What's new

Weekly RoundUp 4-29-2014 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Posted Image

The Features

Posted Image

– Deborah Kerr& Yul Brynner(The King & I – 1956)

Posted Image

– Oklahoma(Todd-AO – 1955)

Posted Image

–Sean Connery(The Wind and the Lion– 1975) 

Posted Image

–Meryl Streep (Sophie's Choice– 1982)

Posted Image

– Hill StreetBlues – 1981-1987

– Labor Day– 2013

The Prices
Posted Image
Clickon the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable linkon a title listedbelow will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs  Amazon BestBuy Target
Bad Country $22.94
Betty Boop: The Essential Collection  [OliveFilms]  $22.46
Bob Hope Classic Comedy Collection $14.99
Dead Shadows $14.93
Devil's Due $20.99 $14.99 $14.99
Dynasty: The Eighth Season –Volumes One and Two $46.96
Escape From Tomorrow $13.99
Francis the Talking Mule Collection $14.99
Gimmie Shelter $12.96
Gloria $22.78
Hallucination Strip [Kino]  $17.96
HillStreet Blues: The Complete Series $123.99
Il Sorpasso [Criterion Collection] $15.99
Jim Gaffigan: Obsessed $14.96
Labor Day $15.99 $15.99 $17.99
The Legend of Hercules $14.96 $14.99 $14.99
Masterpiece: Mr. Selfridge The CompleteSecond Season $23.69
Rocket, The [Kino]  $26.96
Up the Junction [Olive Films]  $22.46

Posted Image
Click on theAmazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickablelink on a title listedbelow will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays  Amazon BestBuy Target
Bad Country $22.98
Betty Boop: The Essential Collection [OliveFilms]  $25.46
Dead Shadows   $22.97
Devil's Due $19.99 $19.99 $19.99
Gamera: The Ultimate Collection– Volume 1 $14.99
Gamera: The Ultimate Collection– Volume 2 $14.99
Gimmie Shelter $21.24
Hallucination Strip $27.98
Il Sorpasso   $24.99
Jess Franco's Demons [Blu-ray] [Kino]  $27.98
Jim Gaffigan: Obsessed $20.68
Labor Day $19.99 $19.99 $22.99
TheLegend of Hercules 3D [Combo Pack]   $22.96 $19.99 $17.99
Masterpiece: Mr. Selfridge The CompleteSecond Season $34.99
Notes on a Scandal  -[Amazon Exclusive] $17.99
The Rodgers & HammersteinCollection [Amazon Exclusive]  $179.99
Sophie'sChoice [Combo Pack] $27.98
Space Battleship Yamato [Combo Pack] $9.96
Star Trek: Enterprise [Season 4] [Blu-ray] $74.96 $59.99
Up the Junction  [OliveFilms]  $27.98
The Wind and the Lion $19.79

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer:All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from theirprinted Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by eachchain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the websiteprice.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week inthe RoundUp.The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well asthose which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers(and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this,and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don'tcomplain! If there is a title not includedin the RoundUp that youwant to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough topost and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp.They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, sothere is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR localWal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still outof business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their pricesanyway).

The Specials

--AtBest Buy, this week, the following recent releases are on sale:

[font=" Arial;"]The Secret Life of WalterMitty:  $14.99 DVD/$17.99 Blu

Homefront: $14.99 DVD/$19.99 Blu. 

--BestBuy also has the following Blu-ray releases on sale for just $12.99: Dallas Buyers Club, American Hustle, 12 Years a Slave, TheWolf of Wall Street..

--The following TVreleases are on sale this week at Best Buy (all DVD unless otherwisenoted).  Also, SAVE $5 on your next movie or TV purchase $9.99and up when you buy ANY TV title $9.99 and up:[/font]

$14.99: ModernFamily: Season 1, New Girl: S2, Family Guy: Volume 11, Archer: S3.

$19.99: TheGood Wife: S3, Nashville: S1, Castle: S4, Hannibal: S1(Blu).

--Buyany of the following select titles @ BestBuy and get 100 bonus "My Best Buy" points and $10 in Movie Money tosee The Amazing Spider-Man 2--in theaters 5-2-14 (Minimum of 2. No rainchecks.  Products must be purchased on samereceipt to receive savings.  Select titles only.):  

AvengersConfidential - Black Widow & Punisher:  $12.99DVD/$14.99 Blu

TheAmazing Spider-Man:  $14.99 Blu/$19.99 3-D Blu

Spider-ManTrilogy:  $24.99 Blu

--BestBuy Odds and Ends: None to report.

--Targetthis week hasEXCLUSIVE BONUS CONTENT with their copies of Labor Day on Blu-ray. Bonus Blu-ray disc contains 20+ minutes of behind-the-scenescontent including the pie-making scene.

--Targetis also advertising the DVD of Spongebob: You're Fired! for$8.99. 

--Targethas the following DVDs listed for $16.99:  12 Years a Slave,The Wolf of Wall Street, The Book Thief.

--Target  is marking a "National Princess Celebration" with:

Brave/Tangled/The Little Mermaid:  $17.99 DVD/$22.99 Blu(apiece).  Also, get $5 off ANY Disney Princess Blu when youpurchase any Disney Princess Sparkle Doll for $9.99.  Itemspackaged separately.

--Target Odds and Ends: A list of $9 Fitness DVDs and a list of $8Movie DVDs.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Looks like another quiet week for me, but thanks as always for the RoundUp, Mike.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for the Roundup. Just the R&H set I'm getting this week (and thank goodness for the discounted preorder price last month!), but of course it's not *just* anything. I can't wait to get it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JakeLip said:
I can't wait to get it.
That makes two of us!

Plus, I've got The Wind and the Lion on it's way to me, too!

============

Ugh. I just had to move all my discs ( Blu/DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A/etc.) as part of a furniture re-arranging assignment laid down by my wife. :biggrin: There are SO MANY titles that are still wrapped on those shelves. I've GOT to do better about watching them.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've got Enterprise S4 on preorder. I'm not sweating the price; they've historically lowered the price to match BB or Amazon by the end of release day. Also going in for Avengers Confidential at BB.

Thanks, as always, Mike!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Several titles on the list are assigned to me for review (R&H, Notes on a Scandal, Devil's Due), but none have arrived.

I'm looking forward to receiving The Wind and the Lion, too. Hoping its picture quality comes up to the Warner Archives Blu-ray standard which have all been aces so far.

Thanks, Mike!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Ugh. I just had to move all my discs ( Blu/DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A/etc.) as part of a furniture re-arranging assignment laid down by my wife. :biggrin: There are SO MANY titles that are still wrapped on those shelves. I've GOT to do better about watching them.
Are you still out on medical leave, Mike? If so, it'd be a great time to start binge watching...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
That makes two of us!

Plus, I've got The Wind and the Lion on it's way to me, too!

============

You're not the only one, when I started activating the UV codes along with converted some discs to digital, the majority of the 600 discs I went through so far, still were wrapped on their shelves.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I am working on my Enterprise: Season Four review today. I'll post a link as soon as I finish it up...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
You're not the only one, when I started activating the UV codes along with converted some discs to digital, the majority of the 600 discs I went through so far, still were wrapped on their shelves.
Gee, Robert...when I read your "weekend viewing" thread, I am always amazed at how many flicks you are able to get through in any given week.
Adam Lenhardt said:
Are you still out on medical leave, Mike? If so, it'd be a great time to start binge watching...
I actually am. I'm still not back to work--although I'm thinking of starting to put in a few part-time hours starting sometime soon.

But I haven't gotten through nearly as many as I would have liked.

Part of my problem is that my wife works from home and she's working on some deadlines now. My HT is set up in my living room which is connected (via open archway) to her work space and it serves as a distraction to her if I fire up a film. She can sometimes deal with low audio from a baseball game or an all-news channel...but the dynamics of a movie soundtrack can be a bit too much.

As Emily Latella would say, "It's always somethin'!"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
Part of my problem is that my wife works from home and she's working on some deadlines now. My HT is set up in my living room which is connected (via open archway) to her work space and it serves as a distraction to her if I fire up a film. She can sometimes deal with low audio from a baseball game or an all-news channel...but the dynamics of a movie soundtrack can be a bit too much.
As Emily Latella would say, "It's always somethin'!"
Sounds like a dedicated HT room may be necessary. This may involve a new addition to your home. :biggrin:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Gee, Robert...when I read your "weekend viewing" thread, I am always amazed at how many flicks you are able to get through in any given week.
However, my BD purchases outnumbers my BD viewings, by quite a bit. That problem is compounded even further due to TV program watching, sports, and streaming from Warner Instant, Amazon Instant and such. There is just not enough time each day, when I'm working 50-55 hours a week. Retirement is getting closer each month and I'm really looking forward to it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Baseball season definitely crimps my movie watching quite a bit.

And I hear ya about retirement. It's a few years away for me yet though.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was at Target, and the Spidey films all had $10 in movie cash to see the new one. Interestingly, the boxed trilogy set (with $10 in movie cash) was $30 and the individual BD titles (with $30 in movie cash, IIRC) were $8 each! The most recent film was $15.

Hm. . .I may be misremembering the amount of movie cash on the individual titles. . .

There were some discs with movie cash for the new X-Men, but I forget which ones.

LOTS and LOTS of catalog titles for $5, $7.50, and $8.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Avengers Confidential BD at BB also had the movie cash (along with a bunch of Spider-Man discs with the same sticker).

As a warning: the movie cash code and instructions are on the back of the sticker. It comes off the slipcovers fairly easy...just don't throw it away!

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
No Blu-ray for Gloria? The movie is at 99% on Rotten tomatoes and it doesn't get a Blu-ray release? I honestly don't get why a modern movie would come out only on DVD. Do they think only Joe Sixpack is interested? It's videophiles who buy these movies isn't it?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Robert Crawford said:
Me too. I've converted about 500 thanks to your thread Crawdaddy great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks