What's new

WB will mark it's 90th Anniversay in style (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I bought the Scarlet Edition Blu-ray of GONE WITH THE WIND only after a couple of posters on this forum assured me that some effort had been made to correct the color. It is a vast improvement over the DVD, but there is still too much yellow in the mix. Apart from that I have no complaints, but too much yellow in the mix seriously undermines the film's aesthetic and atmosphere. More correction is needed.
Brianruns10 said:
And don't get me started on that abysmal color correction (or rather, color addition) on "Mystery of the Wax Museum"
That's right, encourage me.
I can't imagine what Ned Price was thinking when he "colorized" this early color film. If memory serves the original VHS has the correct color. Could you say a few words about how the color went wrong, for the benefit of Moe Dickstein?

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
After reading about this, I hoping a praying that WB releases new masters for Unforgiven and Goodfellas.

Ratko Mladic

BANNED
Warner,take a break from releasing musicals,and start putting out some other genres,will ya?I'm talking about obscure but great movies such as McCabe & Mrs.Miller,Night Moves,Klute,Straight Time,Badlands..I heard the news that you're planning to release A Star is Born (remake) and Oh!God trilogy on BD next year.That's embarrassing.To choose four crappy movies over so many great classics in your vaults.Get your sh*t together,and bring a long overdue classics to the table already!
The Big Sleep
Key Largo
To Have and Have Not
The Magnificent Ambersons
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Out of the Past
The Big Red One
Splendor in the Grass
The Bad and the Beautiful
Giant
East of Eden
Arsenic and Old Lace
Bringing up Baby
White Heat
Adam's Rib
Point Blank
The Haunting
Bad Day at Black Rock
The Time Machine
But knowing you guys,we will be getting Show Boat,Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,The Goodbye Girl etc.:eek:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Wasn't there an 85th Anniversary promotion that fizzled out after a handful of initial titles? I remember this huge brouhaha over the promotion only to have it quietly go away. Anyway, I'd like to see some attention going to more contemporary fare: How about some love for Burt Reynolds films, or special editions of some of the better late 80's to mid-90's films like EXECUTIVE DECISION, ERASER, hell, even Steven Seagal could use some love.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Ratko Mladic said:
Warner,take a break from releasing musicals,and start putting out some other genres,will ya?I'm talking about obscure but great movies such as McCabe & Mrs.Miller,Night Moves,Klute,Straight Time,Badlands..I heard the news that you're planning to release A Star is Born (remake) and Oh!God trilogy on BD next year.That's embarrassing.To choose four crappy movies over so many great classics in your vaults.Get your sh*t together,and bring a long overdue classics to the table already!
The Big Sleep
Key Largo
To Have and Have Not
The Magnificent Ambersons
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Out of the Past
The Big Red One
Splendor in the Grass
The Bad and the Beautiful
Giant
East of Eden
Arsenic and Old Lace
Bringing up Baby
White Heat
Adam's Rib
Point Blank
The Haunting
Bad Day at Black Rock
The Time Machine
But knowing you guys,we will be getting Show Boat,Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,The Goodbye Girl etc.:eek:
I'd vote for many of the films on your list without disparaging the musicals either. In fact, I'd add my favorite MGM musical of all, The Band Wagon.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Eighty-five is a pretty weird Anniversary to celebrate. With Universal and Paramount celebrating their Centenaries this year, WB will want in on the "look at us, we've been around for a century!!" action, and waiting ten years for their own centenary is pretty much out of the question. I think they'll make a real meal out of becoming a Nonagenarian, and we'll see a lot of titles upgraded from DVD to Blu.
I agree about seeing some decent releases of the Burt Reynolds canon, but my own personal preference would be for some of the big 1950s/60s titles like Around The World In Eighty Days (possibly as a smilebox?), or Blake Edwards' The Great Race.
I've voiced my concerns about WB showcasing its MGM titles for its own Anniversary, but I guess if the Studio marketing people think those movies will sell when the Studio's own legacy won't then that's their problem.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Mark Oates /t/322613/wb-will-mark-its-90th-anniversay-in-style/30#post_3957605
Eighty-five is a pretty weird Anniversary to celebrate. With Universal and Paramount celebrating their Centenaries this year, WB will want in on the "look at us, we've been around for a century!!" action, and waiting ten years for their own centenary is pretty much out of the question. I think they'll make a real meal out of becoming a Nonagenarian, and we'll see a lot of titles upgraded from DVD to Blu.
I agree about seeing some decent releases of the Burt Reynolds canon, but my own personal preference would be for some of the big 1950s/60s titles like Around The World In Eighty Days (possibly as a smilebox?), or Blake Edwards' The Great Race.
I've voiced my concerns about WB showcasing its MGM titles for its own Anniversary, but I guess if the Studio marketing people think those movies will sell when the Studio's own legacy won't then that's their problem.
Mark - Warners said in Lou's article that AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS would be one of the Blu-ray titles they release next year. I am right there with you on THE GREAT RACE and add my own hopes of a James Dean Collection. GIANT really needs a proper Blu-ray release.

With Warner also saying that MRS. MINIVER, BROADWAY MELODY, THE GREAT ZIEGFELD and BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES will be coming out also, it appears that the MGM and Goldwyn titles will make an appearance in the 90th anniversary for Warners. After all they control them.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Does Warner control IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT? Hoping for WIND AND THE LION also.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT was a UA relrase so its with MGM.
I second THE WIND AND THE LION.
My guilty pleasures for Blu would be THE HAND, WOLFEN, LOOKER and DEMON SEED

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Dare we hope that PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE, KISS ME KATE, and CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER join HOUSE OF WAX and DIAL M FOR MURDER on 3D Blu Ray next year as part of this?
And Ratko, if you're disparaging the 1954 A STAR IS BORN, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. That is a GREAT film, as good as anything on your list. Sure, all those should be put out, too, but definitely get A STAR IS BORN out as well. If you're putting it down because it's a musical, you obviously haven't seen it. And frankly, you shouldn't put down movies you haven't seen.

donidarko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Donnie
Oh Warner, how I would LOVE these on BLU!
DEMON SEED
WOLFEN
LOOKER
THE GUMBALL RALLY
HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE
EYES OF A STRANGER
and please...FEARLESS with Jeff Bridges.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I'd love if they released a Marx Brothers set with the seven films they own (A Night at the Opera through A Night in Casablanca).
Also Innerspace. :)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Todd J Moore said:
Dare we hope that PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE, KISS ME KATE, and CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER join HOUSE OF WAX and DIAL M FOR MURDER on 3D Blu Ray next year as part of this?
And Ratko, if you're disparaging the 1954 A STAR IS BORN, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. That is a GREAT film, as good as anything on your list. Sure, all those should be put out, too, but definitely get A STAR IS BORN out as well. If you're putting it down because it's a musical, you obviously haven't seen it. And frankly, you shouldn't put down movies you haven't seen.
Dial M For Murder is coming out (in both 2D and 3D) October 9th.
And I believe, in reference to ASIB, the poster was referring to the Streisand version, not the Garland version (which is already out on Blu-Ray and most people would classify as a musical). As for his opinion that the four films he listed are 'crappy' - well, that is his opinion, and doesn't indicate whether he has seen them or not (my guess is he has seen them and just didn't like them - to each his own).
David

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Danny Burk said:
Lots of great possibilities, but more than anything, I'm hoping for the silents that we've been promised "forever".......THE WIND, SCARLET LETTER, BIG PARADE, THE CROWD and others. Seems that a great opportunity to release them this year was missed, with all the attention given to THE ARTIST and WINGS.
Danny, I couldn't have put it better. Just add Ingram's THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE (Brownlow reconstruction) to your wonderful list. Anyone who has the wonderful WINGS BD or the Carlotta SEVENTH HEAVEN, STREET ANGEL, LUCKY STAR or the Eureka SUNRISE and CITY GIRL would wonder why we can't get these from Warners in blu ray form. I notice that the "complete" GREED will be on TCM next month. Will we finally get this in some form from Warners in the future? This studio now can claim the worst record for classic film releases in this format. Still, there's no end to the re-releasing of cash cows we all own through multiple "upgrades". Just hope that, if not, they will lend them out to foreign sources like Fox did.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Another originally-MGM-but-now-owned-by-Warner film: The Time Machine. I've always been surprised it hasn't gotten a Blu-ray release yet considering all the films that have, but lately I've been hoping that that could mean they've been holdng off to make a worthy release and not just a a rehash of whats on the DVD. I've seen more super-releases of older films from Warner more than any other studio. Also, there seemed to have been a non-snapper case re-issue of The Time Machine on DVD in 2010, and I'm sure they could've issued an identical Blu-ray simutaneously, but they didn't. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Moe Dickstein said:
Sunrise is a Fox title.
Sunrise was produced and released by Fox (the movies' mystery man William Fox personally produced). However, the film is apparently in the public domain, and there are copies many places on the web.
Fox has released Sunrise on a decent DVD.
The best silent film ever made IMHO.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
ahollis said:
Mark - Warners said in Lou's article that AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS would be one of the Blu-ray titles they release next year.
Can you provide the reference for this very excellent news?
Thanks!

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott D S /t/322613/wb-will-mark-its-90th-anniversay-in-style/30#post_3958170
I'd love if they released a Marx Brothers set with the seven films they own (A Night at the Opera through A Night in Casablanca).
I would love this as well. The Marx Brothers are way overdue on Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks