What's new

Weekly Roundup 4/29 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Qui-Gon John, I'd say you got it EXACTLY right! Thanks for reading my mind and helping me explain what I meant.

re: "..maybe it would be worth considering switching DDD with Amazon for your "baseline" online retailer?" Well, it's something to think about, but for a variety of reasons I'll list below, I doubt I would do so.

To put a very different spin on it, if I switched e-tailers then the HTF owners would surely prefer that I used HTF sponsor Laser's Edge. And if HTF was the only place I posted this information, and/or if I was officially on the HTF payroll, then I would certainly do exactly that. It would be a matter of dollars and sense, right? So far they have been very generous (to me and especially to you, the folks who read this thread) and haven't asked me to do anything different.

Perhaps I should just every week add a link to either DVD Price Search or DDD's new release list...or perhaps both. I can add this to the "fine print" at the top. I think I would prefer just the DVD Price Search one, though...that gives everyone the chance to decide for themselves.

Anyway, as I've explained in the distant past, my biggest reluctances to use anyone besides Amazon has to do with this: 1) I can almost always count on them to have a VERY complete list of titles, and in alphabetical order, in order to extract the Roundup list from; 2) it is safe to say that their prices represent the AVERAGE range of online pricing...the middle-of-the-road, so to speak (whereas DDD is definately at the bottom of the range, which is why you guys like them); and 3) while you DDD fans are saying here and now that they are great to use and easy to get along with, I travel the 'net greatly in search of DVD information, and I often run into complaints about some aspect of their service. On the other hand, a complaint about Amazon is few and far between, and falls into the "anyone can have a bad day" category. They have a top-notch customer service record and great policies to handle just about any problem (I can admire this greatly due to my 14 years of working in the retail world, 10 of them as a manager). So, if based on a price in my Roundup, someone decides to order from Amazon, then I can feel confident that I haven't led them astray. I truly wish I could say the same about Best Buy! :)

I'm sure all of you who are fans of your favorite e-tailer can debate the above 3 points with me to the Nth degree. I'm not looking for that. After all, I volunteer to do this and if I get set in my ways, then y'all should just let me! ;)

Well...let's consider the topic closed for now. Tomorrow is buyin' day, and I've got about $250 worth of shiny round things I *WANT* to buy. What will I end up getting and not getting? We'll see....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i can see how htf might balk at a weekly thread about how cheap ddd prices are as it would essentially be free advert.
and htf does have a paying etailer. although not competitive in the price range they apparently are a good custmer friendly etailer.

i would love to support any sponsor here, but my bottom line says the least expensive gets my money. whether it be sponsor, b&m, or online store.

thats why i check this thread as soon as it appears every sunday.

it's simply the best on any forum for finding the lowest prices each week, due to it being the most organized making it the easiest to read.

i hope the practice of someone posting the lowest b&m prices that david doesnt have time to find, and online store's, prices by others, can continue.

maybe as a courtesy someone can include laser edge prices too? i just checked there and thier prices really arent much diferrent then amazon.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Matthew:

I'm unfamiliar with the title, too!

But, how about that cover art?!?! Doesn't the head on the guy featured on the cover look about 1-and-a-half sizes too big for that body?!?! :laugh:

Sounds like there's a bunch of us here that need some educatin'!

Brian E

Screenwriter
Anyone looking for a good price on Babylon 5: The Complete Second Season should consider buying it from Canada. For example, Amazon.ca have it for $76.31 Canadian ($52.50 US).
That's where I got mine. They also have a $10 off coupon (check DVD Talk) that basically negates the shipping charges. I bumped my shipping to the next level (4-7 day) & I think it cost like $11 Canadian to ship.

My set shipped today too :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Just "Son of the Beach" for me this week (thanks David!) as I'm saving most of my $$$ for a week in Vegas later next month!!!

I really like that show...I don't know why...it just cracks me up....

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Any word on Target or Wal-Mart Treasure Island prices and/or availability yet?

Waiting to head out to one or the other,

- Bob P.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Bob just beat me to it on the Wal-Mart query on Treasure Planet/Island prices. Spooky! My local WM has had good prices (14.07) on some (not all) new releases recently, so I'm curious. That $3 coupon is itchin' to be used!

P.S. -- I wonder if I could use the $3 (magazine) coupon on Treasure Planet AND the $4 coupon (on-package [Treasure Island] instant savings for buying both titles same time) on Treasure Island....

Edit: Called my local WM; they've got Treasure Planet and Island for 15.07 each. Could still be a good deal if I can use both coupons.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Target did indeed have Treasure Planet for $15.99 plus the free bag of Oreo Minis.

The shelf for Treasure Planet was marked as $19.99, but it rang up at $15.99 at the register. My cookies didn't ring up for free, though, but once the checker looked it up in the ad, she adjusted the price.

I didn't look for Treasure Island, so I don't know the availability or price.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the update, John! Heading out for Wal-Mart now. Will let folks know how things look in New Hampshire. (I generally find that they have lower prices here than in some places, and of course, no sales tax! :D )

- Bob

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dave!

I picked up Little Big Man at Best Buy for $17.99 (Only copy they had! - I still don't understand their thought process on stocking). They were out of Speed Racer so I went by Target and got it ($14.99) and Treasure Planet ($15.99).

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, baby! Picked up Treasure Planet at Wal-Mart for $11.98 ($14.98, minus the $3.00 magazine coupon) and Treasure Island for $12.96 ($16.96, minus the $4.00 instant coupon for buying both)!! And of course, no sales tax in NH! So, I'm a pretty happy camper.

It's the little things....

- Bob

P.S. I could have sworn the sign on the display said that Treasure Island was the same price as Treasure Planet ($14.98), but I was in a hurry and the store was very busy, so I just took the $16.96 price that rang up. Still, not bad! :D

P.P.S. Forgot to mention that they had no clue about Little Big Man or Man Called Horse . I don't think they even recognized the titles. Sigh! Oh, well, might pick those up online. They're each still $9.86 at DVDSoon, I believe.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Treasure Island is 19.99 at Target, so looks like it'll be Wal-Mart for me.

Good to see the double coupon thing worked, Bob! I'm going to try the same thing. Seems like it should be okay.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, Treasure Island is indeed at Target, for $19.99, and in my store it wasn't put out "because it wasn't on the plan-o-gram", so I asked for it and she handed it to me. Shoot...an "instant-discount coupon" was even mentioned on the shelf-talker for Planet, right under the free Mini-Oreos! :eek:

Treasure Planet was, of course, $15.99 (same as Two Weeks Notice)! :D

I used the $4 off coupon "toward Island", the $3 coupon from the magazine "toward Planet" (see how I didn't double-coupon any single item? ;) ), and got the bag of mini-Oreos marked from $1.99 to $0.00 once I pointed them to their own ad.

Total price? $28.98...which, if you subtract the value of the cookies, makes it $13.50 per release. Coolness.

I next ventured to Wal-Mart, where I saw Big Jake and Rio Lobo there for $14.96 each. I held off, hoping to find them among the cheap Paramount westerns at Costco (preferably the box sets, too). I saw American Family for a nice price (forget what it is, though), but no Son Of The Beach. Ah...okay, Costco should have that, too. TP was $15.18, but no TI and no mini-Oreo "pricematch" deal (I heard someone ask and get turned down), so I got the better deal on that one...whew. Two Weeks Notice was available for $15.18 as well.

So what did I get at Wal-Mart? X-Men: Wolverine for $12.32! Coolness.

Then I headed to Costco, who had Mr. Bean for $29.99 ($4 lower than the price in the Roundup grid), which I decided to wait on buying due to the situation with the edits (now the production company is saying that this is Atkinson's approved cut, by-the-way). I'll wait a few days and see how this pans out...Costco had plenty of them.

Costco also had Babylon 5 S2 (warning: I hear there are still problems like with S1, with discs being off the hubs inside sealed packages!), Two Weeks Notice, TP and TI, and X-Men: Wolverine...all at the prices I mention in the Grid above.

Costco had nothing else new, and none of the things I wanted to buy today from them: No Son Of The Beach, no Paramount westerns, no Awful Truth. :frowning: I left empty-handed.

So if I want Beach and Truth after all, looks like I better check Best Buy, head to e-tailers. I'll head back to Wal-Mart later for Jake and Lobo, then get the other Paramount westerns at either BB or Circuit City...I'll check CC first and hope they have the box sets at the price their website mentions. I also need to hit up Sam's for the Dark Shadows.

It has NOT been a pleasant day of DVD shopping, despite the nice price on the two Treasures. Sigh.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I got Little big man at borders for 14.99, I could not find it any where else.
Treasure Island at costco for 17.49 (i can't believe the disney store did not have this title in stock, nor did they have a clue it was released today.

Mike_Nepo

Grip
Speaking of Costco, I just came from mine today and they had some Disney classic movies on sale for $12.99 each. These include:

1) A Goofy Movie
2) Sword in the Stone
3) Fun and Fancy Free
4) Robin Hood

I picked up items 2-4 since it's hard enough to find them at those prices. I know it's a bit off-topic, but then David's Costco run reminded me of my fortune.

As for Treasure Planet, I may wait for my local Blockbuster to offer them used at the $9.99 price.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Got Treasure Planet and Treasure Island at Wal-Mart in Midlothian, VA for total of $24.50 including tax; 15.07 each, $3 coupon on TP, $4 coupon on TI. I posted earlier that I called and they told me 15.07 each; when they rang up TI, it came up at 19.96. I told the clerk I'd called in the morning and been told 19.96 and that the tags on the display at the front of the store also said 15.07; another clerk said they'd been told to change the TI price in the system to 19.96, but said I could have it for 15.07 since that's what I'd been told. Woo hoo.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, I followed up at Best Buy for Truth and Beach, and not seeing the Paramount Westerns there I then headed to Circuit City to find them. They hadn't gotten the box sets, they had sold out of Rio Lobo and Little Big Man, they only had 1 crappy copy of Man Called Horse left so I decided they could keep it.

I snagged Big Jake for $14.99, Katie Elder for $12.99, and since I couldn't find The Shootist to complete my "Best of JW Set #2" I grabbed Liberty Valance for $15.99 instead. Not as good a deal as the box set would have been, but I got Big Jake NOOOOOWWWWWW!!!! :) I decided to snag Rio Grande for $15.99 as well, since it will hold me down until I can make it back to Wal-Mart for Rio Lobo (I needed it anyway, and that was the best price I'd seen in a weekend of looking).

The lady who rang me up decided I was just a big Duke nut, so I just smiled and agreed. She is, of course, correct. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks