1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

WB: what other films are "family oriented"??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mirza, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Well-Known Member

So what else do we get to clinch our buttcheeks for, waiting for the inevitable "family pan and scan" version??
    Iron Giant SE?
    Harry Potter?
    I just pray that WB doesn't suddenly decide Blade Runner SE and Goodfellas SE are family oriented films!
    ------------------
    webmaster davisdvd.com
    International Exclusives

2. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Well-Known Member

Here's an incomplete list of WB family titles not yet available on DVD that we can expect in full frame (whether open-matte or pan-and-scan):
    Gay Purr-ee
    The Incredible Mr. Limpet
    The Phantom Tollbooth
    Watership Down (which, although animated, isn't really a family title (it's a bit too violent to be a family title), though WB will probably mis-market it as one)
    The Nutcracker Prince
    Rover Dangerfield
    Free Willy (all 3 films)
    Tom and Jerry: The Movie
    Dennis the Menace
    Little Giants
    Cats Don't Dance
    Any more?
    [Edited last by Jeffrey Gray on August 19, 2001 at 12:10 AM]
    [Edited last by Jeffrey Gray on August 19, 2001 at 07:07 PM]

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Well-Known Member

All I can say is, if Warner releases a Special Edition of The Iron Giant in Pan & Scan, I am absolutely going to treasure the widescreen version I own right now. Not that I don't already, but it will probably mean more for me to have that amazing movie the way it should be watched.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    Yeah...Blade Runner and GoodFellas are in near danger of being pan & scanned (for BR) and fullscreened (for GoodFellas) given that they're rated R.
    I guess that's why South Park is in children's video sections in rental outlets.
    [​IMG]
    We only need to be concerned with G/PG family titles because WB obviously does this with family movies most of the time.
    I'd like to add that Cats Don't Dance was filmed HARD-MATTED, so a fullscreen transfer would be real pan & scan.
    Just say no to cropping. Say yes to matting.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

5. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

John Steffens
    ah man,
    I was looking foward in getting Dennis the Menace 16x9 [​IMG]
    ------------------

6. Don Myles

Don Myles Well-Known Member

Given how effective WB's market research seems to be. I am awaiting the results of their survey on what the consumer thinks is a family movie and what they do not.
    Might be interesting to see if J6P down at the local Wal Mart thinks Goodfellas is a good family movie - or he even knows what Goodfellas is!!
    Don
    ------------------

7. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

Glenn
    Hey, don't worry just about "family" titles. Just wait till WB does some more highly scientific surveys and determines that most of their customers prefer P&S for all DVD titles. See ya later, widescreen. [​IMG]
    ------------------

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Well-Known Member

There may come a time when WB does a survey of it's customers and finds 100% prefer p&s on all titles. And it'll be true, because the hundreds of thousands of people who prefer OAR will no longer be WB customers, and those left will all be p&s preferers. Of course, the WB execs will still be baffled at how they're now selling less product than before when fewer people owned dvd players.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

9. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Well-Known Member

Back when Pokemon was the biggest thing going, Warner decided, and did, release the 1st Pokemon movie in P&S. The 2nd movie, and the newly released 3rd were done in the same way. This might be one of the reasons why Warner thinks that all the "family films" should be done that way.
    I wonder just how many of those DVD's were sold anyways......hmmmmmmm
    [​IMG]
    Just a thought...
    ------------------
    "Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

10. LukeB

LukeB Well-Known Member

Hope none of you liked "Osmosis Jones" because it seems to me that's next to get the chop-and-crop treatment....and it's a 2.35:1 film, so close to 50%...GONE. WB is suck.

11. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Well-Known Member

I think Osmosis Jones (and Iron Giant, and Neverending Story) are safe. WB has never released a pan-and-scan-only DVD of a 2.35:1 Panavision film, and they probably won't any time soon.

12. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Well-Known Member

I think they may also have The Boy Who Could Fly in their catalog, a film which I would buy if, and only if, it were released in OAR.
    Brad

13. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Well-Known Member

quote: WB has never released a pan-and-scan-only DVD of a 2.35:1 Panavision film, and they probably won't any time soon. [/quote]
    Yeah, but there'a always that first time for everything!
    If you had told me a month ago that WB would dump any 16x9 transfer from a SE (let alone WONKA -- which took some time and energy to put together), I would have said you were nuts.
    ------------------
    webmaster davisdvd.com
    International Exclusives
    [Edited last by Patrick Mirza on August 20, 2001 at 02:56 AM]

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Well-Known Member

How anyone can trust WB to do the right thing by Iron Giant and Neverending Story just because they're 2.35:1 is beyond me. We had explicit promises from them that they would issue Friends and South Park in season sets, not this Best Of crap, and they reneged on that completely. Their word is not as good as that of Hitler at the Munich Conference, IMHO. "It's just a piece of paper!"
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Well-Known Member

16. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Well-Known Member

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Well-Known Member

OK, I was remembering it a bit more explicitly than was the case. Re: Friends, here is the 1/16/01 Digital Bits comment related to the "Best of" issue:

18. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

John Steffens
    I just thought of this..what about Innerspace??
    Wouldn't W.B. consider this 'family orinated'?
    Now if they do decided to P&S this, it would be quite interesting since the laserdiscs and I think even the video was Letterbox, and at the begining it stated how important widescreen was in presenting this movie!!!
    Also, wouldn't it be agreat time to release Innerspace on DVD, when they release Osmosis Jones???
    ------------------
    [Edited last by JohnS on August 23, 2001 at 01:10 AM]

19. Will K

Will K Well-Known Member

I noticed the other day that Purple Rain is pan and scam. Hmmmm...must be a family film. Sounds like one. The kids loved it.