What's new

Weekly RoundUp 11-13-2012 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's news for anyone with an FYE (TransWorld) store near them.

I was looking at the blu of The Amazing Spider-Man this weekend at one of my local stores. The DVDs were marked to have a $7 rebate...but the Blus didn't.

HOWEVER...here's the deal. The 2-D Blu of The Amazing Spider-Man was marked $34.99...marked down "on sale" to $24.99. With my backstage pass...it came to $22.49...and I am, indeed, eligible for a $7 rebate...bringing my grand total to just $15.49. Sweet.

Now a question to those of you who do these FYE rebates on a regular basis. Is it really okay for me to use the store's sticker from the front of my Blu case which shows the price and has the bar code and appropriate SKU numbners on it (instead of cutting the original barcode from the back cover art)?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Originally Posted by David Norman /t/325110/weekly-roundup-11-13-2012/30#post_4000656
I think the first one in a long while anyway.
I think Finding Nemo already has a coupon website placeholder waiting to go live at the end of the month.
I'm not sure I know the reasoning behind not having one unless it's a trial run to slowly wean us off of expecting
coupons at least for first time releases -- many of them have already dropped from 10 to 8 to 5.
My local Wal Mart had the 3D edition of Brave for $24.96. That's the lowest price I've seen anywhere so far. The shelf sticker said $29.96, but it scanned in at $24.96.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Are any of you Barnes and Noble members? I'm looking to get Trilogy of Life, and since I just got a membership i got an online only 10% extra coupon.
In store you get 50%off plus another 10% off after that, but it doesn't show up online even though I'm signed in and my membership is linked to my account.
Is that extra 10% only in store or does it show up when you check out or something?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/325110/weekly-roundup-11-13-2012/30#post_4000959
Are any of you Barnes and Noble members? I'm looking to get Trilogy of Life, and since I just got a membership i got an online only 10% extra coupon.
In store you get 50%off plus another 10% off after that, but it doesn't show up online even though I'm signed in and my membership is linked to my account.
Is that extra 10% only in store or does it show up when you check out or something?

The extra 10% only applies in-store. It used to apply online, too, but they eliminated that a couple of years ago. Now members get free shipping on any amount.

I only shop B&N in stores, placing an online order only when absolutely necessary (and that's only happened twice in several years). I am determined to preserve the in-store experience (with a 10% bonus) to the bitter end.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
It's about the $ for me, so unless I have a bigger online only coupon, then I'll stick with the stores as well.
I'm trying to get a complete set of Criterions so it's really cool seeing how deep their supply of titles is, many I'd never seen in person before

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
I'm trying to get a complete set of Criterions so it's really cool seeing how deep their supply of titles is, many I'd never seen in person before
As a collector of plenty of things, I'm curious how you're going about your Criterion Collection. Will a laserdisc suffice or will you go for the most current release? If you're lukewarm to the movie or unfamiliar with it will you get the Blu-ray when the DVD is available and likely cheaper? Are you a completist and going to try to get every release of each title? In the case of, say, A Night To Remember, there's the LD, the first DVD, the DVD re-release and the Blu-ray.
It should be a pretty impressive feat when it's completed.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'm treating the LD and DVD/BD as separate collections since the spine numbering is different.
I'm collecting a complete set of spine numbers, in the best format, so Blu when available, and I won't be complete until I replace any DVD title with the Blu version if it gets released later. The only DVD titles I would get in addition to the BD is where you have features or material missing, such as The Last Emperor.
Once I have that done (I'm at 41% of the current collection as of today) I'll work on the Laserdiscs which I have about 10% of right now. I may also then get into Eclipse.
So I'll end up with multiples of some things, but since it's not the films I'm collecting it's the spine numbers that makes it easier. Also requires buying the box sets of things like the Cassavettes films because the box itself is a spine #.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
Did you get the Welcome Package with the $50 Worth of coupons yet (assuming a bought membership and not just a trial) -- the $5 off 50 and $8 off $40 can be helpful
especially when they have other coupons available. Trilogy of Life should take the $8 without a problem due to MRSP so $28 with tax in store is pretty strong.
If you have not checked out LASERMOVIES B&N Master Coupon thread (dvdtalk.com) it's essential to knowing what current coupons are available and often when there
are upcoming sales and coupons.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yeah I have a TOL on hold and was going to use the 8 for 40 coupon for sure :)
Hoping there will be another 20% or soemthing I can use for Heaven's Gate next week.
I don't really go to any other boards because they can't live up to the HTF experience but that sounds like a thread to bookmark at least - thanks!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't like sending people to other forums, but that specific thread in unique
Link
BN Master Coupon thread
" next week there are a new 25% and 30% coupon that are supposed to come out November 21. I don't know if there are going to be any store coupons
since the coupon information just mentions B&N.com. Hopefully they will have both types."
Of course there's also the Gift Card deal -- buy $75 GC, get a free $10 card (it won't be activated until 12/26, but there's always the next sale and free
money is always good.
Upcoming expected BN sales
50% Off Cable TV shows I think 11/27-12/3
50% British TV shows 12/4 - 12/10
40% Most Bluray and DVD either 12/11-12/17 or 12/18-12/24.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I ended up stacking the 8 for 40 and 5 for 50 by adding Simon of the Desert and Grey Gardens (both 25 list down to 11.25 with 50% sale and extra 10% in store)
the whole shebang with tax came to $49, down from $130 list
Think I've paid for my membership now lol

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did get one of those Fox discs today and got the review for The Watch up this evening. It can be found here.

I hope to have Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure up tomorrow unless something more urgent arrives.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
I'm treating the LD and DVD/BD as separate collections since the spine numbering is different.
I'm collecting a complete set of spine numbers, in the best format, so Blu when available, and I won't be complete until I replace any DVD title with the Blu version if it gets released later. The only DVD titles I would get in addition to the BD is where you have features or material missing, such as The Last Emperor.
Once I have that done (I'm at 41% of the current collection as of today) I'll work on the Laserdiscs which I have about 10% of right now. I may also then get into Eclipse.
So I'll end up with multiples of some things, but since it's not the films I'm collecting it's the spine numbers that makes it easier. Also requires buying the box sets of things like the Cassavettes films because the box itself is a spine #.
Cool. Like I said, I collect all kinds of stuff and all the Criterions are a pretty impressive collection.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Was in Ralph's buying groceries yesterday, and saw Amazing Spider-Man Blu-ray/DVD combo for $21.99 (with club card), plus coupons for a free bag of chips and something else I cannot remember, but it was around $5-$7 worth of free food items, and the coupons were there with the discs and items at checkout.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny Carson always used to joke about shopping at Ralph's...

Since we don't have that chain on the east coast, it's been that long since I've thought about a Ralph's grocery store.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And it turns out Richard snuck in a review of Bonjour Tristesse while I wasn't looking.

The link to that review is also in the OP.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Ralph's is part of the Kroger family of grocery stores, so they may have the same deal.

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/325110/weekly-roundup-11-13-2012/30#post_4001432
Johnny Carson always used to joke about shopping at Ralph's...

Since we don't have that chain on the east coast, it's been that long since I've thought about a Ralph's grocery store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks