What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2-28-2006 (1 Viewer)

Jay*W

Second Unit
Thanks as always, Mike! Big week for me:

So far, I've picked up Controversial Classics v.2 at Costco ($36.39), and Lady & The Tramp at Circuit City. I also grabbed the new Bruce Springsteen Live at the Hammersmith Odeon 1975 CD at Circuit City for $10.99, and I picked up The Unbearable Lightness of Being at Costco for $14.99 (no luck on finding Ryan's Daughter for that price, though).

Later today I'll be grabbing NewsRadio at Best Buy. Also considering Walk The Line CE and Pride and Prejudice.

Jay

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Oooh! Perhaps a jaunt to Costco is in order this weekend. :)

Went to BJ's last weekend and was rather disappointed in their selection. They seem to have shrunk the DVD section in my club. :frowning:

Lance_G

Grip
Local Costco prices:

Controversial Classics Vol.2 was $37.89.

Lady and the Tramp was $18.89 by itself or for the SAME price you can get it packaged with Disney's Ugly Dachshund. Great deal IMO.

Walk the Line CE $24.99

Patrick.C

Second Unit

The price is listed in their ad. They didn't post it right next to the photo to get around Buena Vista's advertising restrictions. Best Buy actually did the same thing. This seems to be common practice nowadays. I took the CC ad with me to BB and was able to price match without a problem. I was wondering if they were going to give me a hard time about picking up the free plush with the price match but they didn't seem to care.

BrentJ

Second Unit
Can't believe that there are no deals on the Ice Harvest:frowning:. Maybe I'll get lucky and win the contest (please sign me up). ;)

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to price match today the Walk the Line 2 Disc with the ad from Electronics Expo (which had the poster cover of the 2 disc listed for 12.99) and both CC and BB refused to price match me...sounds to me like the places are cutting hours and losing money to me!!

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Hi all,

I just picked up Controversial Classics Vol. 2 at Best Buy and it was priced at $48.99, not $69.99. Not quite as good as Costco but great for us Reward Zone whores. I, like a few others, had some Reward Zone coupons burning a hole in my pocket. $30 worth, in fact. Plus, the 15,000 bonus points voucher. Perfect week to use 'em. (I also picked up The Cutting Edge, Lady and the Tramp, and Walk the Line single disc.)

Keep up the great work.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I did not find the Hillbillies at my local Wal-Mart tonight. :frowning: My Wal-Mart had only so-so pricing on many of this week's titles. $16.99 on Lady and the Tramp, and the 1-disc Walk the Line. $26.99 for the 2-disc Walk the Line. I think they had $16.99 on most of the new releases. Not bad, but not great.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Anyone Else think the 2 Disk Walk the Line is no better than we would've gotten a few years back as a special edition for what the Single disk is now costing. Seems Like they are basically charging $10 for special Features. I just say no to this practice.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I say, Happy Birthday, Dave Scarpa. :D

I'm leaning towards the 2-disc...if I decide to make the blind buy. I had the 2-disc in my hand tonight. I thought the features looked pretty interesting.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
I don't remember if this was posted or not, but apparently for those with Meijer stores (going on memory here, but pretty sure it was Meijer), they supposedly have Lady plushes when you buy L&T. Now, of course, the problem is convincing the wife that she really doesn't need two copies of the movie just so she can have both a lady and a tramp plush.

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator

Jodee, I picked up my copy tonight, and I sprang for the SE because I adored the rilm when I saw it theatrically. It definitely leaves you wanting more. I was a Johnny Cash fan already, but WTL is so vivid that I could have easily watched another two hours.

Here are the features for the SE:

Commentary by writer/director James Mangold.
10 deleted scenes (also viewable with Mangold commentary)
Extended music sequences featuring Phoenix and Witherspoon in character for three songs.
A feature called "Celebrating the Man in Black," featuring interviews with more than a half-dozen notables, including Johnny's daughter Rosanne and his contemporaries Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson.
"Folsom, Cash & the Comeback," a featurette on the pivotal Folsom Prison concert that is hugely important in both the film and in Cash's career.
A feature called "Ring of Fire: The Passion of Johnny & June," about the love story between Cash and Carter.
Five postcards of Phoenix and Witherspoon in character.

I haven't watched the features yet, but I can't wait. Johnny and June were involved with the film before their deaths, and their son John Carter Cash was a producer, so the Cash family is definitely involved. But despite the family seal of approval, it's very much a "warts and all" depiction.

Best Buy has the SE for $25, which is a darn good deal, and you can get $5 off any Cash CD with the purchase. The DVD should get you hungry for Cash's music, so it makes a really good deal. I picked up the remastered version of the seminal "At Folsom Prison," which I didn't have on CD, for less than $7.

Of course, the $5 off deal is good on the single-disc edition, too, but I can't imagine anyone coming out of WTL without wanting more, so I think the SE is going to be well worth the extra money.

I'll try to watch the extras in the next day or two to let you know if I still feel that way after I've seen them while you've still got a chance to catch the sale prices.

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator
Doggone it, I just remembered I had $20 in RZ coupons on my desk at work that I meant to take with me tonight! Oh well, guess I'll save 'em -- after all, there are some bigger weeks coming up, like when Chicken Little, Justice League and Batman Beyond all come out the same week...

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and in case anyone's wondering: Best Buy will match CC on Lady and the Tramp and still give you the free plush Tramp. :)

I didn't try the $5 off for pre-ordering Narnia deal, as I don't want to be tied into getting it at BB; I know the minute I pre-order, Amazon will offer it $5 cheaper.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
I didn't see it listed, but if you are interested in the Controversial Classics V2 set and have a Tower Records (remember them??) near you, they have the set for $39.99. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone reading this thread have a feel for how long Amazon's release week discounts typically last?

I'm both cheap and lazy, and have a couple of late March birthdays to celebrate. Amazon will both wrap and ship the item, and I'd prefer to get in on the 30% discount for the new Controversial Classics set.

If I hold off as long as possible, plus get the free shipping, the sets might arrive closer to the actual birthdates.

(In fact, Amazon has not shipped the set I preordered 12/22, but it is now "shipping soon.")

So does anyone know if I should go ahead and order, or can I wait until Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks