1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

warranty problem

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John-Miles, Feb 26, 2005.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Well-Known Member

Hi all, I ahvent posted ehre in quite a while, but now I am back, I recently had a problem with my Toshiba 36HFX71 tv, from time to time the screen would take on a blue tint, nothing would make this tint go away except turning the tv off and then turning it on again.

So I called up the store I bought it from they came and picked up the monster tv. I told them no rush on it as I am in calgary till march 4th. So a few days ago I called to check on the progress and they told me that the green picture tube needs to be replaced.

HOWEVER that tube is no longer in production. I have an extended warranty but aparently the extended warranty company is in the drivers seat on this and MAY find a replacement tube somewhere (no longer in production dosent mean none left around) or I may need a whole new tv. Now my question is how are they likely to treat me if I need a new TV?

As I see it I have 3-4 options, 1 they say well the tv was 2 1/2 years old so its worth 500 od the 3200 you paid, here you go enjoy. they may replace it with 34" widescreen, they may replace ti with a Sony 36 HS model, or they would replace it with something bigger like a Toshiba 44" DLP.

Personally I hop they dont try to give me a depriciated value for the tv, cause right now its not in my budget to drop another 2000 on a tv.

If they replace it with a 34" widescreen tv well thats significantly smaller than the tv i initially bought, and since most of my viewing is non HD tv and video games I ahve to live with a smaller stretched image most of the time.

Replacing ti with a SONY HS model, well that give me pretty much what I had before but if I am not mistaken the HS model Sony's dont exactly stack up in terms of PQ and features to the Toshiba Cinema Series.

And the final alternative I can see would be somethign like the Toshiba 44" DLP its not a 4:3 as I would prefer, and its not a CRT as I would prefer, but its the same price as my tv was when i bought it and well if you cant ahve the aspect ratio you want at least I have somethign bigger right?

So opinions what do you think they will try to give em what should i fight for? where would you draw the line?