What's new

Weekly RoundUp 3-31-09 (1 Viewer)

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Thanks, Mike. Even though I don't chime in every week, your roundup posts are greatly appreciated.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I didn't see this posted yet, but I was in BB to get my Never Say Never price match...they have all seasons of the slim case X Files for $19.99 again. I almost bit on them but wouldn't be able to justify that big purchase after last week.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I only got NSNA at BB, Steve, and they had no problem with that price match. From what I understand around the web, BB is honoring the price match; mine didn't even call to see if Target had any in.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
I have been a loooong time lurking member, but something that I learned yesterday has brought me to post. I was extremely dismayed to find that major chains aren't carrying the Warner musical Blu-rays in-store. Not now, and no plans for the future. Online only.

This means you can't just walk into a store and buy the following Blu-rays:

An American in Paris
Gigi
South Pacific

Granted, I buy online most of the time, but this isn't a trend I like. Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, AND Fry's aren't carrying it in stores. There may be a local DVD shop here in Austin that carries it, but none of the majors are.

What a strange turn in the Era of Instant Gratification.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That's extremely odd, Moises. These may not be marquee titles like Quantum of Solace or Bolt, but there is a market for old school musicals. Add to that they're from major studios (Warner and Fox-South Pacific). Maybe someone can help my memory, but I don't recall of the top of my head if any other product has been kept out of the major B/M's.

Oh yeah, welcome to the thread!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I purchased Blu-ray versions of An American In Paris, Gigi and South Pacific at my local Fry's on Tuesday morning.

- Walter.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
The only source I have is checking the B/M's websites and checking with local stores of each.

Best Buy showed me that it was in their system as an Online Only item not even eligible for in-store pickup after ordering online.

Target's website says American and South Pacific are available in store and online, but that they're both Out of Stock, and three stores I spoke to in Austin told me that it's coded as an online-only item. Their website doesn't know the word "Gigi."

I can't fathom this being a studio-driven decision. Time will tell if stores start carrying it later on, but for the time being, the absence is conspicuous. It could be due to delayed order fulfillment from the distributor or it really could signal a weird trend, even given market conditions.

Walter's post is evidence that the Fry's website is not reliable for hard truth, nor are their employees. Fry's told me they didn't have it on the phone, but I may just have to go there myself and see if they didn't know how to spell the words "An," "American," "in," and "Paris" as well as "South" and "Pacific." I'm not being sarcastic, it's entirely possible this is the case.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moises:

Glad to have you on-board! :emoji_thumbsup:

Frankly, the absence of these titles in my local stores has surprised me as well...even though B&Ms have given up on stocking catalog titles on release week (or shortly thereafter) quite a long time ago. For some reason, I thought these particular titles (especially South Pacific) would be different. They're not.

I went looking--just last night-- for all three of the titles you mentioned (in addition to The Robe) and came up empty at Best Buy, FYE, Target & Wal-Mart. The only "must have" for me is South Pacific. I'll be hoping for a good price to pick up The Robe. An American in Paris has fallen off my list due to a sub-standard audio track. I've never been a huge fan of Gigi but would bite if the price is right.

I figure to place an order at amazon for SP & TR pretty soon.

Back to your post: South Pacific is the one whose absence surprises me as the R&H titles are usually carried rather prominently in retail stores. Oh. I did find all their SD counterparts (for all the titles I've mentioned in this post) at many of the stores.

And Fry's still hasn't built a store near me. :frowning:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Moises, glad you found the titles.

It seems real hit or miss with catalog titles and brick and mortar stores. I generally will look for local copies and if I can't locate them then use amazon.

- Walter.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

Well, we don't have a dog, but I'm in for one anyway since my son says he can feed the Puppy Chow to his Munchlax. Whew!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks