1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Webcam with software other than IM applications?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Andres Munoz, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Screenwriter

Hi guys. My wife gave birth to our first child (son) 3 weeks ago. After 2 weeks of bliss at home, I had to come back to work this week. [​IMG]

I was thinking about buying a webcam and coming up with a way to watch my kid from the office.

At first, I turned to a video conversation using MSN Messenger which the company installs on all PCs. But the video conversation feature is disabled and there's no way to get around it. Other IM applications might also be out of the question.

Do you guys know of another, easy way for me to watch my son from the office, using my el-cheapo webcam? Some form of live streaming or something?

Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

3. Andres Munoz

Chris, if you read my original post, it says that I cannot use any of the IM applications (MSN, Yahoo, AOL, etc) because the video conversation feature is disabled here at work. Only text works.

Thanks anyway.

4. ChrisLazarko

heh i'm sorry I didn't read it clearly.

Anyways that just means the port on your network is blocked. Best bet is try google and see if you can find out if the webcam playback can be fowarded to another port that is open on your works network.

5. Andres Munoz

Where would the port forwarding be done from? The webcam software? MSN Messenger?

6. ChrisLazarko

No it would be done by whoever your network manager is. The port fowarding is in the router settings which is controlled by someone in networking.

7. Andres Munoz

Oh OK. Well, that's not going to be possible then. Thank you for your help.