What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2/22/05 (1 Viewer)

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the great weekly updates!

Just ordered The Shield 3 for $34.49 including tax and shipping from DeepdiscoundDVD. Might upgrade Get Shorty.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Let's see if we can whet some interest. First, you've got the beautiful Carole Lombard in one of her early roles. Second, the Great Profile himself, John Barrymore (Drew's grandfather). And the film is widely considered one of the great original screwball comedies...right up there with It Happened One Night.

Dennis: Want to give a capsule review of Agony?Ecstasy? :D

TonyD: Anyone who can find the WSS box for $7.50 at Target will be one lucky sonuvagun! :emoji_thumbsup: Good catch! It seems to me I remember Target made that mistake once before and either pulled all the boxes from their store during the sale or didn't stock 'em.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
You can still price match the WSS box at Wal-Mart though. Some people at DVD Talk claim to have done it last time this happened. ;)

I'll be taking up BB on some of their best picture deals and pick up a few titles I should have gotten long ago: Schindler's List, Rain Man & Forrest Gump. $27.48 + tax. Not bad.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

It's in my first post here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=154153

I guess we all have genres that resonate with us. I really like over-acted cornball historical epics. This is one of the best, although many people don't especially like it. For $7 street price it should be a no-brainer though....

Just my luck I'll be the last one here to get my hands on a copy. :angry: I'll make my typical rounds of Frys/CC/BB just to upset myself. Even the limey greek will probably beat me...

Thanks to the recommendation by George and Mike, I'll be Netflixing "Twentieth Century" this week. It sounds great and should be a nice prelude to my purchase of the Warner Classic Comedy set (which includes Bringing Up Baby) the week of the 1st.

As for purchases, I'm on the fence about the Get Shorty: SE. But I'm most definitely picking up the I Heart Huckabees 2-Disc Set, which was one of my top films of last year (saw it four times in the theatre). It's a love-it-or-hate-it film, but if you're interested in an intelligent ensemble farce, give this one a rent before buying. If you like the Charlie Kaufman films but think they could be a little more upbeat, this might be the film for you.

The Target deal on 24 Season 3 sounds good but seeing as that I haven't bought any of the seasons so far and I'm in no rush to do so, I'll wait and see if there are any deals when Season 4 comes out in December. If I can find all four seasons for $100-$110 dollars, that would be worth it.

Overall, light week, which is good. After the roof caved in at work, I could stand to save the money.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The Cat Returns and Nausicaa for me. (I own a R2 copy of Porco Rosso already...)

Jason

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Let's see:
All 3 Miyazaki titles
Heat SE
Get Shorty SE
possibly I Heart Huckabees.
I'm curious about Cube Zero

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
Is cube zero only out in 4x3? Was it shot this way or did they opt not to release a widesreen version?

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton
Well there's no point in buying Heat SE until I watch my original copy of Heat for the first time. I'll probably windup renting I Heart Huckabees and Get Shorty before I buy. Thanks, again, for the guide.. it really is nice to see everything in one place.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i wonder why there are people asking if cube 3 is only full screen.
i watched a copy last week and it was defintely wide and anamorphic enhanced.
good movie too if you like the other 2.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, I watched Twentieth Century 3 times while working on the review (which can be found in the HT Software forum). Does that count triple? :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Huge week. Even after reviewing 6 titles that street Tuesday (Agony & the Ecstasy, South Park s5, Edison: The Invention of the Movies, Leave Her to Heaven, Guimba the Tyrant and Karmen Gei) I still have six things on my shopping list: the Miyazakis plus 20th Century, Venus in Furs and 99 Women. Next week is pretty huge too.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike, put Zimmer down in the Agony & Ecstasy camp....his review is quite favorable. "Less the rent of your house, of course...." :D

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator

Glad to hear it is widescreen. When the box art first came out for Cube Zero it had a fullscreen banner up on the top and several sites,deep discount for example, still list it as coming out only in full screen. Dvd Empire had it listed as full the last time I checked, that was a month or so back, but has now updated it to wide.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ah, thats why.
i guess it'll be at least heat mayby agony this week.
i just wish that "still" at the beginning of the roundup was actualy in the movie.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

It's in my queue now, too. (Twentieth Century, that is...never been one for historical epics.) After the great buzz on Mean Creek you have alot to live up to!

Otherwise, nothing new for me this week. Probably picking up Arrested Development at Target, since I hear the future of the show is up in the air at this point...Maybe HBO or Comedy Central would like to pick it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks