What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-18-2008 (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mike - Walmart.com has the SD 3-disc, the one Nick said he bought, for $22.86.

Although I would like to have gotten the puzzle cube, I'm more than happy with the price I got at Amazon, $18 and change, thanks to a B2G1 glitch they had a couple months ago. And it shipped today so hopefully I'll have it by Saturday so I can watch it this weekend. Otherwise, I probably won't be able to watch it for a few weeks.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I went to Walmart itself with there internet print out and they did not honor the price. So I went to target and got the 2 disc version with a free tree to plant !!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Oops. Must...pay...better...attention! :D

I had every intention of trying to do the WM.com price match gambit at Best Buy tonight (had the W-M.com page printed and folded in my pocket!) but didn't make it there in time before it closed tonight.

Instead, I ended up picking up the 2-disc Wall-E BD at my local FYE (TransWorld) store for $26.99--but they also have a $5 rebate...bringing the eventual price down to $21.99. I figure I wouldn't be able to do better than that and it was convenient for me...so that's what I did! :emoji_thumbsup:

I know there have been regular RoundUppers extolling the praises of the FYE rebates. This will be my first time giving then a test drive. So far, the experience at the register was perfect. They printed me a specific rebate form for the disc and a second receipt to send with the form. I'll report in as the process continues.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I haven't done a ton, but most seem to have worked out. I think one was rejected once, they claimed the purchase was "outside the rebate period," which I think was bunk. But I did pick up the 3-disc "Hellboy II" last week for an after-rebate price of $17.99.

The only downside for some folks is you have to cut the UPC code from the box to send in. Some people just can't bring themselves to do that. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I'd rather not have to cut the UPC if I didn't have to....but for $5, what the hell...

I actually haven't looked at the instructions on the rebate form yet.

I also plan to do the $5 rebate via Minute Maid that in the Sunday coupons in the paper. That'll bring the final costs down to $16.99! :D I was reminded of that because for THAT ONE I noticed I have to cut one of the proof-of-purchase tabs off the cover art.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Mike:

I have heard from others that you don't need the UPC from the DVD case on FYE rebates, that just the price sticker from the package will do. Although, as you know, YMMV! Good luck!

FWIW, I had no issue with my steelbook Cloverfield rebate through FYE....

Anyone have an opinion on the various giveaways with Tropic Thunder this week? I am on the fence with this movie. Have heard mixed reviews.

--John

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I went to the Meijer in Naperville this morning. They had a copy of the $16.99 blu-ray ad with the $16.99 crossed out in pen and $26.99 printed next to it. So it was an ad printing error.

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Phil - You're just around the corner to me. Try a price match at Best Buy. Sorry it didn't work out for everyone else.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

John: Awesome! Thanks!

I just called my wife and had her dig through the trash for the cellophane wrapping (which I had just opened last night)! Boy, is she happy with me! :rolleyes

:D [10cc]...the things we do for love![/10cc]

Anyway, I DID look at the rebate info last night and it DID mention needing to send a UPC. So if the combo UPC/price sticker from the package suffices, that would be GREAT!

Has anyone else had experience with this? I know this issue has come up several times over the years in this space.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tell her she can have half of the rebate. That'll make it all better. :D

I'm mailing my FYE Wall-E rebate today ($7 back on the 3-disc SD). On my package, there was a UPC sticker stuck on the outside of the shrink-wrap over the UPC on the box (different from the price tag on the front). They seem to have the same numbers, so I just peeled that off and am sending that rather than cutting up the box. We'll see.

If they reject it, I'll just have to consider ordering online. Looks like Amazon had the same price without any rebate hoops to jump thru.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ooooh. We're having a "shared experience."

:laugh:

Yeah. This FYE purchase, for me, was all about the convenience. We'll see if it works out. If it does, it may just encourage me to do this more often.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Let us know how you make out in a future Round-up, Mike! Glad I can help you save some money (and case destruction), 'cause God knows you have saved me a ton of money in the past!!!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I picked up Tropic Thunder Blu-ray @ BB tonight. Thought the t-shirt was the most "useful" of all of the extras. I think my wife got Wall-E, but I won't know until Xmas. :frowning: I was told not to buy it........

--John

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the nice words, John! :emoji_thumbsup:

Your wife probably just wrote a note to Santa telling him Wall-E would be a good gift idea for you. It all rests now on whether you've been a cotton-headed ninny muggins this year and ended up on his naughty list.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Spotted today at Target in Delray Beach, FL:

$24.99 - Target Exclusive 3-disc set -- Kung Fu Panda WS SD-DVD, Furious Five bonus movie, and full PC version of the Kung Fu Panda video game.

$49.99 - Sold out of Tomb Raider for PS3 at this price; substitute item Metal Gear Solid 4. (No Nightmare Before Christmas sub at this store, though.)

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Mike, just checked circuitcity.com & they have their full selection of dvd's back on their website. I don't know if it was a glitch or if they decided that eliminating dvd's from the website was not a good idea but I just checked and they are back.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don't I know it, Bill...

:frowning:

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I thought I was catching a break, but my workload increased back to what it was before. They've been back for a few days now. I had decided to be safe and check, myself.

All of CC's prices will be in next week's RoundUp when I post it later tonight. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks