What's new

Weekly RoundUp 1/25/05 (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
How odd that Costco's price on Warner Gangsters changes around the country. Here it's $41.99. Only a dollar but still different.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Members are saying in other threads that the actual price for Warner's Gangster Collection is $64.99 at Best Buy. Is the Best Buy price listed here wrong?

Crawdaddy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Robert: I'd say if others are reporting a B&M price of $64.99 at Best Buy that this is simply one of those instances when there is a huge discrepancy between BB's pricing on-line and B&M. Its rare, but it happens.

bestbuy.com/Warner's Gangsters Collection

History also tells us that BB also will NOT pricematch its own on-line price in-store. Although, YMMV.

FWIW, when Best Buy or Circuit City do not advertise a title in its Sunday flyer, I post their dot-com price from their website (that's from paragraph #1 of the ol' standard disclaimer). Usually they are close, if not the same.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Which is patently absurd, considering that you can order things from their website for in-store pickup!

(I did that with the recent Dream Theater concert DVD -- it was $10 on BestBuy.com and something like $23 on the shelf!)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Heh, I see everyone ignored my praise for Mean Creek. Suit yourselves, you're missing a great film.

Heres some more news for you guys to ignore, be forewarned about Alien vs Predator that there is a much more elaborate 2 disc special edition coming out in R2 and R3 in March. Most of these extras are not on the single disc R1 release that just came out, so be on the lookout for a more elaborate SE in the next couple months on this title. For those of you who did like the film and hate double dipping, you might want to hold off on this title.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
MikeEckman:
I plan on renting Mean Creek for sure. I saw a pretty intense (if too long) trailer that piqued my interest.
Despite my better judgment I went for the current AvP--it was just too shiny and sexy! Plus I bet a SE won't have a Fox Superbowl ad, or a promo for 'American Dad', or 2-minute 'Inside Looks' at other movies I have no interest in...yes, I do feel a little burned.
As always, many thanks for the round-up guys!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I also am renting Mean Creek based on alot of positive buzz about it...

Some Target prices not listed in the flyer this week:
Soap: $24.99
Married W/Children: $29.99
Mean Creek: $19.99
The Wire: $74.99
Benny Hill: $39.99 (didn't write it down, so don't quote me on that...)
Crying Game: $14.99
The Wall SE: $18.99 (merchandised with the Best Seller Rock CDs)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

so? why is that in the weekly round up?

if anyone is interested best buy is giving a 7" vinyl single of another brick in the wall pt II, live with copies of the new version of the wall(the movie).

13.99 after a price match from CC.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
Strangely enough, my experiences from yesterday...

The employees at Best Buy gave me the white vinyl edition of Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. II with my purchase of (not The Wall) Some Kind of Monster, the Metallica doc...

Then, at the register, it was not 29.99, but 19.99, and the gentleman working the register gave me a bonus $5 gift card with the purchase of SKOMonster too... Hmmmmm....

Then the Warner Gangster set wouldn't come up as anything other than $64.99, so I checked CostCo later and yup, $40.99 there instead...

Also a good deal on a great doc at CostCo too, Ken Burn's Unforgivable Blackness for $14.99

So, summing up, one great deal and one cruddy one at BBuy and two excellent purchases from CostCo... Happy shopping...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Perserverance pays off as I went back to Wal-Mart and finally nabbed a copy of Sky Captain in widescreen with the bonus disc. They had replenished the entire Sky captain DVD display, and out of the 100 or so copies, about 30 were widescreen, and only 3 were widescreen with the bonus disc. All of the fullscreen copies had the bonus disc. Damn, how sad is that? At least it was $14.99 this week.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick:

Is Sky Captain a blind buy for you? Or, did you see the film in the theater?

Curious what you think of the flick. I haven't seen it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Ooops. Just saw your above quote in the official thread as you responded to Jack Briggs who was asking the same question. Anything else to add?

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
None of the Best Buy stores in my entire district (at least a dozen, from the list I saw on the blue shirt's computer screen today) got any copies of October Sky: SE. Bummer. Didn't find it at Costco, either.

Fortunately for me, it looks like their regular price for this title is $9.99, so I'll just hold off and use my RZ certs in a week or two to pick this up.

Dave

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

TonyD (or anyone that knows):

Was that an advertised price? Picked up The Wall and the single (I was hoping for a picture sleeve, but it's still cool) today for $17.99, but would run by there tomorrow for the price difference... CC is right next door to my BB!!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sky Captain is a very stylized experiment with CGI and a love for the old serials from the world of the 1940s, so it's a visual/auditory feast, but the story isn't the greatest, and the acting is more on the campy side (evoking the style from that time period). Thus, it's a recommended rental if you like eye candy without the expectations of a great involving story. Some people don't like the overuse of sepia tones to evoke the look from the old serials, but it gives the film that surreal edge of its own little world.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the wall was advert in the cd section of the CC ad for 13.99

Users who are viewing this thread