What's new

Weekly RoundUp 10-9-2012 (1 Viewer)

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
The reorganization threw me off guard big time. I had thought they had dropped Blu-rays from their stores until I realized they did. Like many here, my infrequent visits to Best Buy stores just got down to almost never. Whatever happened to usability feedback studies from real world customers?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was all set to buy up to five Blu-rays when I went in yesterday...but after searching the entire department, all I could find worth buying was Prometheus (which I specifically went for) and Fargo (which fell into the category of an inexpensive upgrade--$4.99!).

There were some Criterions there I might have been interested in...but not at those prices. Everything else I either had already or I wasn't interested in.

Slim pickins'.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
My local BB hasn't reorg-ed their BD section (yet?), but they did merge the counters for Geek Squad w/ their regular Customer Service area, so it took a good deal longer to do my U&S today than usual -- I almost gave up waiting on line thinking I could probably do almost as well later w/out this deal for what I was buying, if I just wait some more. Think I'm gonna have to pick a much less busy time to do these U&S deals going forward -- of course, the recent opening of the Barclay Center right across the street doesn't help either.
FWIW, I also recently started shopping GoHastings.com for used titles of interest that I've been holding out for bargain bin prices, but haven't found them for

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Actually, come to think of it, my local BB already did the reorg some months ago that Mike's now seeing at his BB -- well, they did also do some bit more a month or two ago. And yeah, it's been a pain locating all the release week items w/ the way they have it now. I always end up missing checking one of the extra freestanding displays for something I want on my shortlist and waste an extra 15-30min looking all over for stuff -- and still often have to ask someone for something that may or may not actually be missing for the various displays.
Their general customer service seems improved in recent months, except for their new merging of the Geek Squad area w/ regular CS, but yeah, not too crazy about their BD organization although it does (in theory) help them keep the new release and weekly advertised items more visible (for both the customers and their stocking staff). There are pros and cons to this me thinks...
_Man_

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Chas in CT said:
But honestly, I don't know which is better -- a lot of categories, or one simple A-to-Z sort for the whole shebang.
I just know Best Buy's current shenanigans in this respect are pretty bad.  Talk about fixing something that isn't broken.  How about fixing the stuff that is?
I hate categories more than mixing DVD and BD, but I hate that too.
Is As Good As It Gets a comedy or a drama?
Categories are dumb for stores.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/324264/weekly-roundup-10-9-2012/90#post_3988322
I was all set to buy up to five Blu-rays when I went in yesterday...but after searching the entire department, all I could find worth buying was Prometheus (which I specifically went for) and Fargo (which fell into the category of an inexpensive upgrade--$4.99!).

There were some Criterions there I might have been interested in...but not at those prices. Everything else I either had already or I wasn't interested in.

Slim pickins'.

My usual situation exactly! Which is why I browse first, to make sure I don't give them more DVDs than there are Blu-rays on the rack that I will take on that same visit.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Moe Dickstein said:
I hate categories more than mixing DVD and BD, but I hate that too.
Is As Good As It Gets a comedy or a drama?
Categories are dumb for stores.
I like having the mixed DVD and Blu-ray, so I can see what formats are available without needing to go to a different aisle to check. But I agree that the genres are kind of ridiculous. Who gets to decide what film is in what genre? The last BB I was at had reorganized and I saw a number of what I would consider "horror" titles mixed in with the "drama" section. And Sci-Fi and Horror seem like naturals for the same section. I don't know why Sci-Fi is now considered part of Action. That basically means if you're looking for a horror title, and it's not found in the horror section, you also need to check drama and action/sci-fi to see if they've decided it belongs elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks