What's new

Weekly RoundUp 4-16-2013 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
They should be thinking more about those who buy it...
Yep. I can live with a bonus disc (though I say that because I have all the national retailers within a short driving distance). I can appreciate that chains want an item that will get people into their stores and that a studio needs to squeeze as much money out of a movie as possible (especially in this case where Anchor Bay is only handling video distribution and didn't get a dime from the theaters) but if they're going the bonus disc route, there should be one bonus disc and it gets 'ransomed' off to the highest bidding chain. After that, the next store gets exclusive packaging or the soundtrack or the comic book, etc. if more than one store wants an exclusive.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
By the way, African Cats, and Earth are available for nothing at Disney Movie Rewards for 1650 points each. So if you have about 11 Disney Blu-rays, haven't thrown out the points and haven't joined, you can get them for free shipped.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
rob kilbride said:
By the way, African Cats, and Earth are available for nothing at Disney Movie Rewards for 1650 points each. So if you have about 11 Disney Blu-rays, haven't thrown out the points and haven't joined, you can get them for free shipped.
I've got those points x about a billion, it feels like. :rolleyes: I'll have to check that out tonight. Thanks Rob!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think that the studios figure this: there are two types of people who buy blu-ray movies.
1. The kind who care about bonus features and exclusives.
2. The kind who don't.

For #1 it doesn't matter to the studios who they give exclusives to, because it won't make a difference for #1.

For #2:

[*]some will hunt for the exclusives they want
[*]some may be PO'd that there are multiple exclusives but will still buy any blu-ray version
[*]some will buy multiple copies to get as many exclusives as they can
[/list]
So for the studios it's a no-lose situation. There is very likely not a subgroup of #2 who says "I hate all these exclusives so I'm going to boycott this release altogether". By doing multiple exclusives, they don't risk any sales, and potentially get some additional sales by those die-hards who may buy multiple versions just to get all the exclusives (and I think Tarantino is a filmmaker that qualifies as having some die-hard fans who just might do that).

I looked on the Django Facebook page to see if I could get more info on the exclusives and here's what they list (likely incomplete information):

[*]Target has exclusive Steelbook packaging and a bonus disc featuring the stars of Django Unchained unleashed at Comic-Con!
[*]Can’t wait for April 16th? Get the special Limited EditionDjango Unchained available only at Best Buy, with the exclusive Django on Tour bonus feature!
[*]Django Unchained: Making-Of Documentary at WalmartHere’s a quick look at the exclusive Making-Of documentary, available only at Walmart!
[/list]
Sorry for the links in the above list, I copied and pasted from the Django Facebook page and this new forum software included the hyperlinks. I couldn't figure out how to strip them out.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Carlo Medina said:
Sorry for the links in the above list, I copied and pasted from the Django Facebook page and this new forum software included the hyperlinks. I couldn't figure out how to strip them out.
Place your cursor on the link (you shouldn't have to highlight the text that is hyperlinked) and then hit the Unlink icon that follows the Link icon on the second row of the reply box toolbar.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Yee said:
Place your cursor on the link (you shouldn't have to highlight the text that is hyperlinked) and then hit the Unlink icon that follows the Link icon on the second row of the reply box toolbar.
Using Chrome on a Macbook Pro (running latest OSX Mountain Lion) doesn't give me that option. Here's what I see:

Screen Shot 2013-04-15 at 9.27.50 AM.png

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was referring to the toolbar options in the reply box, not the Apple right-click menu.

You also have to be in Edit mode on your post.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-04-15 at 9.42.01 AM copy.png
    Screen shot 2013-04-15 at 9.42.01 AM copy.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 54

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ah didn't see the unlink button. It worked. I was in Edit mode but didn't realize it wasn't supposed to be the right click button. Thanks!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mike Frezon said:
--The doldrums continue this week...with the exception of the release of Django Unchained.
I beg your pardon kind sir! Two words - REPO MAN. Two more words - CRITERION COLLECTION. Sorry, but Django takes a distant second place in this contest... ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Carlo Medina said:
some will buy multiple copies to get as many exclusives as they can

So for the studios it's a no-lose situation. There is very likely not a subgroup of #2 who says "I hate all these exclusives so I'm going to boycott this release altogether". By doing multiple exclusives, they don't risk any sales, and potentially get some additional sales by those die-hards who may buy multiple versions just to get all the exclusives (and I think Tarantino is a filmmaker that qualifies as having some die-hard fans who just might do that).
Yep, this is the reason for multi-retailer exclusives. The studios (and music labels for CD's) are hoping the most ardent fans will buy multiple copies to obtain all the exclusives, thereby boosting sales figures.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
...which is really lame from the consumer's interests.

That's my point. Fans of the product would need to bend over and pay extra in order to get all the content which could have been made available in one neat and tidy package and accessible to everyone.

That's all. I understand marketing and sales. But as a consumer, I don't like retailer exclusives--especially those which offer up worthwhile bonus content--and especially in terms of music CDs which offer up tracks not available on the standard releases. As artists, the creators of the music should be horrified by such gambits. It totally destroys the construct of the musical release in terms of a cohesive presentation.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So has anyone decided which exclusive for Django Unchained is the best? You have three hours to tell me the final, definitive answer. That's the time I plan to leave work and head out to a store to buy it. :lol:

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
I wanted Wings of Life but Target was the only store that even stocked it. And they wanted $29.99. Best Buy only sells it online. Wal Mart didn't get it in either. Even Amazon is too much for a friggin 80 minute nature movie. I own all of the DisneyNature line but never paid these prices. I'll wait & probably get it from the Disney Movie Club when Atlantis, Lilo & Emperor's NG come out. They will probably be high in B&M stores too (like Mulan, Hunchback & Brother Bear). Worked out best getting all of them like I did with those. You pay through the nose for the first but then 1/2 price on the rest makes it a reasonable purchase. I'll get it but I can wait for Wings of Life.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I picked up the steellbook at Target.Was half hoping that it would be sold out so. Wouldn't buy it but the collector in me took over.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Went to the Movie/Music section of my closest Target tonight and was greeted by this:

Target 1.JPG

But, fortunately, I remembered there might be some on display up by the front registers and I found three Blu copies left there. Phew!

Target 2.JPG

:biggrin:

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I picked up Django at WalMart. The bonus content at Best Buy (Django on Tour?) and Target (Django at ComiCon) sounded incredibly uninteresting. WalMart was advertising it as a Making Of. I haven't checked it out yet.

Plus, since I work nights, it's the only place open when I get off work so I didn't have to stay up late for it. They only had about 15 copies in the racks.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ugh I forgot about the "limitedness" of some of these exclusives. A Target is on the way to work, but I'll bet they're sold out of DU exclusives. So I'll probably end up going to a local Best Buy. No Wal-Mart within 20 miles of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks