What's new

Weekly RoundUp 4-21-2009 (1 Viewer)

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit
On the topic of Blu-ray pricing . . .

I keep waiting for someone to come to their senses on The Bourne Trilogy set. I balked at $64.99, and figured it would drop below $50 within a few weeks. It's now been at $74.99 for over a month. Yikes people!

For me, a price under $20 makes a purchase much more likely. As much as I loved the film Doubt, I really couldn't justify the $23.99 price. Thankfully, I got it brand-new from an Amazon Marketplace seller for $18.99 shipped.

Disney and Universal titles seem to be the ones least likely to go on sale or be part of a BOGO or B2G1 special, which is ironic since most of the discs I'm interested in come from them. But nope . . . it's always older Sony and Warner stuff.

/rant

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'd really like to know how these Amazon Marketplace guys are getting their product so cheap tho. I just bought the CE of Demigod for less than the price of the standard via the MP. I'm cheap on Movies but I'm even worse on games, outside of 2-3 blockbusters a year I dont buy ANY new releases, but the horrible crap the pirates are doing to Stardock made me give in to support a developer i really like. But still, I worry that SD is getting hosed by that marketplace seller, are they stealing a certain number of copies that the dev will never see a dollar of? I just don't know.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

My impression is that some of them are wholesalers who have decided that they can make a few bucks by selling some direct to consumers. Last month I picked up a copy of RELIGULOUS for $10, shipped, when regular Amazon was still selling it for twice that.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Yes, the advertised price in this week's circular is $29.99. I became aware of the potential discrepancy after reading the RoundUp on Sunday morning. Mike has it listed for $24.99 (I assume he got his price off the BB web site) and Patrick lists it for for $29.99 (the print ad price.) Just to be on the safe side, I printed out a copy of the web ad and took it with me when I bought my copy this morning. Sometimes in the past when there has been a difference between the web site pre-order price and the circular price, by the time I get there it has already been changed at store-level to reflect the lower price. That was not the case today, but I just handed the printout to the cashier when I checked out and the match was honored, no fuss, no muss.

It appears that on occasion some forum members have trouble price-matching the BB web site at their local BB store. If you fall into that category and still want to get Sin City for $25, just take in a printout of the listing on Walmart's site. They're selling it for $24.86.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hmmm... I wonder if this (along w/ the movie-cash part of the offer) can be used multiple times (to buy more than just 2 BDs).

I ordered the first two X-Men BDs w/ this (for in-store pickup), but wouldn't mind doubledipping the 3rd one, if the offer works more than once.

_Man_

Chris Brunner

Second Unit

Thanks Dave. I had forgotten that it came out this week since it wasn't in the Roundup. Off to Best Buy!!

Gratefully yours,
C

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Dave: Consider me grateful as well and negligent in expressing that sentiment. But that is exactly how to play the game. Every once in awhile I'll let a desired title slip through the cracks and I always appreciate when others make the effort to check out the prices and post the info. Thanks!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm pretty much Down to getting TV Sets only. Movies only when I know they'll get rewatched, so it's mostly Genre Movies Bond, Superhero Stuff, Sci Fi. Something like the Wrestler, a great film but nothing I need to own, If I want to see it again I'll rent it, but there's always something new to watch so I might not. The Days that I buy something just to see it on my collection shelf, well those days are over, I did that with DVD and I learned my rather expensive lesson.

Just Hawaii Five O for me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
bestbuy.com is showing the individual X-Men Blu titles at $19.99 each now.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FYI, for anyone interested in the movie cash offers, be aware that some of the BD units do not actually come w/ the movie cash included, which you can tell by a big sticker on the front. Seems like someone (maybe at Fox or their distributer) messed up, so not all units have been properly stickered.

I did my in-store pickup order of 2 X-Men separates last night from a local BB, and didn't realize until today that one of them does not have the big sticker (and probably does not include the movie cash code as a result). Gonna have to drop by there tomorrow morning to get it swapped back for a properly stickered one. They better not give me any hassle on the swap. :angry:

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks