What's new

Weekly RoundUp 10-31-2006 (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
My old hometown Wal-Mart broke street date with MI3. The single-disc version was 14.99; they also had 2-packs that included Days of Thunder. The signs were the same below those, but I wouldn't think they were the same price, but that's about the only way I'd buy Days of Thunder! :)

Don't know what the 2-dics set was going for.

I didn't even think about it being out early. Maybe due to the fact I'm holding out until I go HD.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
That's a good deal at BB for buy one get one free 2 disc collector's edition sets. Enter the Dragon and Leon the Professional combined for $20 can't be beat.

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator
I'm confused about the M:I "Ultimate Missions Collection". My local Target had what appeared to be a box set containing the three single disc versions of the movies (and the M:I III disc was FULL SCREEN... eewwww) for $24.99, but I did not see a five disc set for that price, or at all for that matter, as indicated in the RoundUp.

I think that $24.99 price at Target is for this aforementioned piece-of-crap boxset and not the "Ultimate Missions Collection". That price, only two dollars more than the 2-disc M:I III alone, for a set also containing the collector's editions of M:I I and M:I II, would seem too good to be true.

Costco had an "Ultimate Missions Collection" in what appeared to be a digipack. There was no indication on the outside of the package how many discs it contained, however. It was marked $34.99. Not bad, either... but I passed.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Just curious--does anyone know if the M:I 3-pack that's on sale at Target for $24.99 is the "Ultimate Missions Collection" version? I ask because that price is $10 lower than what CC is selling it for; also, the picture of the box that the discs come in on Target's flyer is different from the one that's depicted in the Amazon listing...hence making me believe that the Target bundle does not include the M:I III SCE version, but rather the single-disc version--am I wrong in this regard?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I was just in Best Buy to pick up some of the special editions that are on sale, and I noticed Singin' in the Rain is also included in the deal.

James@R

Second Unit
I think the Target "3 Pack" is just a bare-bones collection of the films, much like the bundled Die Hard trilogy BB sells for $20. It's clearly aimed at casual buyers who are only interested in buying the movie itself.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So the Kissology set comes with a bonus DVD containing a partial concert, but it's a different bonus DVD depending on the store. Best Buy has one disc (Cobo Detroit '76 -- a different night is included in the regular set), Walmart has another (Largo, MD '77), and everywhere else has a third disc (MSG '77).

Any thoughts on which is the one to get?

BrandonJF

Second Unit

It was anything but a "box office flop". As part of the Tom Cruise bash-a-thon of 06, the media was somehow able to convince people that Mission:Impossibe III was a bomb. If only every box office flop could make $400 million worldwide.... Did it make what they projected? No. But, was it a "flop"? No.

As far as why it got released on a Monday... that's what you get when you combine the marketing department with alliteration.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Isn't that aggravating? What are dedicated KISS fans supposed to do? Go out and buy all three to get all the material they want?!

I started a thread over in Software/Music a year or so ago (which has been getting some pretty steady interest lately) about retailer-exclusive CD bonuses which are becoming a real PITA for music fans.

In a perfect world, all CD and DVD releaes would be the same so everyone would have the same crack at the material.

In a less-than-perfect world, record and movie companies would release an exclusive to only one retailer so that informed fans would be able to make a smart purchase. This still requires a fair amount of research on the part of fans AND creates a difficulty for those fans to who don't have a particular exclusive-blessed-retailer in their area.

In a screwed-up world, record and movie companies issues releases with exclusives to several different retailers so that fans would have to buy the same release three or four times in order to get all the material they want of their favorite group/movie. THIS is the situation Aaron finds himself in along with an increasing number of fans each week--especially in the music field...but also in the DVD arena.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Paul and Gene, milk the fans? What is the world coming to?!?!?! :D

I wouldn't be surprised if the shows on the bonus discs eventually get released in their entirety (the bonus discs are only partial sets), so I'm not losing any sleep over it. But I totally agree with you.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
The Target set is absolutely not the Ultimate Missions box set. That price should be removed from the round-up. The Target box has the non-anamorphic widescreen disc of Part 1 and the Full-screen version of Part 3. It's not even a bargain at half the price.

-Lyle J.P.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike is hunched over his work station, beginning the research on next week's Weekly RoundUp. He studies his material and gasps,

"Holy Crap! :eek:

This might just be the biggest single RoundUp ever.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator

This is extremely aggravating. I sure as heck am not buying three different copies. Personally, I'm most interested in the Madison Square Garden show, since NY was their hometown. I'd also like to see the 77 show, when I feel they were in their prime.

Wow, I sound like a HUGE Kiss nerd.

Anyways, my brother and I agreed to buy the set at different stores and lend each other the bonus discs. I picked it up today at Circuit City for 16 and change, a pretty sweet deal. There's a sticker on the package touting the non-exclusive, MSG bonus disc. Apparently, the initial pressings will contain the third disc, and subsequent pressings will not.

I guess Wal-Mart's selling it for 24-25 bucks. Not sure what's going on at Best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks