What's new

WB's Police Academy 7-disc box-set: Press Release (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Patrick, your attitude makes me wonder why you're even in this thread. If you think so little of the "PA" films, why bother reading? How many of YOUR liked films could I say the *exact same thing* about?

Mr. Elliott, I'm trying to see things from your point of view but....why should someone spend their money on a full screen only DVD when they could just watch non-OAR on TV and make a VHS copy of it? The way I look at it, either you fully support OAR or you don't. Yes, I *am* a fan and as such, I want the films I like to be presented properly in OAR (and quite frankly I could care less if it was anamorphic or not.) I cannot give a studio my money (which I have to be careful with these days) for product that is, IMO, defective.

As previously stated, I've already shot a lettr off to WB explaining why I won't be buying the box set. I'm simply going to have to buy 1, 2, 3 & 6 separately because those were treated *right*.

"Z grade" movies or not, the "PA" films have made millions of dollars for WB and I still cannot understand why they'd go through creating DVDs, with extras and have all of them in widescreen except two. It's one of the oddest decisions I've seen in a while. Did an exec say "Hey, let's make the box set as inconsistent as possible?"

The only message you send to a studio by buying "lesser" product is that it's ok for them to continue doing so.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

As I've said in other threads, I think it comes down to what the buyer wants to spend their money on. MAR releases might not be bought by certain folks just like others might not buy a non-anamorphic title. Many horror fans won't buy R-rated cuts of films while others won't buy anything if it doesn't have a lot of extras. Some won't spend over $15 for a title while others might not buy snappers. Even with all the OAR talk, it appears some of these people won't buy anything if the sound isn't remixed to 5.1. I never understood how the audio isn't a "part" of the film just like the AR. It is "our" money so I guess it's up to us on what to buy.

I'm for OAR 100% and I'm sure you know this from our talks at other boards. However, I simply can't leave a favorite out of my collection over an issue like this. If it would be re-released then I'd skip this but IMO, I can either own this title now or never. I really enjoy PA4 so that's why I will buy it. Had I not cared too much for it then I'd boycott the release. Not because of the MAR issue but because it wasn't an important title to me. If Warner is reading this, I'm giving them my money for something I don't like (MAR) in hopes that this will encourage them to release even smaller, cultish titles.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Ok, so what *if* a majority of folks decided to NOT buy the box set but purchased the OAR DVDs separately? Also, what if the non-OAR 4 & 5 discs sold poorly as individual released but the OAR discs did sell? Wouldn't that send a clear message?

I know I'm not the only one who won't be buying the set and will be getting the OAR discs individually. I would think the WB execs would think "Hmm...the widescreen DVDs sold but the full screen ones didn't. Maybe we goofed?" This would indicate that there IS an interest in the "PA" films and therefore encourage them to re-release 4 & 5 in WS.

I guess we'll have to wait until next month before we know the sales figures.

About the thought that some films will never be re-released.....remember the cheesy B-movie "Road House" starring Patrick Swayze? Who in their right minds would have though in a million years that the DVD would've made the *top 10* sales chart? Don't you think MGM is at least considering a re-release for a SE down the road? and MGM isn't even close to the kind of quality studio WB is (barring the misfire here and there.) If the WS discs from "PA" do well but the FS discs don't, wouldn't that make you think there's more money to be made from a WS re-release for # 4 & 5 a year from now?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
maybe Warner Bros. can do a BTTF type of thing, where later on down the road when a 16x9 can be done, there can be an exchange program.??

But I'm guessing they would have to sell alot to make a profit.

I'll gladly pay $5 for each exchange.

wishfull thinking.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I think the numbers will show that people are still going to buy the box and I wouldn't be too shocked if certain stores only carried the box. Again, you're saving $10 to take two free discs. However, please believe me when I say I would "boycott" this IF I thought it would do any good. Again, we're lucky to be getting these at all so a re-release is out of the question but I would love to be proven wrong. :)

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
I just cancelled my order from amazon. I am disgusted that parts 4 and 5 are p&s. I dont think i will even bother buying any of them seperate. :frowning:
Wake up Warner.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am going to spend my $$$$$ on other dvds as I am only interested in the original and buy other dvds instead

Thomas J.

Stunt Coordinator
I can't access it! Nor "Scenes from a Marriage." What gives?:angry: Okay, that's weird, but they both came up just a moment ago. Forget it then.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I think this is the only instance where we'll see SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE and POLICE ACADEMY movies mentioned in the same place. :)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
It's been my experience that the newest reviews at DVD File often don't work the first one or two days that they are up. At least for the ones that I (try to) read.

Thankfully it's now working ;)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Aha, just came up. Good news that 14 minutes of deleted scenes are included with introduction on PA4. Too bad this appears to be the only one to feature deleted scenes (according to IMDB, PA1 has 1 extra scene, PA2 has 5, PA3 has 16, PA5 has 2, and PA6 has about 5-6).

I must disagree with the reviewer that the set is for "fanatics or masochists only" - while these are obviously not examples of high-art cinema, the films themselves are very fun and funny. Whenever I'm flipping through channels and stumble on a Police Academy movie I always stop and enjoy the mindless fun. For 43 bucks at DeepDiscountDVD, the 7-disc set is a must, though obviously I would've prefered the open-matte transfers be presented in their correct aspect ratio - had they been pan-and-scan I wouldn't touch them.

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
I will be buying the boxsetset. Sure its not all OAR but i like these movies too much to pass on it. I'm happy WB is doing this at all.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I will be getting this when it comes out. It would have been nice to have these all in OAR but the price is pretty reasonable for the box set. I could also sell off 4 and 5 If they do release OAR versions later on.

-Mike

CraigL

Screenwriter
Picked up 1 2 and 3 today from Tower. Some good prices...just kinda sad that I couldn't pick up the boxed set. *sigh* Oh well...other bigger and better DVD's to buy. Thanx to WB for savin' me some cash.

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator
Can anybody who has any of the new Police Academy movies or the Box Set tell me if these discs are dual layer or single layer? Just curious why the specs on all the sites say Single Layer, but they're spread out over 7 discs in snappers. Seems like consolidating would have saved valuable storage space.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks