What's new

Weekly RoundUp 10-31-2006 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Weekly RoundUp

The Features

– Jimmy Stewart (It’s a Wonderful Life – 1946)

– Tom Cruise (Mission: Impossible III – 2006)

– Jennifer Love Hewitt (Ghost Whisperer – 2006)

– Johnny Weissmuller as Tarzan

The Prices

SD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoAfrican Queen (Import)$17.99 - $19.99 - - Baywatch: Season 1(10/30)$18.87$19.99$19.99$24.99 - Baywatch: Season 2 (10/30)$18.87$19.99$19.99$24.99 - CSI – Miami: Season 4$45.88$49.99$45.99 - $44.99The Devil’s Rain$12.99$12.99$12.99 - - Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America$18.69$22.99$24.97 - - Ghost Whisperer: Season 1$39.99$39.99$39.99$39.99$41.99The Hitchhiker: Volume 3$26.19$29.99$29.99 - - The Human Factor$11.19$12.99$12.99 - - It’s A Wonderful Life (60th Anniv. Ed.)$13.87$14.99$17.99 - - Johnny Cash in Ireland (1993)$13.49$9.99$12.997 - - Keeping Up with the Steins$19.87$19.99$24.99$19.99 - The Kids in the Hall: Season 5$41.99$59.99$49.99 - - Kiss – Kissology Volume 1 (‘74-‘77)$22.49$17.99$15.99 - - The Making of Miss Saigon$18.69$19.99$17.99 - - Martin & Lewis Collection: Volume 1$37.49$44.99$39.99 - - **Mission: Impossible III (10/30)$14.99$14.99$13.99$15.99 - Mission: Impossible III CE (2-disc) (10/30)$20.78$22.99$22.99$22.99 - M: I - Ultimate Missions Coll. (10/30)$38.87$44.99$34.99 - - Party at the Palms: Season 1$22.49$24.99$24.99 - - Speed Racer: Volume 5$14.99$14.99$15.99$12.99 - Spongebob: Whale of a Birthday$11.99$12.99$12.99$9.99 - Super Mario Bros. SuperShow Vol. 2$26.99$22.99$24.99 - - Tales from the Crypt: Season 5$27.99$29.99$25.99 - - Tarzan Collection: Volume 2$27.85$34.99$34.99 - -

HD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoMission: Impossible III CE (10/30)$24.95$29.99$39.99 - - M: I – Ultimate Missions Coll. (10/30)$69.99$99.99$99.99 - - Excalibur$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - Under Seige$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - V for Vendetta$19.95$24.99$28.99 - -

BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoMission: Impossible III CE (10/30)$27.95$29.99$39.99 - - M: I – Ultimate Missions Coll. (10/30)$69.95$99.99$99.99 - - Phantom of the Opera$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - The Searchers$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - Unforgiven$19.95$24.99$28.99 - - Under Seige$19.95$24.99$28.99 - -

Individual titles included in box sets listed above:

Martin & Lewis Collection: Volume 1: My Friend Irma, My Friend Irma Goes West, That’s My Boy, Sailor Beware, Jumping Jacks, The Caddy, Scared Stiff, Money From Home.

Mission: Impossible – Ultimate Missions Collection: Mission: Impossible, Mission: Impossible II, Mission: Impossible III.

Tarzan Collection: Volume 2: Tarzan and the Amazon, Tarzan and the Huntress, Tarzan and the Leopard Woman, Tarzan and the Mermaids, Tarzan Triumphs, Tarzan’s Desert Mysery.

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

"LP" in the RoundUp table means a store’s Sunday flyer says "Low Price". That means I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, as always, Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

The Specials

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! African Queen is an import and NOT the long-awaited R1 Paramount release. :frowning: But, I figured I’d include it anyway for those tired of waiting. Mission: Impossible III is available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one(s)!

In fact, here is a complete listing of all of this week’s new releases (Monday, 10/20/2006) which include some version of Mission: Impossible III:

--M: I III (WS) (1-disc)
--M: I III (FS) (1-disc)
--M: I III (WS) (2-disc) CE
--M: I III (Blu-Ray) CE
--M: I III (HD-DVD) CE
--M: I Ultimate Missions Collection (3 movies) (5-disc)
--M: I Ultimate Missions Collection (3 movies) (Blu-Ray)
--M: I Ultimate Missions Collection (3 movies) (HD-DVD)

--Well, HD prices seem to be settling out a bit. At least there is developing a pattern (or some consistency) in pricing patterns at the major retailers. They certainly have been all over the place in prior weeks.

--Amazon.com is still having a special offer on Blu-Ray & HD-DVD discs: Save an additional 10% on all of your Blu-ray & HD-DVD Disc purchases for the next year. Purchase three Blu-ray or HD-DVD Discs right now, and you'll automatically qualify to receive an additional 10% off all of your high-definition DVD purchases for one year. To receive a 10% discount on your three high-def Discs upon checkout, use this claim code: HDDISC10. Go HERE for details.

--Some confusion again at Best Buy on a title this week. Flyers list the B&M price on Tales from the Crypt: Season 5 at $29.99, but bestbuy.com is listing $22.99.

--Also, while some sources list this as the release week for Hardcastle & McCormick: Season 1, the majority seem to have it for November 14.

--Best Buy has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DVD on-pack with its copies of Mission: Impossible III (BOTH 1-disc and 2-disc CE releases!). Includes interviews and behind-the-scenes features.

--Best Buy is also offering a 2/$20 or 2/$25 deal involving Mission: Impossible III. Buy M: I III and any of the following DVDs: Collateral, Days of Thunder, Face/Off, Minority Report. The Sum of All Fears or Top Gun CE ($9.99 apiece) and get them both for $20. Or, get them both for $25 with M: I III CE (2-disc). Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Best Buy is offering another deal this week with the purchase of BOTH Over the Hedge ($19.99) and one of a number of other titles: Antz, Charlotte’s Web, Charlotte’s Web 2, Chicken Run, Madagascar, Rugrats Go Wild, Shark Tale, Shrek, Shrek 2, Spirit, Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Wild Thornberrys Movie (all $9.99 apiece). Buy Over the Hedge and one of those other films and receive a FREE TICKET to see FLUSHED AWAY. Ticket value = $12.00. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Best Buy also has four week promotion going on involving Spongebob Squarepants. You can get a new FREE SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS CHARACTER PLUSH TOY each week with the purchase of ANY Nickelodean DVD:

*Mr. Krabs (10-31 thru 11-01)
*Spongebob Squarepants (11-5 thru 11-11)
*Gary the Sea Snail (11-12 thru 11-18)
*Patrick Star (11-19 thru 11-25)

--I’m not sure I understand this promotional tie-in…but fans of Baywatch who buy either season 1 or 2 of that show at Best Buy this week get a FREE 1-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION TO MAXIM MAGAZINE.

--Best Buy has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DVD on its copies of Kiss: Kissology Volume 1 (1974-1977).

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: BB is advertising two Disney Treasures (MM in B&W: Vol 2 and Complete DD: Vol. 2) for $24.99 apiece. And, Tales from the Crypt: Seasons 1-4 are priced at $19.99 apiece this week. Also, check your flyer for a “Buy One, Get One Free” sale on a number of popular SEs or CEs ($19.99 apiece).

--Very few specials this week at Circuit City.

--Circuit City has a price of $19.99 apiece on Seasons 1-4 of Tales from the Crypt. It also has a price of $34.99 each on Seasons 1-3 of CSI: Miami.

--Circuit City also has a price of $6.99 on the following titles: Collateral, Days of Thunder, The Firm, Top Gun CE, Vanilla Sky.

--As part of M: I III-Mania, Target is advertising that it will be opening its doors at Eight AM Monday morning for those who need to ge their M: I fix before the start of the work week! ;)

--Target has brought back its popular FREE $5 GIFTCARD with the following TV sets this week: Baywatch: Season 1, Baywatch: Season 2, Ghost Whisperer: Season 1

--Target is advertising the low price of $15.99 on the following recent releases: Click SE, Monster House, Nacho Libre, Over the Hedge, X-Men III: The Last Stand. Quantities limited. No rainchecks.

The Markdowns

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: October 31, 2006 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

Universal

$14.98 - Noel

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Haven't seen the ad yet, but here's a little FYI...Target ALWAYS opens at 8am on Mondays (at least in the Central and Mountain time zones), even when there is not M:I new release!

Tale From the Crypt 5 for me...that's probably it for me this week.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
Just Under Siege & V For Vendetta HD DVD for me this week. I already picked up the Ultimate Missions Collection on HD DVD.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift $13.99
Vanilla Sky $6.99
The Firm $6.99
Top Gun: Special Collector’s Edition $6.99
Day of Thunder $6.99
Collateral $6.99
War Of The Worlds (2005) $9.99
Over The Hedge $17.99
Akeellah & The Bee $17.99
Nacho Libre $19.99
X-Men 3: The Last Stand $19.99

2 For $10:
Spy Game: Collector’s Edition
Jacob’s Ladder
The Bone Collector
Gia
Born On The Fourth Of July: Special Edition
The General’s Daughter
Natural Born Killers: Director’s Cut
Patch Adams
The Wood
The Color Of Money
Intolerable Cruelty
The Best Man
FEAR
Big Trouble In Little China
Double Jeopardy
The Hot Chick
The Brothers
Blue Crush
For Love Of The Game
Harlem Nights
Private Parts
Juice
Scent Of A Woman
What Dreams May Come
Enemy At The Gates
The Jackal
Enter The Dragon: Special Edition
Crooklyn
The Tuskegee Airmen
Red Dragon

DVD Sets
The O.C. : Season 3 $45.99
C.S.I.: Miami : Season 1 / 2 / 3 $34.99 each
Tales From The Crypt: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 $19.99 each

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

The Polar Express $12.99
Mission Impossible $14.99
Johnny Cash: In Ireland $9.99
Barry Manilow: First & Farewell $11.99

M:I:III (Mission Impossible 3) $14.99 Available 10/30/06
Best Buy Exclusive: Free Bonus DVD with purchase of M:I:3. Bonus DVD includes interviews and behind the scenes features. Over 60 minutes in total content.

Buy M:I:3 Regular Edition and one of the 6 DVDs listed below (@$9.99)and get both DVDs for $20. Must be purchased on the same receipt.
The Sum of All Fears
Minority Report
Face/Off
Days Of Thunder
Collateral
Top Gun: Collector’s Edition

M:I:III (Mission Impossible 3):2-disc Collector’s Edition $22.99. Available 10/30/06
Best Buy Exclusive: Free Bonus DVD with purchase of M:I:3 Collector’s Edition. Bonus DVD includes interviews and behind the scenes features. Over 60 minutes in total content.

Buy M:I:3 2-disc Collector’s Edition and one of the 6 Movies listed below (@$9.99) and get both DVDs for $25. Must be purchased on the same receipt.
The Sum of All Fears
Minority Report
Face/Off
Days Of Thunder
Collateral
Top Gun: Collector’s Edition

Avatar: The Last Airbender – Book I / Volume V: Water $12.99
Zoey: Spring Break Up 101 $12.99

Free Spongebob Squarepants Beanie Baby Plush character instantly with the purchase of ANY Nickelodeon DVD // A New character available every weekBuy any of the 3 marked movies along with An American Haunting on the same receipt and get both DVDs for $20.
Mr. Krabs (Available 10/31/06 – 11/4/06 // Minimum 12 per store)
Spongebob Squarepants (Available 11/5/06 – 11/11/06)
Gary the Sea Snail (Available 11/12/06 – 11/18/06)
Patrick Star (Available 11/19/06 – 11/25/06)

More details on this deal: Buy the plush by itself for $6.99; $1 of which goes to Toys For Teens. Buy 1 DVD and get the plush for FREE and $2 goes to Toys For Teens. Buy 2 DVDs, get the plush for FREE and $5 goes to Toys For Teens. Buy 3 DVDs, get the plush for FREE and $7 goes to Toys For Teens. Offer applies ONLY to Nickelodeon branded DVDs. Free Beanie Baby characters available while supplies last.

---

Over The Hedge $19.99

Buy one get one Collector's / Special Edition free - all listed setes are $19.99 each. DVDs Must Be Purchased On Same Receipt:

Million Dollar Baby
Black Hawk Down (3-disc Deluxe Set)
JFK: Special Edition
Dr. Strangelove: 40th Anniversary Special Edition
The Color Purple: Special Edition
Magnolia: Platinum Series
DOGMA: Special Edition
Boogie Nights
Gothika: Special Edition
True Romance: Special Edition
Constantine: Deluxe Edition
The Outsiders: Special Edition
The Right Stuff: Special Edition
HEAT: Special Edition
One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest: Special Edition
Purple Rain: Special Edition
Enter The Dragon: Special Edition (Red Cover)
Memento: Special Edition
Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves Special Edition
Rebel Without A Cause: Special Edition
Stand By Me 2 Disc Deluxe Edition
Once Upon A Time In America
Mystic River: 3-Disc Deluxe Edition
Bullitt: Special Edition
The Lost Boys: Special Edition
Se7en: Platinum Series
Boyz In The Hood: Anniversary Edition
The Shawshank Redemption: 2 DVD Special Edition
Leon The Professional: Deluxe Edition
The Fifth Element (old version show, but it's most likely the Ultimate Edition)

Blu-Ray Discs:

$24.99 BR Discs:
Full Metal Jacket
Terminator 2
Four Brothers

$27.99 BR Discs:
The Lake House

$29.99 BR Discs:
Monster House
Gone In 60 Seconds
Underworld: Evolution
M:I:III (Mission Impossible 3)

Get 2 Free Blu-Ray movies instantly when you buy a Samsung High Definition Blu-Ray Player for $999.99. Player Model is BD-P1000. Player and free movies must be on same RECEIPT

DVD Sets:
Disney Treasures: The Complete Donald Duck: Volume II (Shown) $24.99
Disney Treasures: Mickey Mouse In Black & White: Volume II (Shown) $24.99
Mike Tyson: 2 Disc Knockout Edition $24.99
Tales From The Crypt: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 $19.99 each

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

X-Men 3: The Last Stand $15.99
Click: Special Edition Low Price ($15.99)
Nacho Libre Low Price ($15.99)

$10.00 each:
Napoleon Dynamite (1st Pressing)
The Notebook

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks as usual.

I'll probably get It's a Wonderful Life (depending of course on improved picture quality).

I'll probably stick with my ld version of The African Queen, unless I read some stunning review of the import. At least it won't have PAL speedup, so I'd consider it.

This was the week that Scrooged was supposed to come out. Very disappointing that it disappeared. :frowning:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
devil's rain?

is that justa price drop.

its been out for awhile now already

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thanks as always Mike & Patrick for the Weekly RoundUp - especially all of your research and preparation with compiling and posting all of the Special Deals, Combo Deals, Exclusive Deals, Gifts With Purchase Deals, etc., etc, etc., for each specific retailer. Your efforts are truly appreciated. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

MI: 3 for me though I don't think that I'll spend the extra for the CE.
I'm also considering The African Queen and a double-dip on It's a Wonderful Life.

Regarding Target's hours - it's the same here (in Southern California) that Eric posted: 8am opening on Mondays. Every Target that I've been to has the same hours 7 days a week: 8am - 10pm (except that the hours are expanded after Thanksgiving through Christmas).

EDIT
Oops - my wife just corrected me on Target's Sunday operating hours: 8am - 9pm. Thanks Hon!

Kevin_Lodge

Stunt Coordinator
For those who can't wait until 8am tomorrow to pick up MI3 -- I was at Walmart yesterday and they were passing out a flyer stating that all Walmarts would be selling MI3 starting at 6pm Sunday. Unfortunately there was no price point listed on the flyer.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
V For Vendetta on HD DVD for me. I have the HD DVD set of the M:I flicks en route from Target.com.

As always, thanks for the update!

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Borders will begin selling M:I-III on Sunday at 6:00 p.m. local time as well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why are they all treating this like it's THE event DVD release of the year? It was such a box office flop, I don't know why they think everyone wants to have it ASAP.

And if they're already breaking traditional street date by releasing on Monday, what's with the need to sell on Sunday? Why aren't Tuesday releases sold starting at 6pm on Mondays?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
because some people want it NOW..

when i foound out target was selling hd dvds a week early.
i bought Batman and polar eexpress even thpough i had it on order from amazon.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Tarzan Vol 2 for me. Those RKO films are a lot of fun, and I'm escatic that Warners is releasing them. My copy is in transist from Lasers Edge.

If Costco can deliver a good price on Martin/Lewis I may give that a whirl. I particularly find That's My Boy hilarious.

I was fortunate enough to see STEINS in the theater and while not a purchase for me, I would encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to at least rent it. It's one of those wonderful character driven stories that Hollywood makes too few of these days.

Steve

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Possibly "It's a Wonderful Life" (never seen it)..."Robin Hood" is just calling my name...and something else to get that B1G1 offer on the SE's. Dang, and this was an off week too!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up:

Mission: Impossible III
Tales From The Crypt: Season Five

Thanks for the prices! :)

Because it will be one of the biggest DVD releases of the year. No matter how good or bad or it is and no matter how much it made in the theater (and while it didn't make what it was 'supposed' to, it's still the 10th grossing movie of the year and managed to do that with Tom Cruise at the height of his overexposure and wacky behavior), it's the type of movie that will sell millions in the first week. Most importantly, it was a cool movie purely due to J.J. Abrams being at the helm.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh. I took advantage of Target's price of $15.99 on Over the Hedge today.

This is a peculiar blind buy for me. I stay away from most feature animation that is non-Disney and non-Pixar. Although I liked Shrek, too.

Anyway, I thought the ads looked pretty bad for this...but then I read a thread over in Software in which everyone was raving about this DVD...and not just the PQ & SQ (although none other than Ron Epstein himself called it the "new reference disk")...but also the film itself. Both people who saw it in the theater and those who missed it are saying they are enjoying the feature immensely, so....I thought I'd give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread