What's new

Warning: P&S Alert MGM (Sony) does it again... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
What is saddest of all is that even if MGM wanted to be completely cheap and not do a new transfer, they already had OAR masters from the LD releases.

walter o

Supporting Actor
So who is the culpit here, Sony or MGM (considering MGM does have a widescreen master used for the LD, do I assume it was Sony's decision?)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It would, if the transfer is better than what we apparently get now.

Cees

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Of course an old master wouldn't be up to today's standards, but at least it wouldn't be missing half the picture! If you are going to do a half assed job, why bother releasing the title?

DanFe

Second Unit
The sad thing is that this movie will probably never be released outside the US. We're stuck with this crappy release. Does anyone know of another region that has it done right?

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Cheer up.

Sony mistakenly had the GHOSTBUSTERS listed as '"1:33 fulframe" printed
in advance ad copy, for the just released GB 1&2 set, and even some boxes that are out there. (I have one).

But GB is in fact 16:9 2.35 widescreen.

Perhaps this is the same situation-the hands dont know what the ass is up to...

walter o

Supporting Actor
I saw a whole crate worth of the GHOSTBUSTERS DVD, where it list part 1 being full screen, and part 2 being widescreen, I did find that rather odd, so I it was a goof and safe to pick one up then?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't know if it would do any good, but a petition to get both these films released properly - with the already recorded commentaries and extras - might be an idea. At least Sony couldn't claim that there was no interest in the titles, especialy if sales are disappointing, and retaillers are getting a lot of returns. It worked for Chitty Chitty Bang bang.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
What's really, really bad about this is the fact that so many sites advertise it as 'Fullscreen - 2,35". It's hard to understand why - unless that false information was distributed by the distributing studio. I cannot believe that all those retailers got it wrong independently.

The pure fact that these transfers are P&S is already highly disappointing, but the false pretenses are infuriating.

Cees

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It still says 2.35 on Sony's own site, so the initial solicitation was wrong (or maybe it was right and production screwed up). If I were an international customer who ordered this based on the provided specs (whicj just about EVERY retailler has listed), then had to pay import duties and taxes only to discover a POS P&S disc, I'd be livid. Here's Sony's own webpage:

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevide...616927453.html

The Huck Finn disc has no specs listed. As I said earlier, if the LGWLDTL info is wrong (listed as widescreen/fullscreen on Sony's site) I'm going to be pissed.

walter o

Supporting Actor
didn't the LD had a audio commentary and some extra stuff? Where those ported over to the DVD?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sony doesn't give two-fifths of a f*&$ about the home theater base, otherwise this debacle and that of ANNIE and MATILDA and others would never have happened. God help us all when they roll OLIVER! out in its big anniversary edition...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't think we can blame Sony for these, this is an MGM issue, as these would have been in pipeline long before the merger.

by the same token, there was nothing stopping Sony from delaying the releases to do them properly either.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jeff,

Exactly. One here! :angry:

And add: cannot send it back without too much costs (as well as having to pay duty again when the replacement would arrive - although not there in this case of course).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks