What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2-22-2011 (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I believe that the video industry just followed the music industry schedule of new releases on Tuesdays. And I think that the industry conformed to Billboard magazine's publishing schedule to maximize chart positions. For example, if a new release comes out on a Monday, and another on a thursday, the sales for those two titles wouldn't be comparable since they were available for sale for two different periods of time. Having worked in a bookstore, I didn't understand why the book industry had new releases available almost every day of the week.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I meant to thank Jeff Meyers for posting all that pricing information on the documentary "See What I'm Saying." Well done.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I believe it's because of the way retailers used to get their stock. There were no deliveries on weekends, so shipments didn't get to stores until Monday, and then stores needed an overnight to stock shelves and put up displays. Now, of course, retailers often get stock a week or more prior to release date. But by that point, the pattern had become ingrained.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Adam's got it about right. Same thing for comic books industry, except the distributor ships those out on Mondays.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Does HTF have a general portal to Amazon for the purchase of any item (thereby benefiting HTF), or are the specific individual links above the only ones available? If there is one, I want to get into the habit of using it. I thought there was, but I looked around and haven't found it. Thanks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT . You can most always find it in the rotating banner promotional thingie at the top of this and most HTF pages atop the right-hand column.

Thanks for wanting to support the HTF.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Wow, I see no such thing on my browser. (Oh wait-- maybe I'm ad-blocking it?)

Also, just to confirm: once I'm on Amazon, nothing indicates I got there through here. Or should it?

Thanks, Mike.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mike Frezon said:
Charles:

It's RIGHT HERE.  You can most always find it in the rotating banner promotional thingie at the top of this and most HTF pages atop the right-hand column.

Thanks for wanting to support the HTF. 
I get a dead link from that, Link. OOps now it works, browser funkiness I guess.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for the heads-up on the Megamind coupon, David.

Interesting that it doesn't actually show up on the regular coupons.com site though -- had to just use your direct link for it.

_Man_

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Also, just to confirm: once I'm on Amazon, nothing indicates I got there through here. Or should it?

Thanks, Mike.

First off thanks for using the link! Secondly there is no indication once you get to Amazon other than you may notice a quick URL redirect.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Just a heads up since you are all here in this thread for deals, that we are giving away a lot of good stuff during our live Oscar chat. I haven't decided exactly how the giveaways will work, but we have lots of good stuff including:

Oscar nominated The Fighter on Blu-ray thanks to Paramount (coming to DVD and Blu-ray March 15th)

3D TV? I have some retail demo 3D blu-rays from Panasonic that are not available anywhere else (not even on Ebay!). They were also nice enough to donate lots of other great titles on Blu-ray. Here are some:

Alice in Wonderland

Toy Story 3

Fantasia/Fantasia 2000

Chuck S3

Lost S6

Firefly complete series

and more

I also have lots of other great (and some not-so great) titles to give away: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/wiki/htf-chat-rules

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Made a purchase on Amazon via Mike's link. Now I need to get that link where I can find it whenever I want it. I wasn't seeing ads, and I've disabled that for HTF. However, I still don't see anything for Amazon. The top banner has been alternating between Best Buy, TiVo, and Fandango, but only when I refresh the page. Does an Amazon portal eventually come up, or is there still something I'm missing on my browser? I'm on Firefox -- but I didn't see anything different on a virgin copy of IE.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT You can click on the amazon link on the right-hand side of the top row and get there that way.

That rotating do-hickey (I wish I knew the proper term for it) should be visible even if you've got ads turned off. LMK if you see what I'm talking about.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here you go! This is what you are looking for. On the right-hand side where it says "Support the HTF When You Shop."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks