies releases, but I didn't note the price (my son's outgrown them).

Best Buy and Circuit City didn't have anything that wasn't at the other places, except for Children of Dune ($16.99 at BB, $19.99 at CC). None of the "B" catalog titles were in-stock. Battle of Britain, I was told by my favorite Best Buy employee, had been in-stock (4 copies) and was sold out by the time I reached them.

Neither store had gotten Jame Cameron's Expedition: Bismarck (that would make a great double-feature with Sink the Bismarck, eh?). BB had also gotten Tubbies, but nothing esoteric was found at either store (well, Blue Max and Zulu were at BB, and Duel at Diable was at CC...but that's it).

All-in-all, I spent way too much money today! Sigh...maybe I'll win the lottery. Yeah, right...and maybe Clay will win American Idol! :laugh:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Don't remember if it's been mentioned, but inside Dances With Wolves SE there is a mail-in form for a free ($5.95 shipping) DVD. There were 20 choices and a lot of them were good. IRRC, they were all special editions.
Thanks to "FHB", here is the list (offer should also be in the Windtalkers SE release, which I was told at 3 different locations had sold zero copies!):

Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai SE
AntiTrust SE
Bandits SE
Blue Velvet SE
Bull Durham SE
Carrie SE
Dressed To Kill SE
Fiddler on the Roof SE
The Fog SE
The Graduate
Greatest Story Ever Told
Hannibal SE
Heartbreakers SE
Jeepers Creepers SE
The Last Waltz SE
Legally Blonde SE
Mad Max SE
Magnificent Seven SE
Of Mice And Men SE
Phantasm
Platoon SE
Princess Bride SE
The Produccers SE
Rocky SE
Rollerball SE
Salvador SE
Silence OF The Lambs SE
Some Like IT Hot SE
The Terminator SE
Thelma And Louise SE
This IS Spinal Tap SE
The Usual Suspects SE
What's the Worst That Can Happen SE
When Harry MEt Sally SE

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Wow...that's a pretty awesome list. Usually the "free discs" offered in similar promotions contain mostly overstocked crap.

I wasn't intending to pick up the Dances With Wolves SE. Now I'm having second thoughts...

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Purchased Star Trek & Adaptation at Circuit City today & I rec'd a free disk: Buzz Clips, which is a compilation of music videos from Peter Gabriel, U2, Cheryl Crow, The Wallflowers, Counting Crows, and others. Anybody else get this? Anybody want my copy?

Adrian_S

Second Unit
I went the Target route for DWW and CC for STN. Both 15.99. But I'm going to check out wal-mart....!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Yep, if Wal-Mart is the only big name retailer in your town, you will likely pay the regular price rather than the competitive prices they're running in areas with lots of chain stores nearby. :frowning:

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Also I checked that the $5 rebate at Coconuts for the Comedian is expired. So wait til Best Buy coupons this weekend. I got 20% off if 3 music/movies/games are purchased.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Like everybody else, no Love Bug or Rescuers anywhere to be found. They must be on the slow catalog shipment schedule or something. :frowning:

Wal-Mart was a mixed bag for me. They DID have 20,000 Leagues for $15.77, which was easily the best price in town. They also undercut CC on Antwone Fisher & The 25th Hour by 22 cents. But they didn't even attempt to compete with Target on DWW - $21 something. I think not!!

Maybe the two missing Disney titles will arrive at BB in time for the upcoming coupon weekend (now if my coupons would just show up...).

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for posting the list of free DVDs in the Dances with Wolves deal.

I had already tossed that insert with barely a glance at it; after reading the list here, I fished it out of the trash.:D

Now I have to choose between Rocky, Platoon, and The Producers.

Jon
(leaning towards Platoon)

Pete Moisan

Auditioning
David, you found Zulu at BB??

Damn, this one by my work really sucks as far as selection going. I'm really looking forward to seeing this in OAR since I've only seen it in on VHS, and even then, it was visually stunning!

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
Strange that the "Rescuers" is not available. DVDFile has a review of the Rescuers DVD. I guess it will be released next week or later.

John Millers

Stunt Coordinator
Just went to Best Buy and attempted to price match the CC $22.99 Windtalkers and Target $15.99 Dances w/ Wolves.

It was a no go. :thumbsdown: The Best Buy $15 deduction is rather a $7.50 discount on each title.

Windtalkers $22.49 + free mail in DVD & $10 upgrade CPN
Dances WW $12.49 + free mail in DVD
Wierd AL CD $11.99 - Pricematched from CC
$50.02 Total

Not bad!

:angry:
Still looking for:
G.I. Joe Limited Edition w/ figure
Love Bug
Rescuers

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Damn, was on the fence about Dances with Wolves (do I really need another version?!?) The free DVD may have pushed me over the edge.

I know this is the wrong place, but anyone watch this yet? Are the additional scenes the deleted scenes form the DWW-SE (DTS) just rolled back into the story or are there even more new scenes?

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
ARRRRGGGGHHHH!! Damn you Target and your cheap price on Dances With Wolves! Now I only have to decide on either Terminator SE or Spinal Tap....choices, choices....

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I don't think I've seen anybody else mention this yet...

I went to Best Buy for my shopping today, and among other things was planning on getting Star Trek: Nemesis. The one I picked up had a small yellow sticker on the front, stating: "Enclosed: Free Nemesis CD ROM". In small print: "With the purchase of this DVD. While supplies last."

Supplies don't seem to be lasting too long, either. While searching for the best copy available (with no exterior damage, no rattling, cover sheet nicely lined up, etc.), I picked up a copy without that sticker on it and put it in my cart without even noticing. I realized in time to fix this before I paid, and when I went back to the display, noted that only about half of the widescreen versions had that sticker. Those that did not have the sticker did indeed feel lighter. (I didn't even look at or check the non-OAR versions.)

There is no real description of the CD-ROM content on the box. The back only adds the following info: "For use on Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, MAC OS 9 and above only. Works in tray loading CD drives only."

So, as yet, I have no idea what this CD-ROM is, but it's free, so if you can get it, you may as well look for it. I don't know if it's a Best Buy exclusive or not. Good luck! :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Nemesis CDROM contains the theatrical trailer, some IPiX stuff, Windows desktop wallpaper and a screensaver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks