What's new

Weekly RoundUp 4-5-2011 (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
Wasn't Return of the Joker made for television several years ago? Why would it be widescreen?

I think the director's cut was widescreen while the edited version was fullscreen, if the IMDb is to be believed. Quite frankly, Warner is giving this movie the same treatment is gave Justice League and I have no problem with that. If Mask of the Phantasm or Mystery of the Batwoman are released in 1.33:1, then we have a problem.

Jason, I think you will love Taxi Driver! It's one of the films from the 1970s that come to mind when you think of that era of filmmaking. It is an excellent movie and a classic!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Tino,

I can confirm that worked for me at Target, too!

Target has a "save $8" when you buy both Tron and Tron Legacy that they will allow you to combine with Disney's $5 off coupon for the 4 or 5 disc set.

I got the
--4 disc Tron Legacy 3D/2D/DVD/Digital set $24.99, minus $5 coupon = $19.99

--2 disc Tron Blu/DVD combo for $19.99

then got $8 off for buying both, and paid at total of $31.98 for six discs.

That is one disc more than the five disc complete combo set, which is listed at $49.99.

Originally Posted by David Norman

Or better get it at Target if you have one available (assuming BB doesn't change its prices to match Target on Tuesday like they often will)

4 Disc Tron: Legacy 24.99

2 Disc Tron Classic 19.99 - $8 combination purchase

Total Cost - 36.98

If you have the Target Bunny Munny coupon if you can get one and you should be able to get at least another $5 discount -- 31.98 (+tax)

There are possibly some other coupon combinations that may work to bring it down further.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by eric scott richard

Jason, I think you will love Taxi Driver! It's one of the films from the 1970s that come to mind when you think of that era of filmmaking. It is an excellent movie and a classic!

That's what I'm banking on, Eric. Scorsese, DeNiro, Foster and a lot of people who love it. The worst that will happen is $12 for a movie I don't like. Been there, done that before!

I was wanting to check it out in the theater a few weeks back, but other stuff kinda got in the way.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
At Best Buy, Tron came up like this:

Tron Legacy Blu/DVD $19.99

Tron Classic Blu/DVD $14.99

Pleasant surprise!

mike caronia

Second Unit
I went with the 4 Disc Tron: Legacy 24.99 & 2 Disc Tron Classic 19.99 at Target, out the door for $35 and change.

Used the $5 Disney reward and got the $8 combo discount.

Not bad, considering I was going to buy the 5 disc for $50 at Best Buy...getting the separates gives you a regular DVD of Classic Tron that's not included in the 5 disc set....and $13 cheaper when all is said and done.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Tino said:
Take 'em back and go to Target if you have one near you. You paid $34.98 for 4 discs and at Target you get SIX for $31.98. Every dollar helps right?

Yep. I paid the $31.XX at target this morning for 6 discs.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I would have loved to take advantage of Target's $8-off combo deal (plus the DMC $5-off coupon), but unfortunately EVERY F@$%ING TARGET in my area was sold out of the original Tron... at noon. Huh? A high profile item, which they have ON SALE.... is "sold out"? Something tells me they want to push the (more expensive) 5-disc version (which, by the way, they WEREN'T out of). Oh, and Target is NOT offering rainchecks.

So I gave up on Target and headed over to Best Buy, where I'd pay a few bucks more. Hey, guess what? Best Buy was out of the original Tron too. Seriously, what the fuck? Conspiracy? Perhaps. Reminds of the loss-leader bait-and-switch bullshit Circuit City used to pull.

If it wasn't a high-profile Disney title, I wouldn't be so pissed. But c'mon. Sold out.... on release date? BULLSHIT. Hey retail chains! Don't entice me with great deals and then understock stuff. This is absolute bullshit. I was REALLY looking forward to some Tron tonight, and now it ain't happening. I'm pissed. No, I'm more pissed. This isn't some under-produced hard-to-find collectible. It's a fucking blu-ray, ON RELEASE DATE. I'm livid.

So nobody got my money today, and I don't have Tron or Tron: Legacy. Gee, I wonder why people illegally download stuff.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Based on my experiences at Target, I think the reality is that they haven't gotten it on the shelf yet and are just lying about it being sold out so they don't have to bother to do their job and get it from the stock room. It's rare that when I look for something that happens to be 'sold out' before 10 AM on Tuesday morning that they don't magically have it in stock the next day or even later that day.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Craig did you happen to ask someone to check inventory ?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I know exactly how you feel. I went through the same thing with Target, luckily

for a film I like much less than Tron:

I learned with Tangled of all titles to not wait if you're going to get it at Target.

They had Tangled cheaper than anyone else, and they had their own $5 off in addition

taking Disney's $5 off coupon. I went in at 5PM and they were all gone. They told me to call them Thursday morning to find out if they got more in. They had already called all the local

Targets for another client. But that defeats the purpose if you end up paying $4 for a gallon of gas. (My closest Target is a ten minute walk from my house.) Fortunately Best Buy was matching their pricing, but I ended up paying for a tiny bit of gas....so I have learned now.

(Fry's Electronics, which is my usual haunt, which I also live near, does not take those Disney reward coupons.)

I actually asked my boss specially to come in to work late today (0900 instead of 0700)

because I knew they'd be out of stock by this evening.

If Target has a unique deal on The Incredibles next week, I will have to get my roommate

to head over in the morning on my behalf.

Originally Posted by Craig Beam

I would have loved to take advantage of Target's $8-off combo deal (plus the DMC $5-off coupon), but unfortunately EVERY F@$%ING TARGET in my area was sold out of the original Tron... at noon. Huh? A high profile item, which they have ON SALE.... is "sold out"? Something tells me they want to push the (more expensive) 5-disc version (which, by the way, they WEREN'T out of). Oh, and Target is NOT offering rainchecks.

So I gave up on Target and headed over to Best Buy, where I'd pay a few bucks more. Hey, guess what? Best Buy was out of the original Tron too. Seriously, what the fuck? Conspiracy? Perhaps. Reminds of the loss-leader bait-and-switch bullshit Circuit City used to pull.

If it wasn't a high-profile Disney title, I wouldn't be so pissed. But c'mon. Sold out.... on release date? BULLSHIT. Hey retail chains! Don't entice me with great deals and then understock stuff. This is absolute bullshit. I was REALLY looking forward to some Tron tonight, and now it ain't happening. I'm pissed. No, I'm more pissed. This isn't some under-produced hard-to-find collectible. It's a fucking blu-ray, ON RELEASE DATE. I'm livid.

So nobody got my money today, and I don't have Tron or Tron: Legacy. Gee, I wonder why people illegally download stuff.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Craig, check out last week's RU for the issues I had with Tangled and Best Buy. All I was looking for was the 2 disc version and two different BB's were sold out on either Wednesday or Thursday (I forget when I stopped in). Completely gone. They had a ton of the DVD's and the 3D pack, but not the regular BD combo. BB lost the sale on the movie and a birthday present since I went down the street to Target.

How do you sell out of a brand new release? A Disney movie, at that?

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Rush: Moving Pictures Deluxe Edition on CD+Blu-ray sounds just awesome in DTS-HD MA 5.1! It's a Best Buy exclusive (ha) for four weeks ($19.99), then everyone else can sell it, hence Amazon.com's May 5 release date.

A friend and I also couldn't get original Tron on Blu-ray at both Best Buys locally and he went early!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
They seem to be completely misjudging demand.

I guess if "no one's buying movies" anymore it becomes self-fulfilling that you don't sell many when you don't order enough to meet demand.

I ended up not getting the last 2 Disney animated classic releases on Blu because I couldn't make it on release day and by the time I got to the stores they were all sold out (and then the coupon expired followed by the week 2 price hike).

In 2010, I never had problems like this at Target, and I went there because of the various issues people run into at Best Buy, especially after they made the reward zone program next to useless.

It's just annoying.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I thought I had learned my lesson at Target on Tangled last week (not going until after the work on the day of release, finding it out of stock). I was at Target yesterday when the store opened and they had plenty of stock of all versions of Tron. I thought that the $8 promotion would not work with any extra coupons, so I bought the 4 disc Tron Legacy by itself for $24.00-$5.00 (DMR)-$5.00 (Bunny Money)= $14.99, planning on going back lat the end of the day for the Original Tron BD.

BIG MISTAKE! I ended up getting the last copy after going to 3 Targets. Next time I'll try to push the envelope on the coupons the first time, and if that doesn't work I will check out twice if need be.

The economy must be improving?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So far most Target have been taking DMR for Legacy and the Bunny Munny extra coupon. Many people have also reported being able to use the Tron coupon for the original film as well plus getting the $8 discount. I've not heard of anyone successfully using 4 coupons yet, but 3 $5 off coupons + $8 discount is still pretty nice. For those whose Target were out on Tuesday, most Target seem to get second shipment either on Thursday night/Friday morning so take all of your coupons and go "BUY, BUY, BUY" in the immortal words of Mortimer Duke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks