What's new

Weekly RoundUp 3/23 (1 Viewer)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
My favorite chain DVD/electronics store had "CSI: Season 3" out today and insisted that today WAS the release date, although it was not on sale and wasn't in their weekly circular. I spoke with 3 different employees in blue shirts, and they all said the same thing and left all 8 copies on the shelf. Went ahead a purchased it (for their regular $72.99) and will just adjust the price next week when it's on sale. They did the same thing with the last "Alias" release and there were NONE left on it's scheduled release date the following week.

FYI: they price-matched "Honey" with CC for $17.99 and there was a peel-off coupon on the DVD for "$5.00 off now if purchased using your MasterCard" so final price was only $12.99.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Meijer had a big display of Beyond the Mat: SE, The Rundown, and Honey. It said that if you bought two of the three, you could get a free DVD by mail. Does anyone know the details on this?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

I agree, Mike. Since I usually don't get around to buying all the DVDs I want on or near the release date, I usually want at least a couple DVDs that show up on those lists at 2 for $15 or 2 for $20. I hope they do a 2 for $30 deal when the next wave of Warner 2-Disc SE's come out on 4/7.

I look forward to seeing these deals as much as anything else on the Roundup.

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
Dang these roundups! Far too often do I check the roundup, thinking there is nothing out that week that I want, only to find that there is at least one release that I didn't know about and thus need to go spend more money on. This week it was the Jewel: Live at Humphrey's by the Bay DVD (ended up getting a bunch of other stuff on the trip into town to get that one DVD--finally bought Holes, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, and Diana Krall: Live in Paris).

My wallet hates you.

So does my DVD rack, which is now completely full. And my tiny dorm room doesn't have any more space for a bigger rack.

But I love the roundups! I'm sure I've saved tons of money thanks to them (money which usually goes into more DVDs).

Keep up the good work!

Dave (no, not that Dave)

Tanja

Agent
now i can see that amazon isn't that cheap. i posted a thread about diffenreces in dvdprices between internet and normal shops. some told me that the dvd's are mostly cheaper in the net.

now at least not in your list

how about criterions? are those cheaper in the shops than in the net (f.e. those 40$ DVD's cost about 28$ at Deepdiscountdvd.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Hi Tanja! This is a hard question to answer. While many times, internet outlets may seem cheaper, you've got to consider the entire cost (adding shipping & handling, if required). And, for many, there is the immediate gratification of having the product in-hand in a brick & mortar store (although, many internet stores provide early shipping on new release orders). Pricing right now is varying widely from week to week. Loss leader pricing on new releases here in the U.S. seems to be on the decline...whereas a few months ago I would have recommended highly buying any new release the week it came out. Now, I'm not so sure. I guess the best answer I can give you (and this is true about Criterion releases, too) is to shop around at all the outlets you like to see who's got the best price. I'm afraid there's no clear cut formula and the answer to who's-got-the-lowest-price varies from week-to-week and release-to-release.

I guess that's why this is a Weekly Price RoundUp and not just a new release listing. ;)

Tanja

Agent
thx very much Mike

i'm gonna be in the west (nevada,arizona,california) for about 2 1/2 weeks from next week on.

i've now ordered diverse dvd's from deepdiscountdvd (mostly criterion). but i'll take a look through different shops (i know for their good prices in many stores: best buy, circuit city, walmart, k-mart (which i think always has a very awful selection or better: almost no DVD's). are there other shops you can recommend?

what about blockbuster etc? are they selling used too (to good prices)? can you get new dvd's there too, or are those too expensive to buy them at those video stores like blockbuster, hollywood etc.

can someone give me a good advise on Film shops who have movie goodies? what about toys'rUS (action figures etc., plushs etc.)? do they have a good selection?

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator

The best etailer to buy Criterion's from is dvdplanet. One nice thing is that once you've ordered from them, they've been sending out $5.00 off, customer appreciation coupons...these are especially nice to apply to Criterion's, combined with free shipping.

Retail stores typically charge full price for these discs.

H

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Before buying anything from DVD planet please read this thread onDVD Planet, as several forum members including myself have had problems with them over the past year.

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator

This doesn't have much to do with the RoundUp anymore, but I just wanted to say that I approve of your music selection. Barenaked Ladies is my absolute favorite band. :emoji_thumbsup: I've got their discs "Barelaked Nadies" and the "Too Little Too Late" DVD single in my music collection, along with Diana Krall, Jewel, Norah Jones, and a music video DVD sampler I got free at Circuit CIty when I bought the latest Norah Jones CD.

I, too, lament the decline of loss-leader pricing on new releases. I've gotten to the point where, if the DVD is a rather big new release title (and not a little-known or catalog title) and I don't have a huge desire to get my grubby hands on it ASAP, I'll usually hold off for a few weeks and pick it up used for $10 at one of my local video rental chains. This really only works for popular movies for which rental stores will have a ton of copies when it is released, (then they sell off the extra copies as demand declines) and not so much for catalog titles or rereleases.

As always, your hard work is greatly appreciated. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
anyone see any FYE sales for next week yet? They usually say in the store what you can preorder and if there are rebates with it. Looking for "Something's Got to Give".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don't usually do a lot of FYE shopping, Phil. Although I was there last week. I'm not captivated by those rebate offers. Too much effort for bottom line prices not much different than BB or CC. Do you do them a lot? Are they fast/dependable?

And, anyway, HTF policy says we'd have to wait till Sunday to post next week's deals anyway. ;)

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Mike,
School of Rock was the first that I ever bought from one of their stores. It was $20 with a $10 rebate and I thought that was a good deal at least $5 cheaper than anyone else. I already received email Monday from the rebate center saying it was approved so that was another good sign.
I preordered it and got the cd case freebie too that was in a small number of packages (since they set them aside for the preorders). So for anything that's in the $10-12 range I would consider them again, even though I don't go to the mall much anymore. I'll have to call them tomorrow to check on any new deals; too bad they don't put the rebate info on their web site (they are for b&m only I guess).

Wasn't sure if I would had violated policy to list prices if they have the rebate on display in their store ahead of time? I know they had other rebates listed then for dvds that weren't out for several weeks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Probably not. It does seem like they are advertising those rebates WAY ahead of release date. But, on the other hand, they don't seem to be advertising them well at all. Practically in-store only. And I'm just out of the habit of going in there because of their unusually high prices. Although some of their stores are developing rather nice Used DVD sections.... :D

Still...to still be waiting on a rebate from School of Rock makes it seem that the tracking and paperwork may not really be worth it...even for a pretty good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks