Weekly RoundUp 12-17-2013 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
schan1269 said:
I was reading the other day about "free the nipple"(this will get relevant) and lgbt issues in movies being beyond pg13...Any who...Disney(if you count all the "hinted at"...like Milan in Once Upon a Time) is providing strides.They missed the boat, big time, with John Carter.John Carter should have been truer to the intent of the book...and shown Disney isn't scared of itself.

Umm, okay.......

anyway Aaron as far as I know the only difference is the download of music "inspired by the film" and the red border on the art.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I love trying to type stuff on my phone. I only get to see 2 lines of text and between type and send, my phone will preempt the grammar I've chosen.

John Carter is a movie that either Disney should have passed on doing...or done it right. Problem is, Disney is stuck in their own legacy.

There was more to the post as well, but I lost it trying to edit the post(when you can only see two lines).

Long story short...John Carter sucked cause Disney couldn't do it right.

And it is Mulan...not Milan. Maybe I'll stop using the app on the phone and switch back to the home page version.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
What does the Disney legacy have to do with not being able to get John Carter right - not all of us are up on all the details here...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
John Carter is based on a book where the central premise is...

"She is so lovely there is not a stitch of clothing that does her justice" (not exactly how it is written)

That entire concept is why John Carter does what he does. Remove that premise....then the rest of the movie goes to hell(cause again...a lot of what he does is to win her)

Even Lynn Collins was shocked to find out no nudity was involved. Not even a quick glimpse like was done in Doc Hollywood.

By the way:
John Carter takes a dump on Edgar Rice Burroughs' legacy.

Sadder part...this movie is in some ways better...but is 90% worse...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_of_Mars (and considering who is in it, they could have done it right)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't want to make this a John Carter conversation, but that line is not why the movie failed. (Edward, in the Twilight books, is described as the most beautiful man ever. And they cast Robert Pattison. Those movies were phenomenal hits.

JC's problem, among others is that it was a Disney movie. But not because of the nudity. Because of what "Disney" means to an audience. Family fare, light, entertaining, don't think too much. You had to pay attention in JC and understand the connections. If this was a Paramount or Fox or Universal movie, I think it would have done better as the same exact movie. Disney didn't know how to market it and the weight of expectation on Andrew Stanton was way too much.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
schan1269 said:
John Carter is based on a book where the central premise is...

"She is so lovely there is not a stitch of clothing that does her justice" (not exactly how it is written)

That entire concept is why John Carter does what he does. Remove that premise....then the rest of the movie goes to hell(cause again...a lot of what he does is to win her)

Even Lynn Collins was shocked to find out no nudity was involved. Not even a quick glimpse like was done in Doc Hollywood.

By the way:
John Carter takes a dump on Edgar Rice Burroughs' legacy.

Sadder part...this movie is in some ways better...but is 90% worse...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_of_Mars (and considering who is in it, they could have done it right)
Nonsense. Lynn Collins is a megababe, the hero becomes completely infatuated with her, and action, hijinks, and possibly the greatest CGI sidekick of all time ensue. Actual nipples were unnecessary to get the point across.

A Princess of Mars is a great book. John Carter took many liberties with the original text, but it's a great movie anyway. Just like the Lord of the Rings films took many liberties with the original text but still managed to be awesome in their own way.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Costco has Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters with an instant rebate of $8, final price $17.99. Good thru Sunday, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks