What's new

Weekly RoundUp 3-7-2006 (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I had no idea HP&TGOF would be coming out in seperate editions. This is one of my current DVD pet peeves. Especially considering a 2 disc SE was the standard for the prior 3 releases.
I hope for this reason, the features are less child oriented for the extra $6+.

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator
Here's Amazon's breakdown of the Harry Potter SE extras:

Additional Scenes
Challenges:Triwizard Tournament Challenges: Dragon, Lake, Maze plus To the Graveyard and Back Challenge
DVD ROM Features:EA Game Demo, Magical Trading Cards, Hogwarts Timeline, Web Interactivity
Featurette:Tons of Making-of Featurettes and Behind the Scenes looks including Harry vs. the Horntail:The First Task, In Too Deep: The Second Task, The Maze: The Third Task, Meet the Champions, He Who Must Not Be Named, Preparing for the Yule Ball
Interviews:Conversations with the Cast: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson
Theatrical Trailer

None of this is mentioned on the listing for the single-disc version. That doesn't mean that none of it is on the single-disc version - Amazon's not always perfect about listing extras - but it should be a good indication of what's on the 2-disc.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
single version does not have one extra at all. completely bare.

Dillon*G

Second Unit
I'm getting:
-Cosby Show:Season 2
-Harry Potter and TGOF: 2-Disc
-Howl's Moving Castle
-Jarhead: 2-Disc
-My Neighbor Totoro
-Three's Company:Season 6

Might get Whispers of the Heart if like in the previous wave if you buy all three you can get one previous one for free. I'll have to see if this holds true for this wave.

Thank you very much Mike and Patrick.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Thanks for your hard work with the roundup info. It is really appreciated! Arnie;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For all those wondering about whether to go for the cheap price on the Harry Potter/Goblet of Fire (1-disc)...or for the extra features of the Harry Potter/Goblet of Fire (2-disc)....

there is an entire thread over in Software/Movies on this very subject.

Arguments fall on both sides--ranging FROM not wanting to reward the studios for this annoying price structure TO wanting to keep the Harry Potter titles in the collection on a parallel two-disc footing.

Me? I'll be going 2-disc (as much as the pricing structure DOES seem to be getting out of hand). this is a title-by-title decision for me. For example, War of the Worlds (which was a blind buy for me) was purchased as a one-disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just did a little checking around and found that Amazon.com has lowered its price on the Potter/Goblet of Fire (2-disc) from $21.99 to $19.96! :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I hate that I'm drawn to the concept of the lenticular cover at Target like the moth to a flame. That's $3 more my attraction is costing me!

Brian L D

Agent
Anyone notice that it will cost more at Best Buy to purchase the 4 movie / 8 disc box set of the Harry Potter movies then it will to buy them each seperately?

Unless my math is wrong.

8.99 + 8.99 + 8.99 + 20.99 = 47.96, which is less then their 49.99 price for the set. Brilliant move on their part :rolleyes

I have yet to get any of the Harry Potter movies, so I was planning on getting this box set. Guess I'll have to try to find a Circuit City ad and price match.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I had no idea a Tennesse Tuxedo disc was coming out. I'm thrilled-after checking Amazon for details (there really weren't any) I noticed a Go Go Gophers disc is coming out as well. Thanks for the work you guys do every week. It is appreciated.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the roundup. :)

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous for Warner Bros. to keep putting out Harry Potter collections every time a new movie is released, just like Scholastic puts out a new collection every time a new book is released.

They should just release the movies without a box, and then release a giant box set for all 7 movies, and have a mail-in offer for those who bought them all one at a time.

Did they ever release 1 & 2 with regular packaging similar to the packaging on 3 & 4? Or release 3 & 4 with digipak packaging like 1 & 2? It looks odd to see the movies with different packaging on a DVD shelf.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Warner Bros. has done this consistently with several of their TV titles as well. Smallville immediately comes to mind, but I know there are others. My guess is, from a marketing standpoint, this has proved to be a successful ploy or they would not continue to do it.

Thanks for the RoundUp Mike and Patrick! This looks like a fairly light week for me, just Harry Potter and The Shaggy Dog.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Brian: I'm not certain, but I think there have been single disc releases of the HP movies released after the original two-disc releases. I wonder if that is what's afoot here?!

If you are thinking about picking up the movies...I would definitely check into that 1-disc vs. 2-disc situation. The reason I'm not fully schooled on this is that I've been buying the discs at their release date so i haven't been keeping up. It just seems to me I've seen 1-disc HPs floating around and was wondering if that's what's making some of these deals so cheap.

Brian L D

Agent
Thanks for the heads-up about possible 1 disc releases of the early Harry Potter movies, I'll keep my eye out when I go shopping Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread