What's new

Weekly Roundup 10/29 (and 11/1 for our friendly neighborhood, well..you know!) (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
:angry: Nobody is stocking Mysterious Island around here! I went to TWO Circuit Cities (Sacramento and San Jose) and they hadn't even ordered them. Local Best Buy hadn't received them yet. I walked into Costco as they are across the parking lot from CC, and no dice there either. Is Mysterious Island really some oddball film that nobody wants? It's the only thing I'm interested in this week. Looks like I'll just have to order it online..... :angry:

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Is Mysterious Island really some oddball film that nobody wants?
No it isn't. But the major retailers treat it like so. If it won't sell 500 bazillion copies on the first day like "Monsters or LOTR, that won't stock it. Best Buy & Circuit City are the worst for stocking back catalog titles. As I stated before, the best way to get back catalog titles for me is to preorder online. I preordered mine from DVD Planet and recieved it yesterday.

In other news picked up "Sum Of All Fears" at Circuit City with a price match. $15.79...not bad. I like this price matching stuff.

Happy Hunting,

Joe

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
In relation to all these TSC:SE full-screen troubles, did anyone happen to catch the new Wal-mart ad (Oct30 - Nov5)? I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had the widescreen versions of both Spiderman and AOTC on the cover. I was even more surprised to see that inside of the ad SoAF was also the widescreen version. TSC:SE was also listed but I do not remember which version it was.
Is Wal-mart finally starting to see the light or are the ad pictures determined by the studios?
Chris S.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You see, despite the talk around here, by-and-large my local Wal-Mart usually stocks the Wide versions of any duo-release title. There have indeed been exceptions, but fewer than most people indicate.

I knew I could count on them to have the Wide version of Santa Clause when Target and Circuit City did not...and I was right! I've also been told that many (or all?) Best Buys failed to have the wide version as well. A coworker already told me this morning they "had to settle for the fullscreen copy". I told them to return it and go to Wal-Mart, where I got my wide copy.

Sum of All Fears is only available in Wide, so that's a no-brainer. But I get the feeling I'll be at Wally World for both Spidey and for Lucas' latest. I have no worries that the wide versions will be there.

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
"But I get the feeling I'll be at Wally World for both Spidey and for Lucas' latest. I have no worries that the wide versions will be there."

Prob go to Walmart on Friday to get Spidey, especially given the fact that they had the Limited Edition box out and said will be aviable on Friday, CC has a habit like ppl say of not stocking box sets on the first day. Will pick up Sum of All Fears and Spiderman on Friday

Chris

"BCS- Big Crock of Shit!"-Miami Hurricane Fan

Rodon

Second Unit
Does Walmart release movies at midnight? 12:01am on Friday for Spiderman? I sometimes shop late at night anyway.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike,

Actually Fluffy Pumpkin is so big you would think that Captain Nemo got to his parents! He's interested in a giant chicken and a giant crab to satisfy his hunger.....

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
David--you're right, TSC-SE WS does have the movie voucher; didn't see the Concession Cash voucher though, although I didn't look real thoroughly. Is the Concession voucher part of or attached to the Movie voucher or is it a separate piece of paper? AFAICT the only stuff inside the case, other than the movie and chapter liner, was the movie voucher and a Disney coupon booklet ($5 off for previous TSC owners, buy 3 get one free, etc.)...:frowning:
Anyways, I wound up buying TSC at Best Buy only because on one at my local WallyMart could correctly direct me to, let alone exactly knew, where I could find copies (either WS or FS--not that I was looking to buy FS) of it. If they had it, they must have put them in some other department 'cuz not one copy was to be found in the Video section or near the front of the store (where the registers are, and immediately when you walk into the store proper).

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I gotta add one thing regarding my Best Buy price-matching experience--someone else had mentioned that Best Buy also refunds 10% of the difference, a la CC. I had not known about that and really didn't give it much thought; however, when I went to pick up TSC-SE at Best Buy, I asked the cashier to price-match against Target, which she did. While waiting for her to process it, I looked that the big board that lists the various BB purchase policies and sure enough, included among them was the 10% difference guarantee. Upon getting a receipt for the pricematch difference ($5) I noticed that she didn't take off the additional 10%, which comes out to an additional 50 cents + tax...so I pointed that out to her. After she had conferred with a fellow employee, who I assume had experience in such matters, she rang up the 10% difference. Expecting to get back 50-someodd cents, instead I got back $1.60 ($1.50 + tax)! She must have got confused and took 10% off the competing ($14.99) price instead!
Anyway, I didn't point out this "mistake" to her; now, some of you may say I should have done so instead of pocketing the extra cash. Perhaps, but in all fairness to myself I have done more than a few DVD movie price-matching at BB and not once did I get the 10% difference credited to me, so I see this "gift" as a consolation for all those other 10% pricematches I should have received.
The point of this reply? If you go to Best Buy to pricematch, make sure (insist if necessary--it's stated on the big board they have on the wall next to the return/exchange line) they also give you the 10%! Sure, it's only what, 50 cents on a $5 difference but still...:D

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well shoot, Fry's didn't have Mysterious Island either.
These guys have ordered copies:
Best Buy
Frys
These guys didn't even order any:
Circuit City
Costco
I ordered from DVDEmpire....to heck with these turkeys. :rolleyes

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Ready for this one... At work today, Circuit City, we got our Spider-Mans in.

Get this...

1500 copies!!! THE MOST FOR ANY MOVIE OR CD EVER!!!

On a good note, only 400 of those are P&S!
And we got 40 Gift Sets!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Let me tell ya: 400 something is HOLY CRAP, that's a lot.

Last year when we got the POTA remake, we got 800 something and they just didn't sell that well. We got 800 something LOTR and they sold just fine. This 1500 though is simply unheard of!!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
the Concession voucher part of or attached to the Movie voucher or is it a separate piece of paper?
It's separate. It looks EXACTLY like the ticket voucher, and there is also an external sticker on the right lower corner telling you it should be in there.

I didn't see this on any other chain's copies, FF or WS. Perhaps it is a WM exclusive?...

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Does anyone know if any Walmarts are pricematching Target on TSC? The Walmart in Pittsfield, MA says no Target close enough. Went to Target in Holyoke, MA earlier and they had no WS:angry: . Also, our local Best Buy does not have any of the Veggie Tales titles. What gives?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks