What's new

We need more MGM musicals!! (1 Viewer)

Corey

Screenwriter
Eleanor Powell
-Born to Dance
-Rosalie
-Broadway Melody of 1936 & 1938 (could be a 2 disc SE)
-Ship Ahoy
-Lady Be Good
-Honolulu w/ that great tribute to Bojangles Robinson

The Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald operettas
-Rose Marie w/ 1954 version
-The Naught Marrietta
-Sweethearts
-I Married An Angel
-The Girl From the Golden West
-New Moon
-Maytime
-Bitter Sweet
...plus Jeanette in The Cat and the Fiddle and The Merry Widow

The Revue Musicals
-Words and Music
-Hollywood Revue of 1929
-Broadway Rhythm
-Thousands Cheer
- I Dood It

Esther Williams' Splashy Musicals
-Bathing Beauty
-Neptune's Daughter
-Millin Dollar Mermaid
-Jupiter's Darling
-This Time For Keeps
-On An Island With You
-Easy to Love
-Dangerous When Wet

Arthur Freed
-Yolanda and the Thief
-Royal Wedding
-Kismet (1944 & 1955)
-The Pirate
-Pagan Love Song

Frank Sinatra (please let 2 at least be in his set for 2007)
-Step Lively
-The Kissing Bandit
-It Happened In Brooklyn

Jane Powell
-Holiday in Mexico
-Three Daring Daughters
-Luxury Liner
-A Date With Judy
-Two Weeks with Love
-Nancy Goes to Rio
-Athena
-Hit the Deck
-Deep In My Heart

plus others:
-Small Town Girl (hello...it has Ann Miller)
-Lili
-The Toast of New Orleans
-Two Girls and A Sailor
-Everbody Sing
-Two Girls on Broadway
-Panama Hattie
-DuBarry Was A Lady
-Two Sisters From Boston
-Lovely to Look At
-I Love Melvin
-Torch Song
-Meet Me in Las Vegas

I compiled a list of movies that are relevant and WB would consider releasing. A lot of them were featured in That's Entertainment therefore of importance.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Haven't we had 3 boxsets of musicals this year? Dreamfactoy, Busby and the upcoming Astair/Rogers 2? A handful of Black muicals that I didn;t get because they weren't in a box?

I think Warners is doing pretty good with this genre, while being great with all the other genres they have (noir, gangsters, westerns, horror etc..).

Corey

Screenwriter
^^ I wasn't criticizing WB. I always praise them and they do an excellent choice at releasing classics, but I was just saying how many more musicals need to be released. I know next yeat we'll get an Astaire set, Garland/Rooney, and Esther Williams, but the Eddy/MacDonald would be an excellent addition.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My goodness, don't leave out one of my favorite Jane Powell musicals - TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE. Even the laserdisc looks beautiful, so I can imagine how fabulous the DVD would look.

And I'd like to add LITTLE NELLIE KELLY to the list.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
I'd love to see the Eddy/MacDonald musicals come out as one big set. And also Jeanette's solo films (don't forget the wonderful THE FIREFLY in addition to those above!).

Corey

Screenwriter

That would be a nice set:
-The Cat and the Fiddle
-The Firefly
-The Merry Widow
-Broadway Serenade
-Smilin Through (would be nice if all 3 version were released)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Yes, Two Weeks with Love is one of my favorite musicals too.
I love the Eleanor Powell box set idea.
I asked WB last year about the possibility of an MacDonal/Eddy box set.

Corey

Screenwriter
well i'm not necessarily they have to be in a set because the likelihood of them releasing jane or eleanor powell sets is only a dream, but the eleanor powell films really need recognition on DVD.

What did they say about it?

Corey

Screenwriter
Two Girls and A Sailor is a great little musical filled with stars: Jimmy Durante, Van Johnson, Lena Horne, Gracie Allen, Jose Iturbi, Harry James, and Xavier Cugat.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Another vote for the charming TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE.
But let's not forget that wonderful piece of Americana, SUMMER HOLIDAY and Fred Astaire dancing in the Sky in THE BELLE OF NEW YORK.
3 of my all time Technicolored favourites.

Corey

Screenwriter

Yeah i forgot about those two. Hopefully the latter is in the Astaire set. I was watching the trailers for Thousands Cheer and Broadway Rhythm and they're just dying to be released. The Technicolor is so bright and I know when they're restored they're gonna look dazzling. I don't think they will release Summer Holiday because not that many people know of it and the fact that it was a huge flop doesn't help either.

Charles H

Screenwriter
SUMMER HOLIDAY is very underrated. Dismissed at the time as a ripoff of MEET ME IS ST. LOUIS, it is beautifully directed by Rouben Mamoulian, inventively staged and choreographed, with some very ambitious color experiments, and a great Harry Warren score. A remake of AH! WILDERNESS, the film has more "edge" than ST. LOUIS. The last WB chat mentioned the possibility of double features on DVD (a la FIRECREEK and CHEYENNE SOCIAL CLUB )coming out on dvd. In the waning days of LD, SUMMER HOLIDAY was paired with TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE, BEST FOOT FORWARD with DuBARRY WAS A LADY, GIVE A GIRL A BREAK with EVERYTHING I HAVE IS YOURS, THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS with IT'S A GREAT FEELING, THE HARD WAY with THE MAN I LOVE. The double featured DVD is a perfect venue for the second tier musicals.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Jane Powell was a sweetheart on screen and a gifted star who deserves much more attention from Warner Bros. Her MGM musicals grossed millions for MGM and she entertained millions in her film career.

I hope that Ms. Powell is given the star status that she deserves with a dedicated boxed set all her own.

Corey

Screenwriter

i agree too. they could release 10-12 films on 5 or 6 discs. GF is known to read this site so hopefully he catches this.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I agree completely about SUMMER HOLIDAY. I watch the laserdisc fairly regularly, and the Rhino soundtrack with much more music than made it into the film is also constantly played around my house. I defy anyone to listen to "The Stanley Steamer Song" and try to get it out of his head during the next 24 hours.

The idea of double feature DVDs for musicals is a sensational one. I hope George is reading this thread and takes the idea to heart!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I anxiously await a 2-disc special edition remaster of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, even though it is not my favorite MGM musical (how in hell this won the Oscar and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN didn't is one of the stupid mysteries of the Academy Awards).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks