What's new

Wasn't there TWO Floyd the barber's on Andy Griffith?? (2 Viewers)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

I was watching TVLand and just as Andy Groffith was coming on they showed a brief trivia note saying that Floyd the barber was played in this ONE episode by an old guy named William Baldwin. They proceeded to play the episode, and sure enough, Andy was in the barbershop talking to the locals and a different white haired guy was cutting hair, and Andy said "Hey Floyd" to him..they talked a bit and that was all you saw of him.

I've Googled like crazy to find this info, and find NOTHING referring to the "other FLoyd"...was I dreaming!!??

Anyone who can find this info, please post a link!

Thanks!
Alfer

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For casting information, IMDb is generally a better place to start than Google. It's Walter Baldwin, not "William":

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0050019/

Look under "Notable TV Guest Appearances".

In other episodes, the character was played by Howard McNear. According to his bio at IMDb:

During his third year on the "Andy Griffith Show", Howard as "Floyd, the Barber" suffered a massive stroke which greatly affected his left shoulder, most of his left arm as well as his legs. In earlier episodes, he is seen freely walking about. All episodes after this time either have him photographed in close-up, sitting or, secretly, propped up by a brace.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Q. When did Floyd the Barber pass away? He is such a great character! What else can you tell me about the actor who played him?

A. Howard McNear, who played Floyd the Barber (except in the first episode with Floyd, "Stranger in Town," Episode #10), passed away on January 3, 1969. You can read more about Howard McNear in the in-depth profile about him in Volume 7, Issue 3 of The Bullet. You'll also find a good bit of discussion about Howard McNear in Richard Kelly's book, The Andy Griffith Show, and there's a nice biographical sketch of him in the new Definitive Andy Griffith Show Reference. He was beloved by all who knew him.
Here's an
episode guide from one of the show's fan sites - which I found quite easily with a Google search. :)

BTW, the other actor who played Floyd (in the character's first appearance only) was Walter Baldwin, not William. I don't think William Baldwin was born yet. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The saddest thing to me was the revelation that Frances Bavier couldn't stand Andy. I believe Andy said they sort of came to like each other before she passed, but it was tough going most the time.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Most people don't know that in the pilot, Andy had twin sons. This is known as a duopiely.
Huh? :confused:

You can't be referring to Ep. #1 (from October 1960), "The New Housekeeper". Andy's not mentioned as having twins in that ep.

Are you referring to one of Andy's appearances on "The Danny Thomas Show", which spawned TAGS?

(Or was your post a joke entirely, to set up the "Duo-Opie" remark?? ;))

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Floyd was played in this ONE episode by an old guy named Baldwin.
Yes.....It, BTW, was one of the funniest TAGS episodes ever (IMO), called "Stranger In Town" (Dec. 26, 1960). Barney is convinced this harmless stranger is some kind of foreign spy.

Andy -- "Oh, and you figure he's come here to find out some of our secrets, do ya? Like how we make turnip jam...or how we make possum piiiiiiiiie??" :laugh:

Lewis T Bass

Auditioning
Real Name
Lew
Last week I was visiting Mt. Airy, NC (the town that claims to be the inspiration for Mayberry), and there is an establishment called Floyd's City Barber Shop, which claims to have the original Floyd. I shook hands with him and he says he will turn 92 in a few weeks. He did not look like the actor who I remember on The Andy Griffith Show, and I did not ask any pointed questions of him, but I felt he was being represented as the actor from the show. I am holding a card I picked up in the shop and the name on it is Russell Hiatt.

The actor I remember was Howard McNear, and he was fantastic.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Lewis T Bass said:
Last week I was visiting Mt. Airy, NC (the town that claims to be the inspiration for Mayberry), and there is an establishment called Floyd's City Barber Shop, which claims to have the original Floyd. I shook hands with him and he says he will turn 92 in a few weeks. He did not look like the actor who I remember on The Andy Griffith Show, and I did not ask any pointed questions of him, but I felt he was being represented as the actor from the show. I am holding a card I picked up in the shop and the name on it is Russell Hiatt.

The actor I remember was Howard McNear, and he was fantastic.

Mr. Hiatt purports to be the barber of Andy Griffith's childhood and the inspiration for Floyd. In his later years, Andy distanced his Mt. Airy experiences from the narrative structure of the show itself. History alone knows if he was being modest, honest, or simply lending more credit to the creators and writers of tAGS.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
There are so many things in the first season that are different from what most people fondly remember about the show. Not only was Howard McNear the second actor to play Floyd, but the character himself had a wife and a son who played the saxophone. Later it was established that Floyd was a bachelor.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Howard McNear. Always a pleasure when he was playing FLOYD.
He also did a great many OTR shows. Chiefly the voice of DOC ADAMS on GUNSMOKE.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are so many things in the first season that are different from what most people fondly remember about the show.

Yes, like Andy becoming less a "hick", and Barney and him no longer being cousins. Continuity was not a strong point of this show, but it is still one of the all-time greats.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Yes, like Andy becoming less a "hick", and Barney and him no longer being cousins. Continuity was not a strong point of this show, but it is still one of the all-time greats.

Not so unique though. In the first season of M.A.SH. Radar both smoked and drank. Not what people remember. Continuity or not - Andy Griffith show was a gem as was he.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks