What's new

Weekly RoundUp 3-17-2009 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
htf_imgcache_37555.jpeg

The Features

– Robert Pattinson & Kristen Stewart (Twilight – 2008)

– Peter Ustinov (Quo Vadis – 1951)

– Dodes’ka-Den – 1970

– Victor Mature (The Robe – 1953)
This photo was taken for a Life Magazine article on the arrival of CinemaScope.
The feature mentions the man on stage is 5’ 8” tall in front of a 63’ by 24’ screen.

– Cary Elwes & Robin Wright Penn (The Princess Bride – 1987)

The Prices

SD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyTargetCostcoAngel Wars: The Messengers$13.99$14.99Barney Miller: Season 3$20.99$24.99DeGrassi – Next Generation: Season 7$36.99$44.99Dodes’ka-Den (CC)$26.99$24.99Eclipse Series 15 – Hiroshi Shimuzu (CC)$53.99$59.99Elegy$19.49$19.99$19.99JAG: Season 8$35.99$38.99$39.99Married With Children: Season 10$25.99$25.99Mr. Belvedere: Seasons 1 & 2$29.99$34.99Murnau Box Set$89.99$89.99The Nanny: Season 3$29.99$34.99Punisher: War Zone (1 disc)$17.99$17.99$16.99Punisher: War Zone SE (2-disc)$21.99$21.99A Pup Named Scooby-Doo: Seasons 2, 3 & 4$14.99$14.99The Robe$14.99$14.99Three Stooges Collection: Vol. 5 (1946 – ’48)$15.99$19.99Twilight SE (2-disc) (3-21-09 release)$22.99$22.99*$17.99$20.99The Velveteen Rabbit (2007)$14.99$14.99$14.89The Zeta Project: Season 1$18.99$18.99

BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyTargetCostcoBolt (3-disc) (3-22-09 release)$27.99$27.99$27.99Hit Man: David Foster & Friends (Amaz. Excl.)$18.99The Matador$20.99$24.99The Princess Bride$22.99$22.99Punisher: War Zone$26.99$26.99$26.99The Robe$24.49$29.99Quo Vadis$19.99$24.99Twilight (3-21-09 release)$24.99$24.99

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual titles included in box sets listed above:

Murnau Box Set: Nosferatu, Faust, The Last Laugh, Tartuffe, The Haunted Castle, The Finances of the Grand Duke.

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Save $5, instantly, at Best Buy this week if you buy your copy of Twilight (DVD or Blu-ray) ALONG WITH the Twilight soundtrack CD. Must be purchased on same receipt. Offer valid through 3-28-2009.

--Also at BB this week, the return of the 2/$30 deal on the following list of Disney titles: High School Musical 3: Senior Year, Oliver & Company, Space Buddies. Reg. $19.99. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--The following Blu-ray discs are on sale for $14.99 at best Buy this week:

Black Hawk Down, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, The Fifth Element, Hellboy, Men in Black, The Patriot, Starship Troopers, tears of the Sun. Reg. $24.99. Available now. More in-store and online.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: Best Buy has a the DVD of Australia on sale for $14.99 and a set of on-pack stickers with its copies of Barbie: Thumbelina ($14.99).

--*Target, this week, has a pretty sweet exclusive this week…AN EXCLUSIVE 3-DISC DELUXE EDITION OF TWILIGHT WITH FREE iTunes DOWNLOAD. Set includes Twilight 2-disc DVD SE plus an exclusive bonus disc with over 45-minutes of content including: a conversation with Stephanie Meyer, Robert Pattinson on “Becoming Edward”, Kristen Stewart on “Becoming Bella”, Music from the film and more. Free iTunes download includes a digital copy of the film, plus all bonus content.

--Target also has an EXCLUSIVE 2-DISC DELUXE BLU-RAY EDITION of Twilight with FREE iTunes DOWNLOAD—AND all the bonus content from the exclusive 3-disc deluxe DVD edition listed above—for $24.99.

--Target Odds and Ends: None listed this week.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy on sale DVD items:

2 for $30:
Space Chimp
High School Musical 3
Oliver (Disney)

$19.99 each:
Role Models
Transporter 3

Australia $14.99

South Park season 12 $39.99

$14.99 each:
Black Hawk Down
MIB (Men in Black)
Starship Troopers
Tears in the Sun
The Patriot
Hellboy
Dracula
The Fifth Element

$19.99 each:
Transformers
Eagle Eye
The Ruins
Tropic Thunder

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

No catalog titles listed on sale

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks for the Roundup!

Interesting that Twilight [BD] would be pushed back so far. Especially given that it has been pimped and re-pimped with so many various store "exclusives".

Slow week for me. Will be picking up Zeta Project sometime down the road.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I should probably also note (for those caught unawares) that while Disney's Bolt is being released on Blu-ray on Sunday, March 22...the SD-DVD won't be released until Tuesday, March 24. Those prices will be in next week's RoundUp.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Important Twilight BD Update!

This article explains that Best Buy and Target have exclusive rights to release Twilight on Blu-ray disc this week...while all other retailers (including amazon) have to wait until May 5. I have now included Twilight (BD) in the price grid above.

Sorry for any confusion.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thanks as always Mike and Patrick for the Weekly RoundUp.

With 3 teen daughters in my house, the one MUST HAVE new release this week is Twilight on Blu-ray.

The party has already been planned . . . we're expecting 15 to 20 teen girls for a Twilight party / movie viewing on Saturday night. :eek:
The ads are correct - Twilight will be released on Blu-ray on Saturday March 21st . . . but the Blu-ray is exclusive to Best Buy and Target until May 5th (when it goes wide to all other retailers). It's definitely an interesting release strategy.

Here's some links with the details - be sure to check them out:

Blu-ray.com - Twilight Blu-ray to be Best Buy/Target Exclusive

VIDEOBUSINESS: TWILIGHT BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVELY AT TARGET AND BEST BUY - Twilighters Anonymous Website

Twilight Blu-ray exclusively at Target, Best Buy - 1/21/2009 - Video Business

Summit Entertainment does not have any press releases on their site ( Summit Entertainment ) addressing this Blu-ray strategy, but based on the above links, several others sites, and the BB and Target ads, I think that we will see the Blu-ray version at Best Buy and Target on Saturday the 21st.

If anyone else is hosting a Twilight party, be sure to check out the "DVD Party Kit" at TWILIGHT - The Official DVD Site - ON DVD 03.21.09

For me this week I'll rent Punisher, and I'm considering a blind buy on The Robe.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'll Pick up S8 of JAG at the end of the Month when S4V1 of VTTBOTS comes out, right now my Spending Money is :frowning:DEPLETED.:frowning:

(That's what I get for buying Sky King!):laugh:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Interesting info on the BD release of Twilight (although I don't own one...)

Wal-Mart has been running TV ads this week (I believe I saw them during American Idol) for Twilight @ $17 (available at 12:01am Friday for stores that are open 24 hours).

John Swarce

Second Unit
Glad to see the Three Stooges: Vol. 5 finally coming out! I believe this includes the start of the Shemp shorts (and the unfortunate end to the Curly shorts :frowning: ). I think this is the only thing I will pick up this week. I love a good vampire movie, but I hear Twilight is more geared for the pre-teen girls, so I will have to pass on this.

Now if you need a good vampire movie fix, I highly recommend "Let The Right One In"! Released last week!

--John

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up The Three Stooges Collection: Volume Five this week. I'll nab Married... With Children: Season Ten when it goes on sale in another 3 or 4 months.

Thanks for the prices, guys!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I only heard terrible things about it so I think a rental might be your best move.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the prices, guys.

Getting Three Stooges 5 this week, will eventually get Married W/ Children 10 and Belvedere 1&2 (still surprised that's being released). I'm also debating getting the Bolt Blu on Sunday but at $28 I think I'll wait until it gets a little cheaper.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I hate to expose my ignorance on this, but aside from all the hype, would Twilight be tolerable to a 66-year-old male?

Thanks in advance.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to step on anyone's toes but it seems like something that is primarily enjoyed by teens or people that like the romantic aspect of vampires. In the interest of full disclosure, I've never seen it so it could be the coolest thing around.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Does the Twilight BD exclusive exclude rental chains as well? What about independant (mom and pop or small towns without Blockbuster) rental stores?
And Bolt only on Blu this week? What is the rational behind these moves?

James@R

Second Unit

It depends on how much you enjoy mindless violence, and how seriously you take comicbook films.

If you're the kind of person that understands the appeal that Cannon Films had back in the 1980s, then you would probably like Punisher: War Zone.

On the other hand, if you think every comicbook property should be approached as literature...just don't get involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks