1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly RoundUp 4-6-2010

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Mike Frezon, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

The Features

[​IMG]
    – Ian McKellen & Viggo Mortensen (LOTR: Return of the King – 2003)

[​IMG]
    – Robert Redford (The Natural – 1984)

[​IMG]
    – Nicolas Cage & Eva Mendes (The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans – 2009)

[​IMG]
    –Cast (The Unusuals– 2009)

The Prices
    [​IMG]
    Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF
    SD-DVD TITLE Amazon BestBuy Target Costco Ally McBeal: Season 2 [​IMG]
    Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF
    BLU-RAY TITLE Amazon BestBuy Target Costco The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans $14.99 $19.99 $19.99 Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 $62.99 $89.99 Battlestar Galactica: Complete Series Box Set $209.99 $244.99 The Big Gay Musical $26.49 $24.99 Blood Ties: Complete Series $40.49 $34.99 Cocoon (25th Anniversary Edition) $18.49 $16.99 Dolan's Cadillac $14.49 $19.99 Dreamscape $21.49 $19.99 Flight of the Intruder $15.99 $17.99 Jade $14.49 $14.99 Lord of the Rings: Motion Picture Trilogy $63.99 $59.99 $59.99 $64.99 Lord of the Rings (Animated 1978) $19.99 $19.99 $19.99 Madonna: Sticky & Sweet Tour $20.99 $17.99 The Natural $17.49 $19.99 Poseidon $18.99 $24.99 The Relic $12.99 $14.99 Sharpe's Challenge $18.49 $19.99 Sharpe's Peril $19.49 $19.99 The Thomas Crown Affair $15.99 $17.99 M-G-M Blu-Ray DVD Combo Pack Titles
    (See below for titles and warning) $17.99 $14.99
    (CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual Titles in the Collections Listed Above:

Icons of Suspense: Hammer Films (DVD): Cash on Demand, Stop Me Before I Kill!, Maniac (1963), The Snorkel, Never Take Candy From a Stranger, These Are the Damned.

Lord of the Rings: Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray): LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring, LOTR: The Two Towers, LOTR: Return of the King.

Various individual M-G-M "Combo Pack" titles released this week (Blu-ray/DVD): A Bridge Too Far, Bulletproof Monk, Commando, Dodgeball, The Graduate, Hart's War, Hoosiers, Igor, The Last Waltz, Napolean Dynamite, Out of Time, Planet of the Apes (2001), The Protector, Road House, Robocop, Rocky, Roller Ball, Speed, Super Troopers, The Terminator, The Usual Suspects, Walking Tall, Windtalkers. [SIZE= larger]BE CAREFUL![/SIZE] Both amazon and bestbuy.com are describing the DVD discs in these titles to be pan-and-scan (1.33:1). I have a very hard time believing that would be true, but until there is verification...consider yourself warned!

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp
    . The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain!
    If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Amazon has an exclusive release this week of the complete series of The Unusuals.

--Best Buy has EXCLUSIVE BLU-RAY RELEASE of the Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy. It includes the Anduril Sword Letter Opener in a special keepsake box ($74.99). Limited 4 per store. No rainchecks. Sword is NOT a toy. Keep out of reach of children.

--Best Buy has the following Blu-ray titles on sale:

$9.99: Blow, A History of Violence, The Lost Boys, Firewall, Righteous Kill, Behind Enemy Lines, Entrapment, Transporter 2, Running Man.

$19.99: Sorority Row, Couples Retreat, Brothers, Law Abiding Citizen.

$22.99: Armored, Planet 51, Did You Hear About the Morgans?

$24.99: Jennifer's Body.

$29.99: Twilight Saga: New Moon

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: None to report.

--Target this week has no specials on any of the new releases.

--The following Blu-rays are on sale @ Target for $17.99: Fight Club, Quantum of Solace, Coraline, Taken, Bourne Ultimatum, Gladiator, Braveheart. Titles shown and selected others.

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report.

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Well-Known Member

I did notice that Target has a CD/DVD combo pack of the Madonna Sticky and Sweet Tour for $14.98. Not sure what the difference is between that and the BD version that is in the grid. I'll reseach and post later.

Happy Easter!

Edit: The DVD portion of the combo pack is the same as the BD version. The CD in the combo pack includes thirteen of the tracks from the show. Amazon has the combo pack for $15.99 and Best Buy is $16.99.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$9.99 each:
    Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

$14.99 each:
    Julie & Julia
    Funny People
    I Can Do Bad All By Myself
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
    Snow White
    G.I. Joe
    Ninja Assassin

$19.99 each:
    Sherlock Holmes

Blu-ray:

$9.99 each:
    Blow
    A History of Violence
    The Lost Boys
    Firewall
    Righteous Kill
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Entrapment
    Transporter 2
    Running Man

$19.99 each:
    Sorority Row
    Couples Retreat
    Brothers
    Law Abiding Citizen

$22.99 each:
    Armored
    Planet 51
    Did You Hear About the Morgans

$24.99:
    Jennifer's Body

$29.99:
    New Moon

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

Blu-ray:

$17.99 each:
    Fight Club
    Quantum of Solace
    Coraline
    Taken
    The Bourne Ultimatum
    Gladiator
    Braveheart

4. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Well-Known Member

I am really on the fence regarding Lord of the Rings. Be great to see it in Blu, but truthfully, I don't think I have watched the theatrical editions since the Extendeds were released. Boy, some sale on New Moon. 29.99? What's the regular price?

5. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

Nothing for me this week but thanks for the prices, guys.

6. nolesrule

nolesrule Well-Known Member

Joe Kauffman
    I may pick up the animated Lord of the Rings. Gonna hold off on the Trilogy for now (nothing to do with image quality). I was hoping the BSG set would be less expensive. I'll have to wait on that one awhile too. The Mrs. might be interested in The Thomas Crown Affair.

7. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    The Natural Cocoon and the Unusuals for me. I think I'll wait for a used copy of LoTR.

8. Eric_R.

Eric_R. Well-Known Member

Shame they didn't drop the price much of BSG even with the repackaged set. Fortunately the cheapest price on that set is from Amazon.ca. You can get it for $150 for the full blu ray box set.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

Wow, I just saw that Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans made Amazon's top 10 sellers in Blu-ray. Must be that $14.99 price.

I'm working on the review now. First Look has an erratic track record, but they did a good job with this one.

10. Justin_S

Justin_S Well-Known Member

Thanks. Grabbing two of my favorites from 2009 this week, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans and The Collector, both on Blu. Might also pick up The Relic for cheap. Haven't seen that one in ages.

11. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

Didn't know about Cocoon, I don't have that on any fomrat. I'm curious how Thomas Crown translated to BD and how this plays into MGM's current lock-up with BD output and the Bond Tiles, but this is for another thread.

By the way, Amazon list's Crown at $11.99 now

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Does anyone know what's going on with those M-G-M combo packs?

Those DVD discs can't be P&S...can they?!?

13. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

Thanks for the update. I see the full review has posted. I'll have to go check it out.

14. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

Not sure. I did pick up Thomas Crown and the DVD copy in it is a flipper--1.33:1 on one side and widescreen on the other.

15. Arnie G

Arnie G Well-Known Member

The Relic was $10 at my local Walmart

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Hmmmm. I wonder what happened to my image of Robert Redford in The Natural in the OP?

I don't see it anymore.

17. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Originally Posted by Mike Frezon . I deleted some of the product images we had because they had the incorrect cover. If you were using a different image then I am off the hook.

18. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

Looking at these on Amazon it looks like they are in DVD cases.

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

20. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    You mean the picture where they were playing baseball in the blizzard, where all they could see was the red X ?