What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-17-2009 (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Amazon price for Star Trek 2009 3-disc BD is now down to $19.99.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
--Best Buy, this week, has some major DOORBUSTER PRICES for the new Star Trek release. Be at Best Buy for the first two hours of business on November 17 and the following prices are in effect:

Star Trek DVD (1-disc): $12.99
Not sure why I would want to make the early trip to BB when I can order at Amazon for $3 less at $9.99 (if it were a title I wanted, that is).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Would Chasing Amy be an okay place to start? It's been sitting on my shelf for years...just sort of looking back at me. I picked up the Criterion release used at a game store for next-to-nothing...but I've never worked up the nerve to spin it.

I honestly know very little about these films.

Originally Posted by GlennH

Amazon price for Star Trek 2009 3-disc BD is now down to $19.99.
Hmmmm. Thanks, Glenn! Trigger finger's getting itchy.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ). Spend your time watching Love Actually instead w/ your Missus -- I really doubt she'll *ever* like Chasing Amy, even if you ever learn to appreciate it yourself.

If you really want to try something fun from them (and don't mind the irreverance and cynicism of it all along w/ their usual dosage of 4-letter words), I'd suggest Dogma instead. I (and my wife) am evangelical protestant, and my wife and I found Dogma to be absolutely hilarious -- and for some, it may stimulate a desire to understand one's faith better. Of course, many of the more devout, conservative Catholics (and many conservative protestants and maybe even many conservatives of all sorts) will likely be thoroughly offended by Dogma. So if you've got a particularly conservative bone in your body (or your wife's), then maybe you'll want to avoid Dogma (and most of their films in general actually).

But do note though that Kevin Smith did *seem* to use to consider himself a devout and thoughtful Catholic (of sorts) at least back when Dogma was made AFAIK, so it's not like he's merely taking cheap shots at somebody else's religion -- well, he's certainly poking fun at certain aspects of the religion, particularly of the more recent touchy feely variety (and also the old follow-w/out-thinking variety as well).

Hmmmm. Thanks, Glenn! Trigger finger's getting itchy.

Mike, didn't you go for the BB combo deal from a couple weeks back?

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic /forum/thread/294930/weekly-roundup-11-17-2009#post_3628464

That's something that I would like to know. I have finally planned on getting a blu player in 2010 and while I plan on being more selective with blu titles, I think that this is one that I would like to have, but in the meantime would like the dvd. I might just get the dvd ($9.99 at Amazon is pretty good) and worry about blu next year or so if no combo exists.
No idea, but $10 for the DVD is not bad. If you later don't want to keep it, maybe you can still sell it (or give it away to a friend or something).

OR maybe you should just rent the DVD for now, but buy the BD whenever you find a good sale price. There's good likelihood that you'll eventually spot it for something closer to $15-17 down the line, if not less, maybe as soon as the BF/CM sales -- in fact, that's roughly what I'm paying for my BB preorder. Anyway, I seem to remember highly popular blockbuster action titles like Iron Man and Incredible Hulk got discounted very steeply during the BF/CM sales last year -- and those were released maybe a month or two before the BF/CM sales. And judging from recent sales trend, I don't see why ST won't get similar sales discounts around BF/CM time (or maybe in Dec).

_Man_

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
No idea, but $10 for the DVD is not bad. If you later don't want to keep it, maybe you can still sell it (or give it away to a friend or something).
I went with the Amazon $10 because I’m not sure when I’ll get a player. Most likely later next year and once I do I’ll look for bargain blu discs, which by then, Trek might be one of them. And I’ll give the dvd to my dad most likely. I also ordered the combo of Up since that seemed like a decent deal for both.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Mike, didn't you go for the BB combo deal from a couple weeks back?
Nope. Not even sure what you're talking about. Combo deal on Star Trek (2009) and what? A pre-order?

I ended up doing amazon's combo deal on Up & Monster's Inc. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Thanks for the remarks on the Smith films. I was actually given a copy of Dogma recently. Maybe THAT'S where I'll start after all.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the Star Trek Blu+DVD combo question, any chance the "digital copy" comes in such a way that you could just pop it into a DVD player that handles multiple formats (WMV, AVI-divx, etc.) and use that as a temporary solution until a Blu-ray player is purchased? (I'm in this situation myself and am loving the recent Disney combo releases with $10 coupons).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Thanks for the remarks on the Smith films. I was actually given a copy of Dogma recently. Maybe THAT'S where I'll start after all.
I think Dogma is probably the most accessible to a non-Kevin Smith fan (though I'll echo Man's 'warnings' about it). Clerks seems like a logical starting point but it might scare you off since it's a very inexpensively made movie ($27,000) by kids who didn't know what they were really doing.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Some nice unadvertised specials at Target this week. I stopped in to pick up "Dexter" S3, advertised at $18.99, and picked up "Castle" S1 for $14.99 and "The Closer" S4 for $12.99.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
BB was offering $10 off if you bought the new Trek and any of the old ones. (Who knows -- maybe they still are!)

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
I'll be picking up Star Trek blu ray at our brand new Best Buy b&m at the doorbuster price of $20.99 (using a $10 gift card I got from purchasing my first blu ray player there on Friday). Got a $20 gift card Friday towards the blu ray player purchase (first 50 reward zone members with postal invite got one) & got another $20 gift card as one of the first 50 "regular" customers on their official Saturday opening too. Didn't make out as well though as our Roundup author Mike with his $200 HTF contest prize. Congrats Mike.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Bill.

It's burning a hole in my pocket. My wife is insisting that I spend it on something HT related. No wonder we've been married 27+ years!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
has anyone mentioned the amazon links don't work.
or is that old news and I missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks