What's new

WB chat 1970s series (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The Chat would have been better if someone from the Warner Archive department was present. It's almost as if we only got part of the picture.

We know the archive has been doing well with TV MOVIES.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by TravisR

That's not defending them. It's the truth.

I do agree though that Warners saying what they are working on is a good idea. And I guess there's some value to them hearing directly from people about what titles they want to see.
TravisR, I hear what you are saying but I have some thoughts. First, I don't think they need this forum to find out what customers want. They must have professional marketing/sales departments who can accurately predict this.

What I have found out from this site (and learned to appreciate) is that there are fans for every show. No mater how obscure a show or cartoon is, someone wants it released. During this forum a handful of fans get through and ask about their pet shows. How does that correlate to customer interest? Just because John Doe likes Cat/Dog and asked the studio about it doesn't mean enough people want it to make it a viable release.

All the fans at this site opinions and preferences together, are really inconsequential when trying to predict national and international sales.

The most coherent summary of this chat is Dave Lambert's report. My point is that there are probably a few thousand shows. It is a waste of time to let a handful of fans ask about there favorite shows only to get vague answers. It would be more informative to just say what is in the line-up, what they are working on for future release, and lastly summit a list of shows they have the rights to but have no plans for release.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by dhammer

The most coherent summary of this chat is Dave Lambert's report. My point is that there are probably a few thousand shows. It is a waste of time to let a handful of fans ask about there favorite shows only to get vague answers. It would be more informative to just say what is in the line-up, what they are working on for future release, and lastly summit a list of shows they have the rights to but have no plans for release.
I agree with you 100%. Dave should have people submit their questions to him, let him collate them and then submit them to WB. I remember some of the chats where it seemed like every fifth question was about Everwood. In addition, by submitting questions beforehand, maybe then the Warner people could be prepared with answers and actually look into what's being asked about and do a little research rather than coming back with "No Plans at This Time" for 80% of the answers. While some may feel that the Game Show aspect of getting questions in may be amusing, is it really the most effective way of submitting queries and getting informative replies? And, really, considering the fact that they are gearing up to open up the floodgates on TV releases through Warner Archives, those are the people that we need to be talking to the most.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammer

It would be more informative to just say what is in the line-up, what they are working on for future release, and lastly summit a list of shows they have the rights to but have no plans for release.

I completely agree with this, but the studios have never operated this way and I don't see any signs of them changing up now. Their MO has always been to be ultra secretive when it comes to revealing future plans (other than the few bones we get from these chats) and I seriously doubt they'll ever change that formula. For whatever reason the studios play things very close to the vest when it comes to sales numbers, future release plans, and the status of ongoing dvd releases. They just aren't open and it's been something many of us have talked about and wished for for years.

Gary "I believe it was Jeff Willis who suggested the studios have more transparency with the fans by having a website dedicated to the things you mentioned above, David - but I think that's fallen on deaf ears" O.

mustang

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
patrick
As a 1950s and 60s Mainly Western Fan i Am Shattered After Reading The Transcript Of The Chat.Wanker Bros Dont Give a Stuff About The Baby Boomers,All They Care About Is The Bottom Line,To Say That Because The First Season Of Cheyenne Didnt Do Well They Are Basically Saying Their Will Be No More Releases Of 50s Or 60s Shows Except Maybe Maverick Probably Just To Keep Everybody Happy,In Other Words If Their Is One Rotten Apple In The Barrel The Whole Barrel Is Rotten.

And i Do Agree With Other Posters They Should Have Had Someone From The Warner Archive Dept At The Chat To Clear Up Alot Of Unanswered Questions.These People From Warner Bros Should Have Been Politicians They Said Alot But At The End Of The Day Most Of It Meant SFA.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I agree with most here, chats where representatives know that most of the questions will probably be about unreleased classics in the vaults, there are many 'no plans yet' answers. But to those saying classic TV on DVD is dead I'd disagree, it needn't be that way not where so much has been milked in theatrical films and some say that well is dry (though I don't agree with that either) - surely the television vaults hold nearly endless possibilities as the next goldmine studios ought to dig into for DVD releases. WB's TV movies apparenty are doing good (archive) business, whereas other companies like Dark Sky have cool double-feature releases of 70s TV movies coming in May. A trend I hope continues as this particular field (TV movies) is another haven.In the WB chat's Harry O answer they mentioned they have many great 70s series, but what's the use of keeping it all locked up and say 'yeah we have all this - but we are not releasing it', when there's a market and desire for it. License it then.

So as there seems to be a slow unfortunate dwindle as far as normal movie releases go (though much interesting still remain unreleased), the vaults of television series and TV movies ought to open up as the next obvious treasure trove, with endless possibilities from the 50s to the 90s. But I would obviously prefer proper DVDs, and if a studio has no interest; license.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

I completely agree with this, but the studios have never operated this way and I don't see any signs of them changing up now. Their MO has always been to be ultra secretive when it comes to revealing future plans (other than the few bones we get from these chats) and I seriously doubt they'll ever change that formula. For whatever reason the studios play things very close to the vest when it comes to sales numbers, future release plans, and the status of ongoing dvd releases. They just aren't open and it's been something many of us have talked about and wished for for years.

Gary "I believe it was Jeff Willis who suggested the studios have more transparency with the fans by having a website dedicated to the things you mentioned above, David - but I think that's fallen on deaf ears" O.
I think I recall saying that once :)

Bottom line is that, as a TV/DVD collector, I'd love to see the studios be more revealing about their plans but, as always, there's 2 sides to the issue. Sometimes these negotiations get tricky and are dependent on the studios and rights owners maintaining low profiles until such issues are resolved. I'd guess that's why we don't hear about some of the upcoming TV/DVD plans until the deals are inked.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Everybody says license, license, license. To who? I have no idea where all of a sudden Shout Factory got this influx of capital, but they are licensing their asses off and I really doubt they could really handle many more shows at this point. Smore is virtually out of business. MPI I don't think has ever licensed from a major. Image is in bankruptcy. Infinity hasn't announced a new title in a long time. VCI puts out a release every leap year. And Timeless is content to live off Universal's westerns. Virgil maybe? Although other than Donna Reed, how much have they put out? Everybody loves to say license but unless its a western, you have one company that's putting anything out.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

Everybody says license, license, license. To who? I have no idea where all of a sudden Shout Factory got this influx of capital, but they are licensing their asses off and I really doubt they could really handle many more shows at this point. Smore is virtually out of business. MPI I don't think has ever licensed from a major. Image is in bankruptcy. Infinity hasn't announced a new title in a long time. VCI puts out a release every leap year. And Timeless is content to live off Universal's westerns. Virgil maybe? Although other than Donna Reed, how much have they put out? Everybody loves to say license but unless its a western, you have one company that's putting anything out.

Absolutely, Neil. No doubt that licensing is not a viable option most of the time for the exact reasons you stated. Shout has to be at their limit with all the series they've taken on and Timeless has found a niche with westerns (primarily from Uni). And after that there's basically nothing left except Time-Life and they are only doing one or two high profile things a year. None of the other smaller independents are doing a thing, and as Neil said some are financially at wits end. Shout has all but single-handedly kept Vintage TV on DVD from dying in 2010. Without their unexpected "free for all", the market for older material would be as dire as I thought it would be - if not even worse than I thought. Many of us are grateful to be getting some great sets, but it's foolish to think all the Big Boys can license out at the drop of a hat.

Gary "I'm surprised Shout has been able to do all they have - much less add more to their plate" O.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Then we're left with those private sales of all these US shows and that's a grim option where the studios are losing money that could be theirs instead, I don't understand any logic in that prospect. In the UK there's companies releasing everything under the sun of cult television interest. Like Network from deals with Granada and others, while I don't know their general sales numbers or expectations I don't think they're getting fat on it. But they have a chore audience they cater for, and everybody seems happy so as long as expectations are kept at a realistic limit it works.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by DeWilson

The Chat would have been better if someone from the Warner Archive department was present. It's almost as if we only got part of the picture.

We know the archive has been doing well with TV MOVIES.
What I would like to know is why Warner Archive won't/can't release their titles outside the US.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
(DavidLambert) First, a big THANK YOU from all the TVShowsOnDVD readers to WHV, for working out issues & getting shows onto DVD like Falcon Crest, Scarecrow & Mrs. King, Family Matters, more Night Court, more Fresh Prince, more Everwood and others. Fans appreciate it! Now we wonder if there will be similar efforts to bring out Freddy's Nightmares, Eight Is Enough, China Beach, Sisters, Alice, Spenser: For Hire, Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, Shazam!, Logan's Run, Captain Caveman or Men In Trees? Any good word for fans of these shows? (WarnerBros) Phew! I'm tired just thinking about that question. Many of these are under active consideration. I'd love to get China Beach out but music is extremely problematic but we're continuing to work at it. Some of these others are on our long list as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really appreciated David Lambert's question. I feel their answer was too vague to even have merit. Why couldn't they answer title specific(example: Shazam-NO, Logans Run-YES, China Beach-POSSIBLY etc.)?. This was the absolute lowest point of the chat for me.
I also appreciate WB for doing these chats....though most of it was bad news(for me).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow

Then we're left with those private sales of all these US shows and that's a grim option where the studios are losing money that could be theirs instead, I don't understand any logic in that prospect. In the UK there's companies releasing everything under the sun of cult television interest. Like Network from deals with Granada and others, while I don't know their general sales numbers or expectations I don't think they're getting fat on it. But they have a chore audience they cater for, and everybody seems happy so as long as expectations are kept at a realistic limit it works.
Do you think that there aren't costs involved with getting a product out on the market? Take a show that aired 30, 40 or more years ago that has not been syndicated either ever or in recent times. All that likely exists are film elements. They need to be transferred and if they are not color corrected and remastered, then you get people like on this forum bitching about the quality. Okay, well to do that, it costs a minimum of about $2000 an episode. That's a low end cost. So take a one season show with 26 episodes and you are talking over $50,000 before any other costs like packaging, etc. Of course they could just do a dirty transfer and put them out as is. But then you get people watching on their 100 inch HD 3D sets who will say they can't buy it because the poor quality hurts their eyes. And there are many shows which are never going to sell the amount of units necessary to recoup its expenses. You think they are losing money by not putting stuff out. Nothing compared to how much they could lose if they did put some things out. That's why burn on demand is a great hope for niche shows. Anyone who doesn't embrace BOD really doesn't care about vintage releases because that is the ONLY way most of the shows still unavailable will ever see the light of day on legitimate releases.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^I do not embrace BOD simply because it appears to be a lesser quality product at a premium price point. I'm not saying I'll *never* purchase a BOD title but currently it absolutely must be a desperately wanted title before I'll make the purchase. In addition, I sometimes wonder if a BOD title does well enough would it then qualify for a non BOD release?

That said, I'd be very disappointed if "Maverick" turns up as a BOD only release, but that's one I'll get anyway.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

^I do not embrace BOD simply because it appears to be a lesser quality product at a premium price point. I'm not saying I'll *never* purchase a BOD title but currently it absolutely must be a desperately wanted title before I'll make the purchase. In addition, I sometimes wonder if a BOD title does well enough would it then qualify for a non BOD release?

That said, I'd be very disappointed if "Maverick" turns up as a BOD only release, but that's one I'll get anyway.
Well, I can tell you that that's sometimes how it works when you are dealing with shows that are less well known and not as popular. The rarer and more obscure the show and the fewer people that want it, those are the things that may cost more and be of lesser quality. That's just how it works. If Room 222 was as popular as Hawaii Five-O (and wasn't owned by a crappy company like Fox), then it too would be released in beautiful 35mm remastered color. But merits of the show notwithstanding, its not as popular, its not going to sell nearly as well and that's why its coming out with 16mm faded prints that were transferred to 1-inch over 30 years ago. I have shows in my collection that are from black and white prints of color episodes. Am I happy about that? No but you have to take what you can get and meanwhile those black and white prints of shows like Run Buddy Run, Governor and JJ and The Good Guys are still the only copies of those series that have ever turned up. In collecting as in life, one must learn to compromise.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
In the latest issue of Classic Images magazine Kit Parker has a nice letter to the editor published in which he discusses the high costs of releasing vintage TV. His company was going to release "My Little Margie" but gave up once the costs exceeded $100k. That's an astounding number. He cited rights clearances as the culprit. It's not just music clearances, but dealing with talent or their heirs (if they can even be found). An example that was given was that if an actor has 10 heirs, it just takes one of them to throw a monkey wrench into the project.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Steve...O

In the latest issue of Classic Images magazine Kit Parker has a nice letter to the editor published in which he discusses the high costs of releasing vintage TV. His company was going to release "My Little Margie" but gave up once the costs exceeded $100k. That's an astounding number. He cited rights clearances as the culprit. It's not just music clearances, but dealing with talent or their heirs (if they can even be found). An example that was given was that if an actor has 10 heirs, it just takes one of them to throw a monkey wrench into the project.
This is good example of the troubles of licencing a show - but then keep in mind different shows do have different contracts - another show may not have to even give talent (or heirs) anything or a small flat fee based on original contracts,or "buy outs".

Well,atleast we have the handful of public domain episodes.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O

As always, Steve is the voice of wisdom here. When we hear about "rights clearance issues" we automatically think music problems. But that's definitely not true. Besides the show Steve referenced, I know of another one that was scheduled to come out and at the last minute some distance heir threw a monkey wrench into the equation looking to get more money than it was worth to put the show out. So it does happen - probably a little bit more than we all realize.

Gary "greed is a huge problem with releases - and it's not always who we think" O.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I don't know where Neil gets the idea I don't want DVD-Rs, I'm saying I'd rather have real pressed DVDs but will take those other ones if I have to. I know it's the future, I'm glad it's finally there as I've been screaming inside for something like this for years. But have you seen Cannon? That's an official DVD though nonremastered release, and it quite frankly looks like something the cat dragged in with faded colors and crappy shadows, but I'm still buying it. If it can come out this way anything can, whether 'anything' will though is another question.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

, I know of another one that was scheduled to come out and at the last minute some distance heir threw a monkey wrench into the equation looking to get more money than it was worth to put the show out.
Isn't that ALWAYS the case - some heir,distant or otherwise think their share is worth more than it it - that's WORSE than the music thing! 99% of the time they don't grasp that they are holding things up and will end up not making any money at all as a show rots on the shelf and loses it's value - real or percieved!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks