Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the prices.

This week:
Simpsons Movie
Blade Runner HD DVD 5-disc

Also ordered last week's Bourne Ultimatum HD in BB's BOGO.

In the case of CII and NT CE, they're both re-releases, which are rarely given loss-leader pricing the week of release. Not sure aout the pricing on RH 3 - the non-Tuesday release, perhaps?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Please tell me you're joking.

The amazon Blade Runner explanation didn't mention the free "I'm a loser geek" tattoo with the 5 disc set. Or is that a Best Buy exclusive? I want to be sure to get mine.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Fred Meyer has a special offer: buy the Simpsons Movie DVD and they throw in a box of their bakery-shop donuts! :laugh: Too bad they want $19.99 for the disc.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
For $16.99 I may just have to pick up that Evil Dead UE at Best Buy. I haven't owned nearly enough copies of that movie yet anyway. I believe this will make it a quadruple dip for me (counting my old VHS copy).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ugh. Another week I wish I had an unlimited bank account. Blade Runner, Stardust, Simpsons, the BOGO sale... I still don't know what I'll be able to fit into the budget, if anything.

Thanks A LOT guys. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:laugh: Like I said last week, that's why I do the RoundUp blindfolded! :)

Hard to ignore that BB BOGO sale though. I might have to pick up HP/Order of Phoenix and Mr. & Mrs. Smith. But, then again, I can't find time to watch ANYTHING lately! I thought I was going to clear off some of the backlog when baseball season stopped. But I've got a growing list of titles needing to be watched...and I know Christmas is only going to make that list larger.

And, of course, finances are tight...and there's a blizzard in my area today...so I won't be getting to a BB for awhile. And even if I did get there, I doubt I could find a parking spot at the mall this week! :D Ugh. Who wants to go to the mall the week before Christmas? But, then again, I've still got to try and take advantage of that raincheck on the two Disney Treasures titles...

[Mike holds head in hands as the room starts spinning...]

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Just several rentals for me: Simpsons Movie, Halloween (despite the pretty much universal bad reviews), Hatchet (where was this during the Scary Moive Challenge???), and possibly Once, which I recall getting pretty good reviews. Purchasing is done 'til I see what's under the tree next week!

Mike:
Here's a thought (not sure if you have considered it in the past or not)---is there any possibility that for the "extras" that various retailers offer you could group them by title rather than by retailer? For example, it seems a little easier (for us at least, :) ) to figure which edition of "The Simpsons Movie" to buy if you were able to compare all the retailers at one time. Just a thought... And having tried a CD version of the Round-Up here a few years ago, I KNOW how much work goes into one of these! So thanks for taking on the challenge each week!

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Why is it always the same movies that are cheap? I've been seeing stuff like Bone Collector on sale all friggin year. Gimme something I don't already have! Half of what CC and BB put on sale is already in the $5 bin at Walmart all year long. How come I've only seen Animal House on sale for like $3 one time at Best Buy? I'd pick that up if someone sold it cheap again. What happened to American Pie? BB sold out of that the 1 time it was on sale for like $2.99. I'm not buying it till I see the Ultimate Edition under $10 or an HD-DVD release. Prices are rather annoying all around though. They oughtta put Nightmare on Elm Street individual releases on sometime. I used to see the snapcase ones in Walmart's bin, but I never see the keepcase releases cheaper than $7 at CC and they never have all 7.

Hopefully, we'll see HD/BD stuff pickup next year after all the Xmas player sales and SD-DVD prices will come down more on things that normally don't. Jungle 2 Jungle is like 10 years old now, but everywhere I look wants $13 or more. That's nuts. At the very least, that should be a $7.50 title at Walmart. Also annoys me all the Xmas displays stock Home Alone 1 and 2 but not 3. Weird.

I had 1162 VHS movies last July. I'm down to just over 500 right now. There's still plenty I could see replacing with DVD/HD if the price is right, but half of them either aren't available or are never on sale.

RoyWilbury

Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone think there's any chance that if I go to Target, they will allow me to apply this coupon to the Blu-Ray version? The coupon does specifically state (and picture) the DVD version, but I'm wondering if I would have any luck trying to use the coupon for the Blu-Ray version. It has a barcode, so I'm thinking it wouldn't work if they scanned it in for the Blu-Ray version.

On the other hand, this coupon is on the studio's website, and their Blu-Ray version is twice as expensive, so I would think they might have a coupon for that Blu-Ray version as well or intend this coupon to work on it.

I guess this would be one time where I would hope that the employees at Target *don't* know the difference between DVD's and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. I suppose one could feign ignorance as well, and say "Well, this is the "Blu-Ray DVD" version!" :)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

I thought only the briefcase release was "limited." The regular 5-disc release should stick around for a while. Shouldn't it?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Joe, there is no "regular 5-disc release". There's only a "regular 4-disc" DVD release, and the "5-disc high res" releases on BRD and HD-DVD. See my post above for the Amazon link that charts the 7 different releases coming Tuesday.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

That's what I meant. They list the 5-disc HD/BD with the briefcase and without. Don't they?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Can't be certain...but I think it will work on the BD version, Roy. There was a similar coupon for Target on Live Free or Die Hard and IIRC a RoundUpper reported that it worked just fine on the BD release.

I had every intention of trying that myself but had difficulty finding the BD version in my local Targets. I ended up saving even more money by ordering it from Amazon.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Joe, when you said "regular" I took this to mean regular DVD, i.e. SD-DVD. There is no five disc SD-DVD set sans briefcase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks