What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-4-2008 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up Futurama on Blu-ray and Popeye: Volume Three.

Thanks for the prices, guys!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

SeanC

Agent
Does anybody know if the Get Smart: Complete Series set is the same as the TimeLife version, with all the special features, or is it bare bones?

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

I'd be curious to know... the folks that are triple dipping on titles... do you have families with children, mortgages, second mortgages, car payments, college to pay for, a 401K bludgeoned by the recent downturn? I'm to the point now where there has to be an awful lot offered to double dip on a title, especially when I'm finding a lot of upconverted sd-dvds looking so good on the new players for WAY less. I'd be curious if this is going to have a major effect on the industry. I'm a guy who bought the original SW Trilogy Definitive Collection on LD and have a closet full of those box sets. Don't get me wrong, I still find myself looking here every week, but it's a lot harder to pull the trigger on those "must have" double & triple dip titles these days. Must.... have.... self... control.... Please.... help.. me.......:D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I guess this will be my third trip with Apes in some form (2 disc original, box set, BD), so I'll take a stab.

No children, no mortgage (bf's house is paid off), both cars 100% paid for, we're both out of college, the bf's maxed out his IRA for the year, close to his 401(k) limit...same for me. Money goes into my two IRA's and ING savings account on a weekly basis, too.

My parents always taught me to budget and spend frugally. That's why I can have weeks where I plop $200 on movies (two weeks ago) and really not think twice about it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

David: Welcome to the club (not a club we want to belong to, mind you).

I have always said in the past that readers of the RoundUp would be amazed at how few new titles I buy each week. Unlike Dave Lambert (the previous RoundUp author) who started compiling the thread as an extension of his own buying habits, I compile the thread mostly to know where the deals are and what the trends are within the industry. Easily, the bulk of my purchases are used.

But even those purchases have been scaled way back with my second child now in college and other economic issues at work in my household.

That's okay, though (it HAS to be)...I've got a backlog queue of films to catch up on.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

One thing I found here a loooooong time ago is that there is a wide variety of economic situations among the members of the Home Theater Forum. It is a VERY diverse group indeed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
me neither, don't know why I did it this time.

Also seems that BBV just got the memo.
Panda will be on Saturday here too.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed in BB this morning that they had First Season sets of select Sony series (Fantasy Island, Partridge Family, Facts of Life, etc.) in exclusive tin lunchbox collectible packaging for $19.99. The lunchboxes look very nice (as does the price--I've been meaning to get Fantasy Island S1 for awhile now), but does anyone know how the DVDs are packaged on the inside? I can't find any images of these on the Web anywhere, and I'm very hesitant. I like the price, but I know Sony has been putting recent series set DVDs on spindles. When I shake the lunchbox, it sounds like a rock inside.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jeff: This is only a guess...

But I would suspect they've just taken the original amaray packaging and put it inside the lunchbox.

That could sound like a rock banging around.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
REAPER! Yes! I am so totally getting this, even on a slightly strained budget. My friends, if you haven't checked out this series, you owe it to yourself to at least rent it. The lead character isn't very charismatic, but then he's not supposed to be, which is kinda how the show works with him being a loser forced to handle dangerous assignments for The Devil. But the show is totally hijacked by the supporting character of Sock, played by Tyler Labine. Not to mention the way too sexy Missy Peregrym who plays the love interest. Check it out, you won't regret it.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike! I never thought about the Amaray cases. I spent a whole ten minutes trying to figure it out and all I could come up with was that Sony was doing a "Great Pumpkin" number and putting a rock inside each lunchbox. I think BB was ready to call the cops.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
BBV is attempting to secure a Friday or earlier release for Panda, stay tuned.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF you really want that UK version of Almost Famous on BD, you can always order it from places like SendIt.com (and probably for less too).

I was tempted to import it a long while back, but decided not to since I really want both versions of it, not just the extended version. Hopefully, Dreamworks will get to it soon enough...

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I suppose now you could try to "visualize" an amaray case inside the lunchbox and see if the size seems right to be making the "rock banging" noise as you move/slide it around. Just an idea...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of lunchboxes... I've heard the new complete Flintstones boxset being described that way.... Its a freakin' stone-age TV set folks!

Oh, and...

Wife, no kids. 1 Mortgage (should be paid off in 7 years) 1 car payment and a 401k plan that was indeed bludgeoned! And I haven't triple dipped on Planet of the Apes yet! But my resolve is weakening!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Yea, go ahead, do it! It wont hurt, you wont get hooked.
But really, i got the first 2, and i might get the others when i see them cheap. Or not at all, if i dont.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Anybody think that in the long run , these best buy exclusive lunchboxes will become available widely at places like amazon ??? Since Im overseas, its my only hope !!!! I would love to get a silver spoons lunchbox,even though I already own season 1, lol !!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks