What's new

Weekly RoundUp 2-2-2010 (1 Viewer)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

It could be. I swear they intentionally sit on super saver shipping packages for a few extra days before they load it on either the camel train or the tramp steamer...
I have found that this is usually the case. However, I ordered 3 BD last Thursday and they came in Saturday morning mail. I was so shocked that I actually went back to my email to verify when I ordered. Definitely the exception.

nhmejia

Auditioning
Real Name
Nubia
I'll probably order Mystic River from Amazon. Other than that, nothing looks appealing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Still no word from Amazon that The Music Man has shipped.

I hope they don't have an especially fat man sitting on it...

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hey folks - I found a better price for the Doctor Who specials, from a little etailer called Mikes Comics: http://www.mikescomics.com/DVD1.html

They have the standard DVD for 32 bucks and the Blue Ray for 44 bucks. They're good people over there (I buy toys from them all the time), so I thought I'd point out the chance to save a couple of bucks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon A quick check of "My Account" at amazon.com tells me the estimated shipping date for The Music Man is February 8 (that's next Monday)!

While I suspect it won't take that long...and that, even if it did, my world would not end...I'm still pissed. That's BS.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

While I suspect it won't take that long...and that, even if it did, my world would not end...I'm still pissed. That's BS.
Yeah, I've gotten loooong estimates from Amazon but I don't think I've ever had them take as long as they say.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Unbelieveable. Thought having a local BB would be easier. Ordered Zombieland with in store pickup in my mother's name (my van is out of commision & can't get my wheelchair in her Kia) & she goes to pick it up. I wrote in BIG LETTERS to get the Shut Up or Nut Up version w/ bonus disc. They told her that she had it. She brings it home & I peel off the wrap & it's the regular blu ray (no special SKU or UPC for the bonus disc edition) so she had to trek back to BB to switch it out. Plus now that they switched it out I can't get a price reduction on my .com order as it is recorded as having been returned (the online price has dropped a dollar). Not a big deal but I always had problems ordering online with bonus discs or other premiums attached to dvds & even with a B&M store it doesn't seem to have changed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As I suspected (because I know there's a huge group of people out there dying to know what's going on! ), amazon shipped my copy of The Music Man last night and it now posts an expected delivery date of Saturday, February 8. It'll possibly get here a day or two sooner.

The first disc in the shipment was supposed to be delivered tomorrow but arrived today.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks as always for the round-up, gents.

Doctor Who: Complete Specials (standard DVD) came home this afternoon. BBdot-com says $36.99 on sale, and local store matched it (when I gave them a printout).

Odd that "DW: Waters Of Mars" standard DVD doesn't show on the website at all, yet I think I saw copies on the shelf...? Didn't take the time to copy down the SKU and search that way.

Amelia will be a rental sometime in the future.
===
Saturday Feb 6 update - was back in the area so stopped in to the store. Standard-def DVD of "Waters Of Mars" was there. Sales tag listed it as "docu" (documentary), but the store personnel had the brains to place it in the proper (TV) section. SKU was 9695056. Tried entering that number on the BB website just now, and it came back to tell me "there's no such animal."

How to make sure *not* to sell your wares, in two easy lessons.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Found a few things at Target while there this afternoon:
Mary Tyler Moore Season 6: $22.99
The Wolfman: $19.99 (with a $10 movie ticket)

House of the Devil: $14.99

Might just get that Wolfman set since I'm pretty sure I'll go see the movie.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Got an email from Amazon the MTMS Season 6 dropped to $17.99 so they credited my card back!

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Originally Posted by Bill Thomann

Unbelieveable. Thought having a local BB would be easier. Ordered Zombieland with in store pickup in my mother's name (my van is out of commision & can't get my wheelchair in her Kia) & she goes to pick it up. I wrote in BIG LETTERS to get the Shut Up or Nut Up version w/ bonus disc. They told her that she had it. She brings it home & I peel off the wrap & it's the regular blu ray (no special SKU or UPC for the bonus disc edition) so she had to trek back to BB to switch it out. Plus now that they switched it out I can't get a price reduction on my .com order as it is recorded as having been returned (the online price has dropped a dollar). Not a big deal but I always had problems ordering online with bonus discs or other premiums attached to dvds & even with a B&M store it doesn't seem to have changed.
I went to BB for the same thing but I only found the Blu-ray regular disc. I think the "Nut up or shut up" edition is only on DVD and that all Blu-rays have those features without a second disc. If you go online it only shows the normal Blu-ray and the NUOSU DVD.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
No, there is a Nut Up or Shut Up blu ray (I got the LAST one when mom went back to the store). The website is screwed up. They have the same UPC & SKU for the bonus disc version & the regular. When you click on it it takes you to the regular blu ray. I've read that a lot of stores didn't get any & that the ones that did got very few. The blu rays with the Nut Up or Shut Up bonus disc are going for big bucks on Ebay already. Glad I got one.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Originally Posted by Bill Thomann

No, there is a Nut Up or Shut Up blu ray (I got the LAST one when mom went back to the store). The website is screwed up. They have the same UPC & SKU for the bonus disc version & the regular. When you click on it it takes you to the regular blu ray. I've read that a lot of stores didn't get any & that the ones that did got very few. The blu rays with the Nut Up or Shut Up bonus disc are going for big bucks on Ebay already. Glad I got one.
Okay then, I guess no more BB when a new disc comes out and Target has the same price if they are not going to actually carry what is in the flyer.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ), amazon shipped my copy of The Music Man last night and it now posts an expected delivery date of Saturday, February 8. It'll possibly get here a day or two sooner.
Well. Here's your "Mike Frezon's a nervous Nelly update."

My copy of TMM arrived safe and sound from amazon today--just two days after release date.

I honestly don't know why I get so nervous about these sorts of things.

I've watched the first half-hour or so and it looks/sounds great!

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey

I fail to see the point in advertising such a special and then not carrying enough copies to last a week or so, not to mention even one day. This only serves to annoy and alienate people like me who couldn't get there at the opening bell. Naturally I left BB without spending a dime and planning to boycott them for at least a month (makes me feel good even though I know it doesn't hurt them at all). In my case, I am so bummed that I decided not to buy this extra-expensive movie until it's on a good sale, so the movie lost a sale, too.

I actually fail to see the point in making these silly limited availability extras, anyhow. What can such a strategy possibly accomplish?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by LarryH

I actually fail to see the point in making these silly limited availability extras, anyhow. What can such a strategy possibly accomplish?
It gives people incentive to come into Best Buy which creates an opportunity for them to buy more stuff from their store. Even if the bonus disc copies are gone, most people are still going to buy the movie there.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
It did work in the sense that I did buy the movie there because it was the same price as Target and I wanted to pick up ID4 and Ice Age 3. If I had known of that bait and switch BS I would have bought it at Target since I was headed there anyway to pick up Big Trouble in Little China and then saw RoboCop cheap so I bought it too. However BB has now lost a customer for these releases and will only shop for the super bargains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks