What's new

Weekly RoundUp 3-18-2008 (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The lack of Southland Tales on Blu-Ray is disheartening, but I've gotta' pick it up anyway. Perhaps they'll release the original cut on the format later on.

Thanks for the info.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Mike,

We certainly appreciate all the work that you put into the Roundup every week. I know it's always the first piece of information that I look for when I hit this forum on a Sunday. It's just really *fantastic* to be able to go to one place and see not only all the major titles that are "streeting" this week, but also the prices that the retailers will be asking for the titles on Tuesday. The "on sale" information that Patrick provides is also invaluable.

To tell you the truth, I've often wondered how you guys have been able to find the time to do such a stupendous job on this each and every week. (And I also thought the same about David Lambert before you.)

Perhaps it's time to ask for some volunteers to come forward to help out with the Roundup. All of this work shouldn't have to be shouldered by just one or two individuals on a weekly basis. There probably needs to be a team of around 10 members working on this with some members specializing on just the research portion of the Roundup and others the presentation side. Perhaps the work could even be rotated among members on a weekly basis.

Speaking of the research: I can't even imagine how you guys are acquiring all the "flyer" info prior to Sunday morning! If this is a significant part of the work involved, perhaps that's one area that could be altered. Simply delay the report to mid-day Sunday (or Sunday night) before posting the Roundup. After all, the new titles can't be purchased until Tuesday anyway.

In any event, I'm sure that there's a good percentage of the membership here (not to mention site "guests") that consider the "Roundup" to be essential weekly reading. And I'm also sure that none of us thank you enough for the great job that you do on this every week. I, for one, have greatly appreciated it!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Hey Mike, as I said before, totally understandable about that being too much additional work. Heck, you've got more than a full plate just doing what you do right now. This is pretty much what I figured, but I asked anyway, just on the off chance that you might have had a way to easily make that change.

As others have said, I totally appreciate all your hard work and always look forward to the Roundup on Sunday. Just wish my memory was better so some of the titles I'm not scratching my head as to what is that movie. But I do follow your suggestion for ones I think I might have an interest in, usually searching on IMDB.

Thanks again for all your hard work! :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm conflicted, on one hand I want to finish of BSG on DVD, On the otherhand I know it's headed for Blu at Some point, but I think DVD will Win out since I started collecting them this way. Plus more than likely I'll just Encode them for my Apple TV and throw the Disks on the Shelf. Also good price on 101 Dalmations, I passed because I had thought I bought the oiginal disk, but after checking I don't have it so will probably pick it up. Good Price on what turned out to be a weak season of 24. But I think I might wait a bit longer on that. I find I have'nt really watched too many of my Serialized TV shows because your committed to watch the Entire season if you start...

Sigwolf

Agent
Real Name
Dave
I just wanted to add another note of appreciation for the work that goes into the roundup every week. It is always the first thing I check when looking for new releases.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it, though? Pretty was the main thing that movie had going for it (other than the surprising revelation that Seann William Scott actually can act). I'll pass and hope that Sony does a BD release around when The Box hits theaters.

So, Enchanted on Blu-ray, Justice League on HD DVD, and Funky Forest: The First Contact (two and a half hours of prime Japanese insanity) on DVD for me. Maybe Mulberry Street if it's got some extra features and any of the other After Dark titles wind up tempting me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
most of the flyer ads are availale on saturday if you get your paper delivered
or buy it at a local grocery store.

mike gets some prices from the store web site.

the round up would be severely missed but if mike needed a reak and left it i could understand.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
A scanned version of the Enchanted coupon is floating around too...so for those of you interested in only the BD version--if you can get BB or CC (hopefully Walmart too, if they'll have it tomorrow and offer it for $25) to accept a scanned-copy coupon... ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, Tony...let's not start a panic! ;) :D

I guess the point of my prior post was NOT to spark any sort of alarm...but sort of wonder aloud is anyone has thoughts about the RoundUp: which might include sections that are expendable. Like I said in that post, one of the places I've been thinking of cutting back is simply the number of titles I include each week.

Thanks to all for your show of support. It is--as always--much appreciated.

Joseph: Thank you for your post. There are some good, solid positive ideas included. Thanks for those.

One point you broach is the timeliness of the post. Maybe that's one I will take into serious consideration. There have been times when making the appointment to be at my computer at midnight has been quite difficult...and, at times, impossible.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
BTW...my local Sunday newspaper (the Albany Times-Union) had a coupon printed in the cartoon section(!) for 40% off any USED DVD or CD at an F.Y.E. (TransWorld) store.

Them things is excellent! :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think listing all the bonus deals could go away (i.e. "Get Market Pantry water with purchase of Lawrence of Arabia etc.). That looks like a lot of typing and scrutinizing of the circulars.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Joseph,
Your comment (and Mike's detailed weekly workload) made me just a bit nostalgic for the days when I worked at Target. For the last several months that I worked there I was Mike's "insider" not only for the advertised titles, but for the DVDs that we carried that never made it into the circular. At that point, retailer "exclusives" just started catching on and I was able to give details on what they included. I felt I was "doing may part" to give back to the best thread on HTF!

I got so sentimental that I did a search on the last Roundup that I was able to help out with...http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...28-2006-a.html---almost two years ago to the week---to see the nice "tribute" I got from Mike!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

For all the kidding we do about that long-ago Market Pantry Water deal...a LoA tie-in would actually be kinda funny! :D

So, Malcolm...is that another way of saying you think the price table is the raison d'etre of the RoundUp?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Is there anything special about any retailers' version of Battlestar Galactica Season 3? Or is this the first time there's no Best Buy bonus disc or anything? (Thank goodness if so -- I've been tricked into buying from Best Buy twice in the hopes of receiving their exclusive bonus disc and never have. Bought them later on ebay but I freaking hate Best Buy now).

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator

Since Amazon shipped my BSG today, I hope there's no retailer exclusive. :D

Best Buy did not have an exclusive disc with Lost Season 3, but they did with the first two seasons. I'm guessing it's the same deal this time around with BSG, but I could be wrong. :crazy:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm very tempted by At World's End, The Simpsons Movie and Live Free or Die Hard in that Target sale, but while trying to determine which two to get, I realized that all three are A+ Prime Candidates for future double-dips. . .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I suppose. That's the part I usually check. I may skim the deals occasionally, but I'm mostly here for the prices (and the Market Pantry water jokes). :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh:

A priest, a rabbi and a parrot each walk into a bar. Each of the three is holding a bottle of Market Pantry Water....

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator

Wal-Mart had the exclusive disc for Lost Season 3. Seems studios play "exclusive disc retailer roulette" -- for example: Desperate Housewives; Season 1, Best Buy had an exclusive disc; Season 2, Target had an exclusive disc; Season 3, Circuit city had an exclusive disc.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

Excellent idea. Starting next week, please include in your Roundup only those titles including the word, "Pokemon." It'll save us all a lot of time sifting through the chaff to get to the Weavile. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks