Weekly RoundUp 2-1-2011 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
600x342px-LL-MikesRoundUp.jpg

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Features[/COLOR]

– Alice in Wonderland – 1951

– Bette Davis (All About Eve – 1950)

–Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr (An Affair to Remember – 1957)

–Monsters – 2010

–Irene Jacob (The Double Life of Veronique– 1991)

–The Prowler – 1951 –Jungle Bride – 1933

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Prices[/COLOR]

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]SD-DVD TITLE [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]Amazon[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]BestBuy[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]Target[/COLOR]

11 Harrowhouse

$16.99

$14.99

Abbott & Costello Show: Who's On First?

$9.98

$8.99

Airwolf: Season 4

$29.99

$34.99

Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2

$14.99
ir

$14.99

$17.99

Chain Letter (Rated)

$17.99

$24.99

Chain Letter (Unrated)

$19.99

$24.99

Checking Out

$13.49

The Client List

$15.99

$19.99

Cold Dog Soup

$9.99

$12.99

Conviction

$13.99
ir

$13.99

$17.99

Death Hunt/Butch & Sundance: The Early Years

$13.99

Elena Undone

$18.99
ir

$19.99

The Flockton Flyer: Season 1

$17.99

$14.99

Giula Doesn't Date at Night

$14.99

$19.99

Hatchet II

$13.99
ir

$12.99

Let Me In

$16.99

$13.99

$17.99

The Long Good Friday

$14.98

$12.99

Lucky Lady

$14.99

$14.99

Mean Girls 2

$14.99

$19.99

Mona Lisa

$13.49

$12.99

Monsters (1-disc)

$12.99
ir

$19.99

Monsters SE (2-disc)

$21.99

$24.99

Never Let Me Go

$13.99
ir

$13.99

Night Catches Us

$13.99

$24.99

Precode Hollywood Double Feature: Hell Harbor/Jungle Bride

$17.99

$14.99

The Prowler

$16.49

$14.99

Rhineland

$17.99

$14.99

Shopping

$17.99

$12.99

The Tillman Story

$16.99
ir

$19.99

Virus X

$21.99

$19.99

Welcome to the Rileys

$18.99
ir

$19.99

Withnail and I

$13.49

$12.99

A Woman, A Gun and A Noodle Shop

$19.99

$24.99

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.
[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]BLU-RAY TITLE [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]Amazon[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]BestBuy[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255,255,255)]Target[/COLOR]

$14.99

$16.99

Alice in Wonderland (60th Anniversary Edition) (Disney, 1951)

$19.99

$19.99

$22.99

All About Eve (60th Anniversary Edition)

$22.99

$29.99

An Affair to Remember

$23.99

$29.99

Bad Boys (1983/Sean Penn)

$14.99

$16.99

Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 (Combo Pack)

$19.99

$19.99

$22.99

Boys Don't Cry

$16.99

$19.99

Chain Letter (Unrated)

$21.99

$24.99

Conviction

$26.99

$22.99

The Double Life of Veronique (CC)

$25.99

$34.99

Hatchet II

$14.99

$14.99

Highlander (25th Anniversary Blu-ray Collection)

$22.99

$24.99

Hurricane Season

$14.99

$14.99

Let Me In (Combo Pack)

$19.99

$19.99

$24.99

Monsters SE

$15.99

$16.99

Never Let Me Go

$26.99

$29.99

Night Catches Us

$16.99

$24.99

Pleasantville

$14.99

$16.99

Ray

$20.99

$24.99

Shopping

$22.49

$19.99

The Tillman Story

$22.99

$29.99

Welcome to the Rileys

$23.99

$29.99

A Woman, A Gun and A Noodle Shop

$26.99

$34.99

You've Got Mail

$14.99

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Disclaimer[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,0)]Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp[/COLOR]. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain!
If there is a title not included in the [COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]RoundUp[/COLOR] that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the [COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]RoundUp[/COLOR]. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

[COLOR= rgb(255,0,0)]The Specials[/COLOR]

--Goodbye, Costco. Do you get the sense we are running out of big box retailers from which to buy DVDs/Blu-rays?

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]--BestBuy has rolled out an even bigger number of EXCLUSIVE BLU-RAY TITLES! BestBuy.com lists the titles as being for sale for $16.99. The titles are: Heavy Metal, Hotel Rwanda, Leaving Las Vegas, The Manchurian Candidate (no date given nor cover shown), Dead Man Walking, The Thomas Crown Affair, Robocop 2, Robocop 3, Poultergeist 2, Cove, Rules of Attraction, Killing Machine, Still Waiting, Out of Sight, Last House on the Left (1972). Those titles are alongside, the Long Kiss Goodnight (released 1-11-11), Fire on the Amazon (1-18-11), Hannibal (1-25-11), Almost Famous (1-30-11), and I Spit on Your Grave (no year given) (to be released 2-8-11). Sunday's Best Buy flyer shows Heavy Metal, Almost Famous & The Long Kiss Goodnight on sale for $14.99 and Hannibal at $9.99.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]--Best Buy has the following Blu-ray discs advertised this week for $24.99: The Social Network, Saw: The Final Chapter (Combo Pack), Red (Combo Pack with Comic Book).[/COLOR]

--Also @ BB...the following TV on DVD sale:

$19.99: Dexter: Season 4, The Tudors: S4.

$24.99: Glee: S2 Volume 1

$29.99: NCIS: S7, Criminal Minds: S5.

--And BB has listed the following DVDs for $16.99: Secretariat, Takers, Despicable Me, Piranha 3-D.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: None to report.

--At Target this week, no new release specials to report.

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]--Target has the following Blu-ray discs on sale:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]$10.00: Hancock, Bram Stoker's Dracula.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,255)]$12.99: Fight Club, Wolverine.[/COLOR]

--Target Odds and Ends: A list of s for $4.75 and $7.00.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just a quick note to say I am still adding links to the WRU above...but I didn't want to wait any later to post it up.

I have had an awful night on my PC...with Firefox crashing quite a lot...etc. I have been composing this darn thing for nearly four hours! Just a disaster.

And I've got a miserable head cold to boot!

Forgive me for venting...but that's the kind of night I've had.

And all I wanted to do was watch The Magnificent Seven tonight...

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Mike, i stayed up just to read The Round-Up, and i do not even have any wants this week.

Your work is appreciated!

Now enjoy TM7...i got it here to watch as well.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Mike I know you've considered adding Ultimate Electronics to the roundup, but it looks like you needn't bother -- they're filing for bankruptcy again:

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_17216957

That might explain why their movie sales (I mean discount sales, as in "On Sale!") have been lackluster (and only every other week) since January started.

TV series might be discounted 20% this week, but that'd just be 20% off retail so probably not anything to get excited about.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What a load of wants -- I see at least 15 discs I can see putting on a wish list.

Finally "10" which I think was one of the first 10 DVD's I ever bought and I never really liked the transfer. I can only hope they did it a little justice.

It's really, really sad when you can start organizing a weekly wish list or purchases by decade

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thank you, as always, Mike. And kick the head cold soon!

This is the kind of week that makes me happy. A few discs that are on my "get" list starting with Alice in Wonderland on BD. With the Disney coupon, it's a no brainer. Pleasantville, Boys Don't Cry and All About Eve when the price comes down OR if my budget for the first half of February allows them. That won't be determined until the end of the week.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I feel for yah, Mike. Really sucks when stuff like that happens (and all at once to boot) -- I'm not too keen on using Firefox myself either after giving it a good try for several months on my (former) main PC although IE7/IE8 has its own share of issues particularly w/ HTF. Maybe you should consider switching to IE8 instead -- or maybe it's time to consider a PC upgrade (even if it's just to the cheapest model you can find).

Anyway, you definitely deserve a big thumbs up much more than usual. Thanks much!

Getting back on topic, DVDEmpire.com has the All About Eve BD for $18.99, if anyone's interested. There's also a 10% off coupon that expires on 2/1 -- I forget the code now, but it's easy to find, eg. at dvdpricesearch.com. If you combine that w/ something else (for >=$25 final total), eg. the Rob Roy BD for $10.99, you should be able to get free shipping. I've been thinking of doing that combo myself and will probably finally pull the trigger later today.

Lots of interesting BDs this week, but I'll probably end up holding off on most of them.

I still have the BDs of You've Got Mail and Pleasantville on Amazon preorder from a long while back when they were still $13.99 each, but I've been debating about cancelling them considering all the bargain pricing that's been going on -- and me getting rather tapped out w/ them. I get the feeling it won't be hard to find a better (or at least equal) deal before long -- and they might well hit rock bottom pricing by the next BF shopping season. I'm really in no big rush to get (and watch) them at this point anyway, especially since I still have a sizeable backlog of titles to catch up on...

BTW, since TM7 was mentioned, I finally got around to watching that classic the other day after picking up the Target-exclusive BD (along w/ Four Weddings & A Funeral). Very glad I finally bought this classic on BD (and for just $10+tax). The transfer is not perfect, but it does nicely enough for most of the running time (w/ significant issues cropping up only on occasion). Enjoy, Mike!

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Those that are ordering from DVD Empire can also combine All About Eve and An Affair to Remember to get the free shipping while using that 10% coupon code that expires on 02/02/11. Both of those titles at 18.99 plus another 10% off is by far the lowest price currently available for them.

Crawdaddy

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by Jason_V A few discs that are on my "get" list starting with Alice in Wonderland on BD. With the Disney coupon, it's a no brainer.

Jason-- Where did you find the Disney coupon? I've been watching DMR but haven't seen anything.

Man & Robert-- Thanks for the info on DVDEmpire and All About Eve!

Mike-- Thanks for all of your efforts and get well soon!

Len Berkoski

Stunt Coordinator
Is Costco truly exiting the DVD/Blu Ray business? I assumed it was just the post Christmas reduction where they thin out dramatically

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Also posted this in the HD bargin thread. BestBuy.com has Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Expendables & the 2 disc version of Apocalypse Now for $9.99 each. Lowest they have ever been. Amazon price match will probably soon follow.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm currently logged into DMR and on the Special Offers page, the very first offer is the Alice in Wonderland $10 coupon. You have to have one of the following to get the coupon: any animated Alice in Wonderland version, Beauty and the Beast Diamond Edition, Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Diamond Edition, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, The Boys or Walt and El Grupo.

And thanks to Man and Crawdaddy for sharing the different ways of bringing All About Eve down a bit.
Originally Posted by SD_Brian
A few discs that are on my "get" list starting with Alice in Wonderland on BD. With the Disney coupon, it's a no brainer.

Jason-- Where did you find the Disney coupon? I've been watching DMR but haven't seen anything.

[/QUOTE]

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are multiple UPC that can be entered for teh Alice in Wonderland coupon. Right now the problem is a Disney glitch which is blocking all

the prints. (Almost) Everybody is getting an error message that says you've already used it. DMR is apparently working on a fix.

My first though was they had somehow combined with the Live Action Alice coupon, but there are people who never used that one that are

being blocked too.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for that info. I thought some initial glitches actually ate up my allotted printing attempts.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee

Thanks for that info. I thought some initial glitches actually ate up my allotted printing attempts.
I did too, but then I waited for others to confirm the same problem as I tried to print the coupon very early this morning.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Will_B

I feel for yah, Mike. Really sucks when stuff like that happens (and all at once to boot) -- I'm not too keen on using Firefox myself either after giving it a good try for several months on my (former) main PC although IE7/IE8 has its own share of issues particularly w/ HTF. Maybe you should consider switching to IE8 instead -- or maybe it's time to consider a PC upgrade (even if it's just to the cheapest model you can find).

Yup. Without a doubt...it's time for Mike to bite the bullet and upgrade his computing system. Maybe a laptop is what the doctor should order...

I've been known to run my PC systems into the ground...until the demands I put on them (nothing unrealistic, mind you) render them dysfunctional.

I'm ashamed to admit it...but I was composing last night's WRU on a Pentium III PC with 384 mg or RAM running XP. It has generally run well for me with no fears of being unstable...but I will take last night's episode as a "sign." It is time for a change. The thing is...I don't really think about this too often as, at work, I'm running a Pentium 4 with just slightly more RAM and I had been using a laptop at home of similar vintage (whose display just died).

BUT...I got my wife a new laptop for Christmas...with a current processor, 3 gb of RAM, etc. running Windows 7 and I had my eyes opened about how the computing experience is supposed to be.

Originally Posted by Len Berkoski

Is Costco truly exiting the DVD/Blu Ray business? I assumed it was just the post Christmas reduction where they thin out dramatically

Not necessarily Len. They have simply stopped posting any DVD/Blu-ray prices on Costco.com. I used to be able to find a smattering of new releases prices on their website (I don't have any Costco stores near me)...but now, I've got nothing from them to contribute. About eight or nine years ago, we ran into the same issue with Sam's Club. They would post a small amount of media prices...but then stopped altogether.

I have a BJs Wholesale Club near me which still sells media...but they also don't advertise prices online.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And a special thanks to Adam Gregorich who finished up my remaining few amazon links for me as I stumbled off to bed in a PC and head cold-induced stupor!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Having been fighting a monster cold for 10+ days...I feel your pain, Mike!

Unless I make the jump to BD, I don't see my DVD purchases amounting to much anymore. I've got almost everything I really wanted on DVD, rent most new releases or stream on Netflix. More money in my pocket!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks