What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2/24 (1 Viewer)

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the extensive roundup!

Despite the long list, there's not much I'll be picking up this week, probably just Chappelle. However, I'm intrigued by the "Zatoichi" disc that's listed for CC and Amazon. Is that the full title? Can anyone give me some more info?

Much appreciated,

- Bob

>> Update: After doing some digging, it looks like it's the 1989 "Zatoichi", aka, "Shintaro Katsu's Zatoichi" -- listed as being made in 2003 on some sites -- which has a release date of 2/24. Guess I'll pass, though, as DeepDiscountDVD has it for $11.98! :D

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure this was a mistake, but when I checked my local Worst Buy today to ask what the Dick Van Dyke Season 3 sets would sell for I was told "$69.99" which is the full retail price.

If this ends up being $54.99 or whatever the first two sets were without any opening week deal (as it appears there won't be) I may just hold off on this set until BB sends out one of their 10% coupons. I have been holding that $20 gift card I got from the non-rebate on Seasons 1 & 2 for several months for the specific purpose of buying season 3.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
One Step Beyond has a 12-disc set being released Tuesday as well. Probably will have to order it online if you want it. Also, there is some mass confusion regarding all the different releases that Delta (?) has put out for OSB. I really can't shed any light on the subject, as they started out with a 2-disc release or something to that effect. And now they have 8- and 12-disc releases to boot. Last time I checked their own website, the releases didn't provide any info to clear up what episodes were on each set or how each set differed. Crazy.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
It's the 89 Zatoichi and it's bloody as hell! Good finale to the series. The transfer is very good and the sound is decent, too. A must buy.

Also, you guys check Fry's this week if you have one. They have a handful of DVD's for $4 and about 10 for $6.99 (don
't have the ad at hand).

Matt

PS- Blockbuster has Spy Kids 3-D as one of their $12.99 trade-in titles starting Tuesday.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
To second the commendation above, Wisconsin Death Trip is a terrific picture that takes a look at the disturbing (and highly disturbed) life in the north woods a century ago. It's the spotlight disc at dOc this week. My review:

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=5693

Amazon $25.46
Best Buy $24.99
Circuit City $24.99

No listings for Target or Costco.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
There's a very simple way to send that message - don't buy the titles you feel are overpriced!!

I've found most releases are seeing price reductions within a year or so, and sometimes much less. For example, I was interested in last year's The Shape Of Things, which came out only a few months ago, but I wasn't going to pay $20+ for it. Last week I was in Best Buy and noticed it's now going for $9.99!

If you can wait a little bit, you can save a lot of money.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Thanks for your work, Mike and Patrick!

Just Spy Kids 3D for me (actually, my daughter) this week. Someone please post the Costco price for this if you see it. Thanks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Craig: Couldn't agree with you more. I'm actually waiting on several titles for them to go into the previously-viewed bins at either Hollywood Video or Blockbuster. The point is, it USED TO BE that release week was the way-to-go for new titles. It used to be that you wouldn't be able to find titles for any cheaper than in their first week of release. It really seems like the studios and retailers are getting away from that thinking and charging more upon first release and then bringing the prices down in a shorter time frame than was formerly the case. I think we are witnessing (actually, here, tracking) the reversal of a trend on the part of the industry.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've actually started avoiding release week "sales" and just waiting a few weeks when they're usually sold even cheaper. That or buying used from Blockbuster. Most of their pre-viewed discs are in surprisingly good condition (at least in my local store).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
If you can wait 2 or 3 weeks after release Holly wood video ( at least where I am) starts putting them out for usually 2 for $20. They get so many copies of the new releases that they are choaking on the previewed, and many have been rented only a few times.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Mark Zimmer - I ordered Wisconsin Death Trip from DDD, which tops them all at under $22. Not bad! DVD Talk also has a great review up for it, but I don't have time to find it and link it at work. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks