What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2/3 (1 Viewer)

Greg S

Supporting Actor

WOW!! That's super news Scott. I have no idea what the difference is either -- now I am curious!

BTW gives a quick review on the quality whenever you can as its going to be a few weeks before I get mine since DDD is backordered right now.

Thanks

Greg

willyh

Agent
Fry's Electronics is advertising Rain Man, SE for $9.99 and Under the Tuscany Sun for $15.99. I've called Circuit City, Best Buy and checked my local Costco, can't find Ed Wood anywhere in North Phoenix. Darn.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just for the record, the Los Angeles Best buy I went to last night had My Fair Lady SE for $16.99 not $15.99 - it may be one of those regional things.

Also, they were sold out of Lost in Translation.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Thanks for the Walmart tip, Greg. Mine had Lost in Translation for $14.74.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
NP Andrea. I figured WM would be cheaper but honestly only expected it to be like 17.88 or something since no one was selling this one that cheap. I was pleasantly surprised to see this!

Greg

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Mike and others,

I hope this is not too out place here but since this forum (and thread(s)) is where most of my HTF time is spent I felt it appropriate.

I would like all of those interested in Ed Wood to please look here:

HTF DONATION DRIVE

I have gotten this approved by Gregg Loewen and it is to generate funds to keep HTF going. This FINAL copy was to be my PERSONAL copy but I decided to put it to better use than being watched once and then placed on a shelf.

Please understand I have donated this copy and that all money goes to HTF and not me ... I am covering the cost of the DVD and the shipping on my own.

Please bid on this auction and help HTF out otherwise there will be no more Weekly Roundup or David Lambert Happy Naked Dances ;) !!

Thanks for reading.

Greg

Greg S

Supporting Actor

I know. I have to admit that at first I was going to make it until the end of the month but I said, NO WAY thats too long. Then I thought I should really just make it a week but I felt that wouldn't give people enough time to bid on it.

Three weeks may be too long. If the members decide that it should be shorted I can adjust the time.

I really wish I could have got some more copies as I have probably 30 people's emails in my Inbox wanting it. The 15 copies I did get went fast last night!!

I did go back to Costco this AM (yes another 1 1/2 hour trip during TAX SEASON no less (I am an accountant in case you are wondering)) and the had already pulled them off the shelf. There were at least 100 there when I left around closing time last night (2 vertical long box style cases of them) and they weren't there today. The managed stated that they pulled because of a recall and that I shouldn't have bought the ones I got last night (of course I did not tell him I bought 15, LOL!).

Anyway lmk what you guys think about the deadline and I can go from there.

NOW BACK TO BARGAIN HUNTING PEOPLE!!!!

Greg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
BJs Wholesale Club (at least my local store in Albany, NY) had these prices today (February 4, 2004):

Fighting Temptations $17.79
Under the Tuscan Sun $17.49
Lost In Translation $18.49
Secondhand Lions $17.99
Thorn Birds $21.99
Alice in Wonderland $17.49
Planet of the Apes (35th Anniv.) $17.99
American Splendor $18.99
Radio $18.99
Open Range $18.99
My Boss's Daughter $17.99
Rain Man SE $12.99
Mutiny on the Bounty $13.99
Alien, et al $17.99
Alien Quadrilogy $64.99
The Swimming Pool $17.99

Although they had a few copies of Mutiny on the Bounty, I did not see any more of the Warner Screen Legends Titles available. No Ed Wood either.

If you guys haven't seen the thread in Software about the free DVD that Barnes & Noble is handing out starting today with the purchase of select Warner's titles (in conjunction with Turner Classic Movies), check it out. Click here! I picked up my copy by buying a copy of Unforgiven. They had other titles besides the new Warner Screen Legend titles. They also had Unforgiven, Casablanca, Cabaret and Gigi to name a few.

GarySchrock

Second Unit

This is another michigan state law issue. State law requires pricing on individual items. And the walmart company knows this very well, because their Sam's clubs have been fined repeatedly for violating this.

Ultimately, if there hadn't been people behind me in line, I would have made a fuss about it, but I didn't feel it was worth inconviencing the people behind me. And I'd already spent some time at their customer service counter dealing with a return for scratched discs, and didn't want to deal with them again. On top of that, I already knew I had to visit another store anyways because of the PoTA situation, so I decided it wasn't worth my time.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
On Gettysburg for those that don't know, it was originally pulled by warner because of a licensing issue. I guess that's been resolved, which is good! I never got the DVD but I have the LD. I will be getting the DVD just for the anamorphic transfer. I wish it was the extended length and remixed audio in 5.1.... =(

There was talk about a Special Edition of Gettysburg and Gods and Generals, maybe that might be worth waiting for?

Last night I was at Walmart. Walmart had no Lost in Translations, none. The clerk said they had none, and she guessed they won't be carrying it.

I had to go to BB for Lost in Translation, while there I picked up the Capturing the Freidmans (DeborahK and I must be the only ones interested in this) now $7 cheaper than last week.

I had to go to the customer service to have the pricematch to Fry's $15.99 for Lost in Translation. While there I noticed a strange tag on the register that stated that:
This store has to honor the lowest advertised price and that if they don't you are suppose to contact the Santa Clara Department of weights and measures to file a complain. I wonder if there were complaints regarding the PM policy.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
As a heads up - My local Wal-Mart has Lost in Translation for only $15.50, and it was prominently labeled as such (not a mistake at checkout I mean). I had to literally dig to find it under the mounds of Fullscreen versions they had, but it was easily the best price.

Per David's note, this is obviously a regional deal.

PotA was the typical $19.99 price and they had nothing but fullscreen versions of that. Needless to say, I trekked over to Target and got the Widescreen for the same price.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well I picked up Planet of the Apes (in widescreen :emoji_thumbsup: ) and the discounted Speed Racer limited edition dvd (for ten at Target). Next week is Angel third season for me. :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Fry's Los Angeles Times Ad has Rain Man for $8.99. A word of caution though, it's below Best Buy's cost and so they call a manager out if you try to pricematch it.

The mgr ended up giving it to me, but was tempted to call the local Fry's to see if it was in-stock (a technicality in their pricematch guarantee). It's worth a try though, IMO.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm just curious. Does anyone besides Malcolm R and myself have any interest in DVD prices for BJs Wholesale Club? It seems to me there is always interest in three wholesale operations here in the RoundUp:

[c]Costco
Sam's Club
BJs Wholesale Club[/c]

But, I don't recall anyone outside of Malcolm and I who have BJs memberships. A quick view at the BJs website tells me they are strictly an eastern seaboard operation with locations in CT, FL, DE, GA, ME, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, RI, SC, and VA.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I am a BJs regular myself and I appreciate the info if its not too much trouble. You actually saved me a long trip to Costco a few weeks ago when you posted that BJs had ST:VI for $12.99. It was a $1 more than Costco but BJs is 1 mile from my house and Costco is like 30 miles.

So yeah please keep it up.

Thanks

Greg

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

Wow -- BB has "Capturing the Friedmans" for $7 less than they were charging last week?? That is amazing. Was this an advertized price or did you just happen to notice it when you were in the store?I bought my copy last week using two Zoner certs, so I got it for around $15. But if I had waited a week, I might have gotten it for around $8!

I don't stress over these things too much as I buy very selectively (and often obscurely) and so am not laying out the hundreds of bucks weekly a lot of you guys are. A good thing to, because I don't have that much dicretionary income, once I have paid into the retirement fund, the health insurance fund, the dental fund, etc. , etc.

Jeff and I do indeed seem to be the only ones here who got excited about this title. I noticed that it has been nominated for an Oscar. If it wins, maybe others will be more interested.

Deborah

John W L

Agent

Wal-Mart was my final stop Tuesday on a futile 5-store trek looking for Ed Wood. Was surprised to find the My Fair Lady display sticker at $14.84 -- a few bucks cheaper than at Sam's! I'd already bought it at BB for $16.99 but, to assauge the guilt of picking up Dude Where's My Car dirt cheap at WM, decided to get a second MFL and return the first to BB. As noted above, it rang up at $19.94, requiring a long wait at Customer Service and a trip back with the rep, who turned over the "$14.84" sticker to obscure the price. Customer Service refunded the difference, nothing more. Store is in Maryland; I don't know if any state laws apply.

Got Flesh + Blood at BB for $9.99. Picture quality is acceptable, though color saturation and fidelity aren't very good. At least it's dual-layer. I haven't seen the LD in many years, so I can't offer a comparison.

Also picked up Alias Season 2 at Sam's at a great price, marked down to $37.97.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks