What's new

Weekly RoundUp 12-7-2010 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chad R

I've been compiling the RoundUp for nearly seven full years and continue to be amazed at the antics of some BB in-store personnel. Longtime readers know I've had my own share of issues with BB...but this one particular issue of the store employees not wanting to price match their own website keeps me shaking my head. And just when I thought it had pretty much run its course and gone away...it keeps coming back (like a bad penny).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That is odd. One of the price adjustment options at the register is "price match bb.com".

I did it today. the Inception wrang up at $24.99 and I pointed out the pirce of paper on the standee in front of the store says $17.99. "Oh thats for the single disc edition."

"Well it is $17.99 on the web site, here let me show you." iPhone .............

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TonyD

That is odd. One of the price adjustment options at the register is "price match bb.com".

I did it today. the Inception wrang up at $24.99 and I pointed out the pirce of paper on the standee in front of the store says $17.99. "Oh thats for the single disc edition."

"Well it is $17.99 on the web site, here let me show you." iPhone .............

Wow. That's as easy as it should be anywhere.

Must be that their corporate memos on this policy have been lost en route to some stores.

Great story, Tony.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

That's even stranger about the Inception (1-disc) being available at multiple retailers...but not others.

I wonder who's choice it was? Did the studio say "pay us extra and we'll allow you to sell this unique item?" Or, was it offered to everyone but only some retailers decided to bother?

It just makes the process of keeping track that much more confusing.

Whichever way it went down...I bet any retailer who's got the 1-disc is wondering why today...especially since the combo pack has dropped down so low in price.

This is purely speculation on my part, Mike, but I suspect some retailers are demanding these BD only versions of the heavily advertised combo-packs. I suspect many a casual consumer is wary of the extra "value" they actually derive from these multi-disc sets, and I am sure they are making their feelings known to retailers. The 4-disc Fantasia Blu-ray combo-pack is an excellent case in point. Two of the four discs are nothing more than DVD-only versions of the two feature films contained on the BD discs. If it wasn't for the heavily discounted release week sale price combined with the ubiquitous $10 Off Disney Rewards coupon, I would have certainly opted for the 2-disc set. To Disney's credit, they do give consumers a choice, but you wouldn't necessarily know it was an option based on their advertising. All of Disney's advertising is geared toward the 4-disc combo-pack.

Personally, these extra DVD discs, and most especially the digital download discs, are not "features" I am willing to pay extra for. When the 4-disc combo-pack is so discounted, it costs less than a standard one or 2-disc set, I am there. But, if studios think this demonstrates consumers are embracing (and seeking out) these 3-4-disc combo-packs, they are clearly misreading the tea leaves IMO...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's interesting discussion, Gary.

It was fascinating to watch the price drop at so many retailers this week for the Inception combo pack. So many retailers offering the combo pack for the same price as that 1-disc version at those places who carried it.

Wait'll you see some of the combinations that are going to be in next week's WRU.

The Other Guys is going to have a Theatrical DVD release, Unrated Extended DVD, 1-disc Blu-ray and Combo Pack Blu-ray.

The Owls of Ga'Hoole will get a DVD release, a limited 1-disc Blu-ray release (like Inception this week), a Blu-ray combo pack release, and a 3-D combo pack release.

It's going to get really confusing...for consumers and retailers alike.

I totally understand what you say about price point. It's going to be worth watching closely how the prices break down with all these different options.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Blockbuster also has a 1 disc br of Inception for sale.

btw The Other guys longer cut was really funny, we just finished it.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Originally Posted by TonyD

Yeah, but it shouldn't be something cashiers need to do. They shouldn't have to price match their own website. It should be already in the system at the same price as the website. They're a technology company for heaven's sake. The majority of their customers are into technology and are more apt to check the price on the website before they'd dig up the newspaper ad. I would imagine that it's causing them more customer dissatisfaction by keeping the store price and internet price separate. They should be the same.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Retailers in general are moving toward multichannel selling solutions (i.e., having a single system for in-store, online, and phone orders). Most places already offer the same prices online and off.

It's funny, in that they were one of the first to offer online purchases for in-store pickup, yet seem to be well behind the curve in terms of standardized pricing. They're not like Walmart, which varies pricing regionally, so there doesn't seem to be much point other than to make a few extra bucks off people who don't price-check (which is another thing that's becoming ubiquitous).

Best Buy will have to catch up eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks