What's new

Weekly RoundUp 3/15/05 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Starburst Edition for Farscape are dual-sided DVDs, and only contain 7-8 episodes per package on 2 DVDs, and each season has 3 of these dual-sided DVD packages. They are a re-release of the single-sided Farscape DVDs that contained twice as many DVDs per season. Also, the seasons are cheaper if you buy the Starburst editions (around $48 per season vs. $75+ per season in the older packaging).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I saw "The Incredibles" today for $15.95 at, of all places, the local Price Chopper supermarket.

Yahya

Auditioning
You need to have and use an advantage card at pricechopper in order to get the $15.95 price.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...you guys aren't going to believe this...but I ended up picking up The Incredibles at Target last night. Purely a matter of convenience. But, I end up with FREE Market Pantry sparkling water! [sarcasm]Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :emoji_thumbsup:[/sarcasm]

Actually, my 14-year old son was quite intrigued about trying some flavored water. So, who knows, maybe their odd marketing will help them sell more water. I HATE when that happens! :D

Also picked up Laura at that incredible $9.99 price AND Easter Parade for $15.99. Wasn't planning on EP, but figured I probably would never see that price again.

I would have picked up Band Wagon at that price, too..but left it on the shelf at $19.99. I went through the exact same thought process with Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story. I picked up BUB at Target's $15.99 new release price but left TPS on the shelf for $19.99.

Don't get me wrong....I understand $20 is a fine price for such great movies in such wonderful presentations...and I might just pick them up someday. My message is that WB and Target is proving the adage that if you price something competitively (read: cheaply) that you'll even get cheap bastards like me to pounce and sell more volume.

Busy week for me. Wife's birthday was this week...and although she's not a big fan of DVDs, we have both been intrigued by the idea of the film Being John Malkovich. So, after a looooooooong search, I found that at Borders for $12.99. Blind buy for us...don't really know what to expect.

My wife has actually been making her way--alphabetically--through the Maltin film encyclopedia trying to find films that she might enjoy watching with me. Very cool! Malkovich is one that intrigued her. We'll see.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

That's all old stock, all those bulky sets.

The new Starburst editions are meant to cut through all that confusion by simply re-releasing the whole series one volume at a time. And they've added more bonus materials and made it all much more affordable too.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
The Market Pantry sparkling water is more like flavored diet Sprite, since it does contain artificial sweeteners and flavorings, kind of defeats the whole purpose of the healthy aspects of bottled water if you ask me.

Being John Malkovich is a fantastic movie, full of creative writing sustained for the entire length of the movie, one of my all time favorite movies.

Sale-wise, I need to make a trip out to Fry's, they have Star Trek First Contact for $9.99. I may end up just price matching with Circuit City as it's closer and I'll net 30 cents for the 10% difference.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Mike,

That's the beauty of the WB box sets. For the price of the two movies individually, you can buy the box set containing 5 or 6 movies.

Looking at all of the WB discs in my collection I realize I've paid an average of $6 to $9 for most of them (including the 2 disc SE) because of pre-ordering the boxes.

Hopefully given the news of the $17.99 Costco Fox Noir set, our good friends at Fox are moving in that same direction.

STeve

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Even More Meaningless Trivia: I live about 1.5 miles from the Queensbury NY Target, so it is now the nearest Target to me, as well. ;)

I feel special - I have something in common with Malcolm R. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Have we bonded now? :D

Though since I'm considerably more than 1.5 miles away, we probably won't be hanging out together at Target any time soon. ;) But at least you get to enjoy the wholesome goodness that is Market Pantry Sparkling Water.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
MapQuest tells me I'm about 60 miles from Queensbury.

But if I'm gonna make the drive up the Northway its all about Martha's Ice Cream...not Market Pantry Sparkling Water. :D

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
MapQuest tells me I'm about 2845.80 miles from Queensbury. I'm not driving there for the water or the ice cream.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Don't be silly. You would fly there.

:D

Damn Target and their Market Pantry taunting! My kingdom for a store within an hour's drive! :wink:

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mike, how far "up the Northway" is Martha's Ice Cream? Never heard of it. Is it in my neck of the woods?

Dennis, good to see another North Country-ite in the forum. Thought I was the only one. :)

Yahya

Auditioning
Martha's icecream?
Is that code for something other than icecream or just some good ice cream? I could go for some good ice cream.;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Scott: It is directly across Route 9 from The Great Escape (between Exits 19 & 20 of the Northway. You can't miss it. The Great Escape ride "The Boomerang" is just on the other side of the road. Matha's Motel is attached.

Yahya: if you've never been into the North Country, the Adirondacks are beautiful, the Great Escape is a lot of fun....and Martha's Dandee Cream is the place to go for ice cream. Its all just an hour north of Albany....near Lake George.

BTW, welcome to the forum Yahya. There's a hardy Capitol District contingent onboard. ScottJ (for example) is a SUNY/Albany graduate who's working now in Glens Falls....not far at all from Martha's! ;)

In the meantime, there is a new ice cream place in Stuyvesant Plaza (not far from SUNY/Albany) called Cold Stone. VERY good premium ice cream & mixin's. But, I digress. :D

Yahya

Auditioning
Whelp I guess I've had martha's icecream then. If it's the spot across the street from the great escape's entrance next to the parking lot.:emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up on that stuyvesant plaza spot and the welcome.:b

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone still cares about finding DVDs, I had trouble finding Star Trek: First Contact SE today. Costco didn't have it, Best Buy didn't have it, Circuit City (both of them in my area) didn't have it. Finally found a copy at Borders for $14.99--Hastings and Barnes & Noble both had it in stock, too, but at $19.99.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled off-topic end-of-the-week discussion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks