What's new

We need more MGM musicals!! (1 Viewer)

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
While making my way through the Busby Berkely set, I was watching the documentary track on Dames (I think that's the one I was watching). At the end, it listed other titles available from Warner Home Video. One of the titles listed was "Million Dollar Mermaid." So maybe there's hope for more Esther Williams on DVD soon.

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
Small Town Girl has the amazing, justly famous "I've Gotta Hear That Beat" Miller showstopper, and "Take Me to Broadway," Bobby Van's non-stop hop across town, while Two Weeks With Love features Debbie Reynolds screen breakthrough, dueting with Carleton Carpenter on "Aba Daba Honeymoon" (which became a substantial hit). A Jane Powell twofer disc with these titles would make me happy enough to do some hopping of my own.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I am pretty sure that George Feltenstein thinks a lot of SUMMER HOLIDAY, hence the Laserdisc Release and the fairly recent Rhino Soundtrack CD.

There is a wealth of deleted material available for any DVD Release, albeit mainly Audio only.

I rate Harry Warren's Score for SUMMER HOLIDAY as among the best ever.
Certainly, "Spring isn't Everything" must rate as the most beautiful song ever deleted from a movie.

The Movie is indeed a neglected Masterpiece.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
YES, we need more MGM musicals! Many of the titles mentioned are neglected by TCM as well... of course I'd rather buy them on DVD anyway. But the regular rotation of only "major" musicals like Singin' In The Rain, Meet Me In St. Louis, etc, on TCM, makes me fear the lesser known musicals aren't a high priority for Warner Bros.. and might never be released. :/ I hope I'm wrong.

I'd buy Esther Williams, Eleanor Powell, and MacDonald/Eddy boxsets in a heartbeat - even though I'm not a huge fan of those stars. Hope all of Judy Garland's movies, no matter how obscure, make it to DVD. I completely agree that Jane Powell deserves a boxset... you'd think Robert Osborne's friendship with her would help make it happen, but I somehow doubt she's gonna get one. Two Weeks With Love is delightful and I LOVE A Date With Judy! Thousands Cheer is another not-considered-as-classic-but-I-don't-care - favorite of mine. I dare anyone to watch Thousands Cheer and not fall in love with Kathryn Grayson - and she and Gene Kelly had great chemistry.

Aw heck, I'd buy just about every single MGM musical ever made - no sense listing them all. ;)

Oh, one last thought...it would be nice to see a collection of MGM's Broadway Melody series (and maybe include other early, historically interesting musicals like Hollywood Revue of 1929)... as a sort of companion to Warner's Busby Berkeley box (although it's a shame they didn't include all the Gold Diggers movies in there). Weren't the Broadway Melody of... and Gold Diggers of... series competing against eachother at the time? I hope Warners will bury the hatchet... and not bury the movies. ;)

P.S. I'd also love to see a June Allyson collection...she deserves it (although it would've been better to have released it while she was alive, so she could enjoy the tribute...and contribute commentaries or other extras.) But, better late than never. And I wouldn't mind upgrading Good News from snapper to keepcase...nope, wouldn't mind at all (and that goes for every MGM musical released in a snapper).

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator

I LOVE this idea and totally support the thought of having all the Broadway Melody films on one set. Besides, that will also help bring some of Eleanor Powell films to DVD.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
"Deep In My Heart" (1954) needs to have the stereo/wide screen treatment that was given it via laser disc (The MGM Composers Collection).

It has some of the most amazing musical arrangements and performances of any MGM musical with a big plus of it's being made toward the end of the MGM musical era showcasing the roster of stars at their most mature (in MGM musical terms).

Turner has not shown (I believe) it in quite a long time. I don't know why.

Re: "Holiday In Mexico": Turner Classics has the coming attraction which includes, it appears, the ending of the film (Jane Powell, chorus and that magnificent MGM studio orchestra)...a wonderful moment (even if it might not be the ending).

AND, how about everything in high definition with the best sound possible!

Corey

Screenwriter

yeah that would be an awesome idea. i could get rid of the snapper version of broadway melody of '40. it could include:

-hollywood revue of 1929
-broadway melody of 1936
-broadway melody of 1938
-broadway melody of 1940 (in keepcase)
-broadway rhythm (was originally supposed to be broadway melody of 1944)

Corey

Screenwriter

yeah the fact that TCM doesn't even show a lot of these movies upsets me. i was pleasantly surprised to see i dood it and holiday in mexico in the coming attractions on their website, but they never show small town girl, hit the deck, two girls and a sailor, broadway rhythm, or esther williams movies besides bathing beauty or million dollar mermaid.

Corey

Screenwriter
glad we're getting more june allyson with the releases of the stratton story and best foot forward and to have excutive suite next year, but her own set would be so delightful and sunny (just like her).

-two girls and a sailor
-high barbaree
-her highness and the bellboy
-the opposite sex (please, finally!!)
-two sisters from boston

I would mention The Three Musketeers, but I think we'll be seeing it next year. Whats so cool is that WB knows there are alot of titles people still want, so they're holding back. This year won't be nothing like all those glorious films and sets we'll be getting. My mouth is just watering. Just imagine: An American in Paris SE, Crawford V2, B Davis V3, Loy & Powell, The Clock, Garland & Rooney, Glenn Ford, Show Boat, Norma Shearer, Lon Chaney V2, Esther Williams, Jean Harlow, Burt Lancaster, Errol Flynn V2, most likely Film Noir V5 & 6, etc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
How about a Mario Lanza box? THAT MIDNIGHT KISS is being shown on TCM near the end of July, and THE TOAST OF NEW ORLEANS is coming in early September (DVD burner will be working overtime.)

But his few films would look and sound glorious on DVD.

Corey

Screenwriter

i think we'll get the toast of new orleans, but i think asking for a mario lanza set is asking too much.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Kathryn Grayson made a *lot* more movies, but I doubt she'll be getting a box...so Mario Lanza? No way. Although WB could include the movies they made together in a Grayson box. :) But I guess we'll be lucky if they're released at all. Hey! Screen-team films like theirs might be perfect for that double-feature DVD idea Charles H mentioned upthread!

Corey - I like your suggested titles for a June Allyson set... and there's so many more films of hers I've never seen. TCM's running some tomorrow, because of her passing, but I wish they'd devote a whole day to her - or better yet, make her Star of the Month sometime.

Anyway, I realize some people don't want to double-dip, but if Warner decided they had to include June's most famous movies to make sure the box sells, I wouldn't mind. I'd welcome the chance to get keepcase-repackagings of Little Women and Good News... (and of the Judy Garland Signature collection, while I'm dreaming). :) Hey, if they can re-release all those Humphrey Bogart films in Amarays...! I'm buying them all over again, btw, despite not love-love-loving Bogart...so, if I'll do that for someone who's not even one of my favorite stars, just 'cause I love-love-love Amarays so much - think of all the money you can make off suckers like me, WB. ;)

My wish-list for a Jane Powell set (not that I don't want all her films):

- A Date With Judy (if it's released in a Liz Taylor set, I'll be peeved - it's Jane's movie!)
- Two Weeks With Love
- Royal Wedding (unless it's intended for a Fred Astaire box...hint hint :))
- Small Town Girl
- Athena
- Hit The Deck

Corey

Screenwriter

jane powell would be the perfect person for a double feature set. include 12 films on 6 discs and just get her movies out the way, so we can move on to the next star. i think they should do this for all the 2nd tier staras from mgm if they have a lot of movies i.e. june allyson, kathryn grayson, jane powell. even some of esther williams' movies can be done like this. why not partner easy to love with easy to wed or on an island with you and pagan love song? makes perfect sence. WB should do the movies that these stars partnered up with a lot into a set. like doing all the films joan crawford did with clark gable would've made more since, so when it comes to her own set we could just focus on all the ones w/out him and it gives us a chance to see the lesser known titles? i'm sure we haven't seen laughing sinners, dance fools dance, or love on the run in ages unless we have the vhs, because tcm never shows them.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I recently recorded BROADWAY RHYTHM to DVD after TCM ran a very nice looking print here in Australia recently.
BR is certainly a very minor, if nicely Colored, MGM Musical.

Unfortunately, unlike the U.S.A, TCM Australia run their ugly Watermark 100% of the time.

Richard M S

Screenwriter

Well the Astaire/ Rogers films were the best of RKO and the Busby Berkely films were the best of Warners but the MGM musicals were a breed apart from what other studios were producing at the time. As you can see from this thread, even the most minor MGM film musicals have devoted followings. So I applaud the idea of double feature DVDs, and I agree such a release for more MGM musicals would be terriifc.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah...what Edward Weinman said! June Allyson and Jane Powell aren't 2nd tier stars to *me*. Hmmph.

I'll take double feature DVDs of their movies if that's the only way, but I believe they deserve boxsets. (Hey, if Ronald Reagan can get one! I don't care if he's a famous name - he *wasn't* famous for his *acting*, and didn't exactly carry the films released in that box... he was a supporting player, sheesh) Okay, sorry if I've offended fans of his.

Anyway, I do agree with you, Corey, about combining movies that Clark Gable made with Joan Crawford, (or with Jean Harlow, etc) - I'd rather they be organized that way. But I'm guessing WB want to spread out the screen teams' films so we'll buy multiple boxsets (ie: Joan Crawford fans will have to buy Joan's *and* Clark's boxsets to get the movies they made together (plus others they may not be interested in), spending more money than they would if all the Joan&Clark films were gathered in one convenient collection.

Sorry for straying from the musical topic!

Maybe a Debbie Reynolds boxset, if she's considered a more "commercial", 1st tier star? We could still get some Jane Powell movies on DVD that way...

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Folks, I believe that Jane Powell does not need an associate commercial vehicle...she can jolly well stand on her own two feet (no slant intended, Chris).

She was a wonderful star at MGM and many of us rue the fact that her voice and talents were not utilized in film after the late 50's.

The talents that be at Warner Bros. have to realize that her contributions to the MGM musical film library are vast, important and vital. Her vocal gifts, beauty and charm must count for something in this violent world that would make many long for her appearance in the DVD medium.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks