What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2-27-2007 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Weekly RoundUp

The Features

– Will Ferrell (Stranger Than Fiction – 2006)

– Bob Dylan, Dylan with DA Penebaker (Don’t Look Back – 1965)

– Virginia Davis (Disney’s “Alice” Comedies – 1923-1927)

– Patrick McGoohan (Secret Agent – 1964-1966)

– Abbie Cornish and Russell Crowe (A Good Year - 2006)

The Prices

SD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoAlice in Cartoonland: 35mm Coll.$17.99$14.99$15.99 - - Alexander Revisited: Final Cut$18.69$19.99$19.99 - - Best of Flip Wilson Show$34.49$32.99$39.99 - - Bob Dylan: Don’t Look Back DE$34.99 - $39.99 - - Bob Dylan: Don’t Look Back (1-disc)$13.99$14.99$15.99 - - Conversations with God$19.99$19.99$24.99 - - Doris Day Show: Season 4$27.99$29.99$34.99 - - Dreamland$17.99$19.99$19.99 - - Filmation’s Ghostbusters: S1$35.99$24.99$34.99 - - Girlfriends: Season 1$25.89$24.99$27.99$24.99 - **A Good Year$17.99$19.9919.99$16.99$19.49The Heart of the Game$19.99$19.99$24.99 - - Journey to the End of the Night$17.99$17.99$22.99 - - Land Before Time XII: Great…Flyers$13.99$14.99$15.99$14.99 - Magnum P.I.: Season 6$32.49$34.99$39.99 - $33.99NFL Super Bowl XLI Champions$18.69$22.99$19.99 - $17.99Nine Inch Nails: Beside You in Time$17.99$11.99$22.99 - - Outerworld$13.49$14.99$12.99 - - Planet Brooklyn$22.49$12.99$19.99 - - Reno 911!: Most Wanted$12.99$12.99$12.99 - - The Return$19.99$19.99$19.99 - - Rockford Files: Season 3$27.99$34.99$34.99$29.99 - Russell Simmons Def Poetry: S4$12.73$14.99$15.99 - - Secret Agent: Complete Coll.$99.99$114.99$129.99 - - The State Within$26.99$24.99$24.99 - - Stranger Than Fiction$17.99$16.9915.99$16.99$18.89Studio Classics Coll. (40-disc)$239.99 - - - - Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny$18.99$16.99$17.99$16.99 - Tideland CE$15.99$24.99$22.99 - -

HD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoBullitt$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - The Getaway$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - Nine Inch Nails: Beside You in Time$17.45$20.99$24.96 - -

BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoBullitt$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - The Getaway$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - Nine Inch Nails: Beside You in Time$17.45$16.99$24.96 - - Stranger Than Fiction$27.25$29.99$38.96 - -

Individual titles included in box sets listed above:

Studio Classics Collection:

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazon.com product description

This 40-Disc Collection includes some of the best in classic film, including 15 films nominated by the Academy of Arts and Sciences for Best Picture of the Year. This is a must-have in any classic film lover's library.

• All About Eve
• Gentlemen's Agreement
• How Green was my Valley
• An Affair to Remember
• The Day the Earth Stood Still
• The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
• Love is a Many Splendored Thing
• The Song of Bernadette
• Anastasia
• The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
• Titanic
• The Mark of Zorro
• The Ox Bow Incident
• My Darling Clementine
• The Diary of Ann Frank
• Peyton Place
• The Grapes of Wrath
• Desk Set
• The Snake Pit
• The Prime of Miss Jean Brody
• Zorba the Greek
• Alexander's Ragtime Band
• The Three Faces of Eve
• Three Coins in a Fountain
• How to Steal a Million
• Leave Her to Heaven
• A Letter to Three Wives
• Return to Peyton Place
• Anna and the King of Siam
• The Razor's Edge
• The Best of Everything
• Hush…Hush, Sweet Charlotte
• In Old Chicago
• The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit
• Orchestra Wives
• The Rains Came
• Two for the Road
• The Black Swan
• The River's Edge
• The Keys to the Kingdom

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

"LP" in the RoundUp table means a store’s Sunday flyer says "Low Price". That means I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, as always, Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

The Specials

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! A Good Year is available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one!

--Best Buy has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC with its copies of tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny. Bonus disc contains more than 80 minutes of extras including home movies, deleted scenes and internet shorts. Minimum 25 per store. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy is offering a 2/$20 deal this week. Buy Stranger Than Fiction and ANY ONE of the following DVDs and get them both for $20: Bewitched, Something’s Gotta Give, Tootsie ($9.99 apiece). Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Best Buy is also offering—with the purchase of ANY DVD this week—an EXCLUSIVE DVD TRAILER FOR THE MOVIE 300…PLUS FREE MOVIE CASH TO SEE 300 IN THEATERS. In store only. Minimum 90 per store. No rainchecks. Ticket value = $10.50.

--Best Buy is also offering EXTRA MOVIE CASH FOR THE MOVIE 300 with the purchase of Alexander Revisited: The Final Cut. On pack. Ticket value = $10.50.

--$3 off ANY Disney DVD @ Best Buy with the purchase this week of Little Einsteins: Legend of the Golden Pyramid ($14.99). Must be purchased on same receipt.

--At Best Buy, buy Magnum P.I.: Season 6 and save $10 instantly on the price of ANY SEASON of Magnum P.I. Must be purchased on same receipt

--Best Buy is also advertising a bunch of Blu-ray and HD-DVD deals.

An LG Combo Blu-ray/HD-DVD Player (Model BH100) for $1199.99

Also, Samsung Blu-Ray Player (Model BD-P1000) for $799.99 (before $100 instant savings).

And, Toshiba HD-DVD Player (Model HD-A2) for $499.99 Get four HD-DVD movies FREE, instantly, when you buy the HD-A2. Must be purchased on same receipt

AND…Save $20 on ANY 3….or $10 on ANY 2 Blu-ray discs OR HD-DVD discs. Must be purchased on same receipt.

The following high def discs are shown:

Blu-ray: Saw III, Babel, Crank, The Prestige, Flyboys, M: I: III, Superman returns, Ice Age: The Meltdown ($29.99 apiece)

HD-DVD: Serenity, Babel, You Me & Dupree, Reds, Poseidon, Superman Returns ($29.99 apiece)…and Batman Begins, Van Helsing ($24.99 apiece).

--And Best Buy is having a HUGE sale on 2 and 3-disc Special Editions this week! All of the following titles are just $9.99: Million Dollar Baby (3-disc), Shawshank redemption SE, Mystic River (3-disc), Poseidon SE, Batman SE, Bullitt SE, Phantom of the Opera SE, Heat SE, The Lost Boys SE, Constantine SE, Tru Romance SE, Enter the Dragon SE, V for Vendetta SE.

--Best Buy Odds & Ends: Best Buy has an assortment of titles listed on sale at $9.99 this week. Titles shown include: Beerfest, Beer League, Lady in the Water, The Wicker Man (2006), How to Eat Fried Worms. Look for more titles in-store and on-line.

--Circuit City is offering a FREE $5 Circuit City Giftcard with the purchase of Girlfriends: Season 1 on DVD.

--Circuit City also has a FREE 3-MONTH SUBSCRIPTION TO WWE MAGAZINE with the purchase of WWE: New & Improved DX on DVD.

--Circuit City also has a FREE SNEAK PEEK DVD with the purchase of a number of Fox TV DVD sets. Sneak Peek DVD includes two episodes of the Fox series The Winner (from the creator of The Family Guy. The Winner premieres 3-4-2007.

--Circuit City Odds & Ends: Circuit City also has a LONG list of DVDs in a 2/$10 promotion.

--Target Odds & Ends: And, finally, Target has it’s usual assortment of $7.50 and $10 titles.

The Markdowns

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: February 27, 2007 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

None to report.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

Talladega Nights: Ballad Of Ricky Bobby $15.99
Little Einsteins: The Legend Of The Golden Pyramid $12.99
Bratz: Fashion Pixies $12.99
Flushed Away $19.99
The Departed $19.99
WWE Royal Rumble $17.99

2 DVDs For $10:
In Store Only. Purchases must be made on same receipt
Incredible Mr. Limpet
Purple Rain (1st Pressing)
Two Weeks Notice
I Am Sam
After The Sunset
Austin Power: International Man Of Mystery
Cellular
Queen Of The Damned
Ace Ventura (1st Pressing)
Matchstick Men
9 ½ Weeks
Little Nicky: Platinum Series
Message In A Bottle
The Pelican Brief
About Schmidt
Empire Of The Sun (1st Pressing)
The Wedding Singer (1st Pressing)
Clash Of The Titans
The Lost Boys (1st Pressing)
A Perfect Murder
Mystic River
Grumpy Old Men
Twister
Bloodsport
Taking Lives
Absolute Power
The Whole Nine Yards
Murder At 1600
Scooby-Doo
Angel Eyes
National Lampoon’s European Vacation
Cradle 2 The Grave
Dreamcatcher
Gotti
Miss Congeniality
Analyze This
You’ve Got Mail (1st Pressing)
The Outsiders: The Complete Novel
North Country

Free Sneak Peek DVD with purchase of ANY Of These FOX TV DVD Sets
Sneak Peek DVD features 2 episodes of FOX Series “ The Winner".
My Name Is Earl: Season 1 $24.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 1 $24.99
24: Season 5 $34.99
The Simpsons: Season 9 (Lisa Head Shown) $34.99 (corrected)
Arrested Development: Season 1 / 2 / 3 $19.99 each
Family Guy: Volume IV (and other sets) $24.99 each

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

Beerfest: Unrated $9.99
Beer League $9.99
Lady In The Water $9.99
The Wicker Man (2006) $9.99
How To Eat Fried Worms $9.99

Stranger Than Fiction $16.99
Bewitched $9.99
Something’s Gotta Give $9.99
Tootsie $9.99
(Buy Stranger Than Fiction and any one of the 3 marked DVDs and get both titles for $20. Must be purchased on the same receipt)

Best Buy Exclusive: Free Cell Phone Mirror Sticker with purchase of Bratz: Fahsion Pixies DVD. Minimum 6 per store. No rainchecks.

Little Einsteins: The Legend Of The Golden Pyramid $14.99
Save $3 Instantly on any Disney DVD when you buy this Little Einstein DVD Title. DVDs must be purchased on the same receipt to receive discount.

Blu-Ray DVDs:
SAW III $29.99
Babel $29.99
Crank $29.99
The Prestige $29.99
Flyboys $29.99
M:I: III $29.99
Superman Returns $29.99
Ice Age: The Meltdown $29.99
Stranger Than Fiction $29.99
Nine Inch Nails: Beside You In Time $16.99

Samsung High Definition Blu-Ray Player Model BD-P1000 $799.99 Before $100 Savings.

LG Blu-Ray Disc / HD-DVD Combo Player Model BH100 $1199.99
(Save $20 when you purchase any 3 Blu-Ray DVD titles. Save $10 when you purchase any 2 Blu-Ray DVD titles. Must be purchased on the same receipt)

HD-DVDs:
Batman Begins $24.99
Van Helsing $24.99
Serenity $29.99
Babel $29.99
You, Me & Dupree $29.99
REDS: 25th Anniversary Edition $29.99
Poseidon $29.99
Superman Returns $29.99
Nine Inch Nails: Beside You In Time $16.99 Online Only

Toshiba HD-DVD DVD Player HD-A2 $499.99
(Get 4 Free HD-DVD Movies instantly when you purchase the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD Player. Must be purchased on the same receipt)

Save $20 when you purchase any 3 HD-DVD titles. Save $10 when you purchase any 2 HD-DVD titles. Must be purchased on the same receipt.

$9.99 DVDs: More titles available in store
Million Dollar Baby: 3-Disc Edition
The Shawshank Redemption: 2-Disc Special Edition
Mystic River: 3-Disc Deluxe Edition
Poseidon: 2-Disc Special Edition
Batman: 2-Disc Special Edition
Bullitt: 2-Disc Special Edition
The Phantom Of The Opera: 2-Disc Special Edition
HEAT: 2-Disc Special Edition
The Lost Boys: 2-Disc Special Edition
Constantine: 2-Disc Special Edition
True Romance: 2-Disc Special Edition
V For Vendetta: 2-Disc Special Edition

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

Little Einsteins: The Legend Of The Golden Pyramid $14.99

$7.50 each:
Robots
Ultimate Avengers: The Movie
Titanic
The Princess Bride: Special Edition
Caddyshack
Dukes Of Hazzard: Unrated

$10 each:
Take The Lead
Inside Man
Benchwarmers
RV
Peter Jackson’s King Kong
The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thanks as always Mike & Patrick.

I was curious as to what the packaging is like for the Studio Classics Collection, so I popped over to Amazon.com to check it out. The only picture available is this one (but I'm not sure that it's representative of the Collection packaging):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...F8&n=130&s=dvd
(For some reason, I can't get the above to display as an image - only as a link :confused: ).

Anyway, while I was checking it out at Amazon.com I came across this deal:
Download Bonus! Get a FREE TV show download when you buy any DVD directly from Amazon.com. Must redeem within 24 hours of DVD purchase.
I didn't see this listed in The Specials of the Weekly RoundUp, so here's the details:
This month, if you purchase any DVD directly from Amazon.com you will receive a $1.99 instant rebate on a purchase or rental through Amazon Unbox, our video download store. You need to redeem this rebate within 24 hours of purchasing your DVD. Because most of our TV downloads are available for purchase for just $1.99, you'll be able to purchase a TV show FREE. If you prefer, purchase or rent a higher priced video download and receive a $1.99 discount. Just purchase any video download and we will automatically deduct $1.99 from the price. For more details on how to take advantage of this offer, see below. To begin shopping for your TV show, go to the Amazon Unbox video download store.
Here's the link to page at Amazon.com with the full details:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000035121

Maybe this deal has been discussed here before and I just missed it.

I'll probably pick-up Stranger Than Fiction this week, and that should be about it for me - unless my wife has me pick-up A Good Year for her (Russell Crowe to my wife is like Scarlett Johansson to Mike Frezon :laugh: ).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I waited a long time for Secret Agent to come out in a budget big box....

The original A&E release box set was more like $180, and it only had 13 discs comprising the 47 episodes that aired in the US.

DVD Planet and DeepDiscountDVD are offering the new set for $89.

I wonder if Costco is going to stock this box......

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up:

Alexander
Nine Inch Nails: Beside You In Time*
Tenacious D In The Pick Of Destiny

*I don't know if there's regional pricing but in Philadelphia the ad lists the NIN DVD as $11.99 and the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD as $16.99 (it also says that the HD-DVD is only available online though).

Thanks for the prices! :)

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
A quick correction on the Circuit City Simpsons season offer: Season 9 is the Lisa head and this is what's pictured in the ad. The Maggie head is Season 8 (and is probably not on sale).

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Mike, under the pic of Russell Crowe you have "A Good Life"....should be "A Good Year"...:)

You're awesome Man! :)

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff Meyers said:
I was curious as to what the packaging is like for the Studio Classics Collection, so I popped over to Amazon.com to check it out. The only picture available is this one (but I'm not sure that it's representative of the Collection packaging):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...F8&n=130&s=dvd
(For some reason, I can't get the above to display as an image - only as a link :confused: ).

I've picked up most of these. From the looks of it, Amazon is just bundling them together in order to reduce stock.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks, Mike and Patrick. Nothing this week (but I'll probably pick up Stranger Than Fiction down the road when it's cheaper).

adrian b

Stunt Coordinator
whats to say? If you've ever seen this band live you will understand why its probably the best release this week. Survived the show 5 times on the 05-06 tour (in both large and tiny venues).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Don't really know if this offer extends past tonight's Oscar night, but Best Buy was selling those $9.99 2-disc/3-disc special edition titles as Buy 1, Get 1 Free, so I picked up 12 titles for $60 plus tax. Some Best Buys are having Reward Zone events and are staying open an few extra hours (if you're in the MST and PST time zones). I don't know if the B1G1F offer will be in effect tomorrow, though.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I went to CC and got me a Copy of Incredible Mr. Limpit and Clash of the Titans, then I went over to Wally World (Two Auto Dealerships gave away $10 Gift Cards :D) and "Relieved them of (1) Cocoon/Cocoon II Twin Pack and (2) Rusty, the Great Escape/Far from Home Twin Pack.

Since the Beginning of the year I have received $75.00 worth of Wally World and Tarjhee Gift Cards from the Auto Dealers :D I actually look forward to the "Junk Mail" I receive from them! Keep the Goodies Coming!

Alfonso_M

Second Unit

Is this a local thing??

I picked up the "Heat" Special Edition on Sunday and didn't see or hear about the 'get one free' special deals.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I went over to CC and picked up The Outsiders and Incredible Mr. Limpet, 2 for $10. A stand had about a dozen copies of each title, but The Outsiders was the standard edition instead of the Special Edition. But since the ad clearly specified the Complete Novel edition, I found one of those and took that to check-out.
They gave me a very hard time, and I pointed out that it was clearly the SE that was advertised - I even pointed out the item # on the spines and they matched. Eventually at Customer Service they gave it to me for $5.
I normally never have such a hard time with stuff like this, but this was a Manhattan store and the employees were very stubborn. It took at least 20 minutes. I'm used to the friendly, easy-going folks in Missouri where I lived before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks