What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-28-2006 (1 Viewer)

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Travis. I'll check out FYE. Maybe it will have a rebate for Clerks II, and I have a Backstage Pass for 10% off, so that might take some sting out.
As for the Ult Collection - oh well, it's worth it for the Donner Cut and Returns at the price I got from B&N I guess.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I'm glad you brought this up, Paul, since a lot of folks have been struggling with it. It is a conundrum for sure, but if you do the math, there is a significant savings (not to mention additional exclusive content) to be had by purchasing the boxset.

Using the lowest b&m advertised prices (thanks RoundUp!) from the big 3 (BB, CC & Target, since not everyone has a Costco in their neighborhood) and duplicating exact contents wherever possible, when you compare totals, the individual releases cost $110.94 versus $69.99 for the box. Remove Supes III and IV from this equation and your total is still $84.96 ($14.97 more than the boxset.) In other words, it costs MORE to buy just the titles you want.

The only reason I can think for doing this (besides not being able to pony up $70 at a time) is that someone loathes III and IV so much they are willing pay a premium to keep them out of their collection. Believe it or not, there may be a few out there willing to do so.

Myself, I am opting for the boxset, technical issues and all. As always, YMMV.

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
i hate different stores getting different bonus disks. curses. looks like im getting superman returns at cc, and clerks 2 at fye. ill probably buy the superman box set so ill give the supes returns as a christmas present :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the Roundup.

Just the Serials of Superman (Kirk Alyn) for me this week.

Steve

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Heads-up for those with a Fry's in their city - the Houston-area Fry's are advertising the Superman Ultimate Collection for $64.99 on Tuesday. Not a guarantee, but it's a good bet that this price will show up in most Fry's nationwide.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Weird that the 3 Kevin Smith related DVDs coming out on the same day as all the Superman releases (He wrote one of the many scripts that eventually lead to Superman Returns.)

I'm looking at one of the Superman Returns SE (probably CC unless I find out that the BB Comic is better than the bonus DVD), Superman 2 (Donner Cut) and Clerks II

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Not really. RETURNS and II:DONNER come to about $42. If that's all I'm interested in it's still quite a bit less than $70. Only if I wanted to add, say, the 4 disc SUPERMAN then it would make sense to buy the box as it's only a couple bucks more. You really need to weigh in on your interest in the other titles, and if you really want to dig in to the extra features. I'm just not sure yet. I'll probably end up buying the box tho. Because I'm like that. :)

-paul

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey all you HD guys and gals out there!

Is this a milestone week with Smallville: S5 in HD? Seems to me that's the first TV series out in HD. Is that right?

I see a Sopranos season coming up in a couple weeks, too.

Joe-Frietze

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, but some of us managed to get The Ultimate box for under $50 shipped with the Barnes & Noble deal Patrick posted. So, yeah, for us it actually was worth it just for Returns and Donner Cut, plus the shiny box. And I actually want to watch the documentaries. So even if I never watch 1, 2 (theatrical), 3, or 4, it's worth it. But I'll watch 'em all, just for nostalgia. :D

And thanks for the update on the bad discs, Travis!

-Joe

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yeah, Mike. I can tell ya! :D

Target has St. Elsewhere for $32.99. :thumbsdown:

So, it's either off to CC tonight...or to Wal-Mart for a CC pricematch (if necessary).

BrandonJF

Second Unit
FYI - I bought Bones Season 1 at CC and it rang up as $14.99 with a $5 gift card (you pay $19.99).

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Thanks, as always, Mike.

Ordered the American Girl collection for my (recently turned) 8-year American girl :) for Christmas. BTW Mike, thanks last week for the Macy's parade pokemon heads up. We happened to catch the Scooby balloon and the Pikachu balloon.

I'm in the same boat as Paul about Superman. I already have I and II and want the Donner cut of II and Returns. Do I buy just those or spring for the Ultimate collection? Decisions, decisions...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is pretty cool. Just read about a promotion where you go to a local Papa Johns and buy a pizza and get a coupon for $3 off Superman Returns!

PapaJohns.com

They are also promoting a large 7-topping "Superman" pizza for $12.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks