Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi

I really use / like the Amazon listing.

A good addition would be lasersedge.com...they have been a HTF sponsor for 3 years now.

Thanks!!

Gregg

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Laser's Edge is actually the other online site I use in addition to Amazon. They also have free shipping (without the $25 limit that Amazon has), so it's often a good deal.

However, as was mentioned for some other online site, Laser's Edge has a tendency to raise their prices on new releases come Tuesday, so it could be difficult to put an accurate price in the grid. As I said, I don't think additional online prices are necessary, but I agree that if you do add one, this might be a good choice because of their sponsorship of HTF.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Glenn and Mike (and anyone else interested):

Yup, Mulan 2 is $19.99, so:

$15.99 + $19.99 - $5.00 = $30.98 /2 = $15.49 each!
(Mike F., thanks for letting me borrow your "calculator")

Looks like a good deal if you haven't picked up M2 yet.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Bambi and SCTV vol.3 for me. Won't be able to watch them until after Lent is over, but gotta get 'em during release week to take advantage of the best prices.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Hi Mike,

Thanks for including DDD this week (even if only as an experiment).

I did find a couple of DDD titles listed (perhaps knowing their poor browser's shortcomings I knew only to put in the bare minimum of the title):

Bringing Up Baby SE $20.48
Philadelphia Story SE $20.48
Rutles 2 $18.73

It looks like this week my favorite titles are best found at a B&M for the titles that interest me:

Including the ones above I would be looking for:

Hoosiers CE
Bambi

A very busy week. I will probably hold off on some that are artificially elevated to see if Costco doesn't come in with a better price in the coming weeks. Otherwise Rutles 2 seems like the only price leader for DDD (until Tuesday when all bets are off). I may want to play a wait and see on a couple of these titles but Bringing Up Baby and Bambi are a definite pickup.

Thanks for your flexibility and hard work as always Mike. One thing to consider. If DDD finds out that their prices are being compared in this forum they might just get a bit more aggressive with their pricing prior to Street Tuesday ;) .

Joel

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I forgot in my last post to mention that My Own Private Idaho is also available at DDD for $28.76. Curiously higher priced than Amazon who they regularly beat on Criterion titles :confused: . Perhaps they're playing the cat and mouse game to undercut their prices on Tuesday. At any rate it is valid to post this price.

BTW, I only checked the titles I'm interested in -- proving this is not a trivial task to go through the entire list. I would easily understand keeping strictly to B&M quotes seeing the amount of work that goes into this. Non-the-less I am grateful for the attempt to try something new. Thanks again.

Joel

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I noticed that Amazon is advertising a 3 disk version of Brotherhood of the Wolf as coming out this Tuesday. It appears to be the same set that was released in Canada. Does anyone know anything of this release?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think the round up as is in this curent version is excellent.
as has benn mentioned, unlikely to see walmart because no two walmarts have the same prices.

but most people come in and post the prices of their local walmart.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

The problem with a Wal-Mart column is that their prices vary from store to store, sometimes even in the same town.

My Wal-Mart routinely has new releases for $19.88 every Tuesday (no area competition), while many others get these great $13, $14, $15 prices at their Wal-Mart's in competitive areas.

See the Great Wal-Mart Price Comparison experiment thread we did a few weeks back for the wide, wide variety of Wal-Mart prices on a single title.

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
Thanks for the DeepDiscountDvd inclusion.
I use it alot, so that is useful info to me.

I vote to keep DDD on the list!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Just a warning. Fry's ads are known for doing market specific advertising so be sure to check in your local store.

I saw the DFW market got this in their paper however I'm not sure about any others.

Thanks,
Chris S.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Eric, thanks for the confirmation on the Mulan 2 price at Target. I'm still on the fence on this even with the coupon deal. After re-reading the review at ultimatedisney.com I may go back to my original decision to skip buying this one and just rent it to watch with my 11-year old. Haven't gotten around to doing that yet. It just doesn't seem to be one that we'll want to watch repeatedly.

Over in a thread at DVDTalk it was mentioned that a $3 off coupon for Bambi is included in the upcoming DVD for The Incredibles. Somebody already has it and scanned it. I don't know if it would work yet, or whether a scanned copy is okay to use, but it may be worth a try. I already have The Incredibles on pre-order, so I'll be getting a coupon anyway, but by then the Bambi first-week pricing will be gone. Here is a link to the coupon (it's big, would have to be saved, resized and cropped):

http://img139.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...coupon23vm.jpg

Patrick.C

Second Unit
Any chance of getting K-Mart added to the roundup? They typically don't advertise as many DVDs as Target and Wal-Mart, but they had the lowest B&M price going on two discs that I recently picked up on release day (Top Gun SE and Miami Vice Season 1).

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Expensive week for me:

Bringing Up Baby SE
The Philadelphia Story SE
My Own Private Idaho CC
Hoosiers SE
Brady Bunch S1 (guilty pleasure!)

It's been a loooong time since there were 5 separate titles I just had to have all coming out on the same release day.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

I looked it up, and it is the exact same release as the Canadian 3 disk version. Furthermore, their price of ~$32 is quite a bit higher than you can get it for from many Canadian e-tailers. Just search dvdpricesearch.com for the best price.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Mmmmm White Palace. Nekkid Susan Sarandon. Thumbs etc. up. I can finally dispose of my P&S DVD---the only film I've made an exception for.

Bambi is a Top Ten DVD. Buy it. Everyone.

SCTV vol. 3 is missing the Stairway to Heaven bits from the Schnege Brothers sketch due to Led Zeppelin being unwilling to license the song, as usual. There's also some other missing material so completists be aware.

Why no good deals on the Classic Comedies at any B&M store, I wonder? Well, DDD it is for that one.

I think I'll wait on Exorcist the Beginning to see whether there's a double DVD of both Harlin and Schrader's versions sometime in the future.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
Just Bambi for me this week.
As to your question Mike I think that since you can't include the Wal-Mart B&M prices, maybe you should use Wal-Mart.com. I have always found their prices to be the cheapest, for example, Bambi is $15.87 online. Just an idea.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Costco has the Brady Bunch for $24.49. Surprisingly (and disappointingly), they had neither the Classic Comedies set, nor any of the individual films from that set. :frowning:

Bambi is $14.87 at my local Wal-Mart. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks