What's new

Warners to release 200 new classic titles in 2007 (1 Viewer)

Corey

Screenwriter
More announced titles:

-Side Street
-They Live By Night
-Illegal
-Where Danger Lives
-Act of Violence
-Cornered
-Tension
-Crime Wave
-Decoy
-Mystery Street
-Dive Bomber
-The Charge of Light Brigade
-The Adventures of Don Juan
-The Dawn Patrol
-Gentleman Jim

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'm still waiting for the two Dark Shadows films to be released. If Paramount can put out all of the Star Trek films, why can't Warner do the same for the two films based on another TV cult classic?

Of particular note, Night of Dark Shadows is in need of restoration- the full 129-minute pre-release cut has been located. Producer/director Dan Curtis passed away earlier this year, and a restoration of NODS was a dream of his during his final years. Warners has the power to make that dream come true. Both this and its predecessor House of Dark Shadows (credited as one of the major reasons MGM avoided bankruptcy in 1970, along with the auction/sale of its back lot and props & costumes) should be brought out on DVD in their original widescreen ratios.

I'm happy to see that some Delmer Daves titles are under consideration- with A Summer Place as a definite go for 2007. Now, if only they got to the rest of the Daves melodramas like Youngblood Hawke, Susan Slade (reportedly a favorite of John Waters), and possibly the trashiest of the lot, Claudelle Inglish starring Diane McBain!

BTW, I'm still P.O.ed about Gymkata being favored for DVD release over the far superior You're A Big Boy Now......

Corey

Screenwriter

I'm just as puzzled as you. I do expect it to probably be the first female set announced for 2007. Not sure on all the titles, but Hold Your Man and Red Dust are pretty much concrete.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Who has the rights for Robert Montgomery films for DVD? Warners? If so, it'd be great to know which titles they own. I've seen several awhile back and they were very good.

Corey

Screenwriter

Yeah Warners owns a lot of them. He was a contract player at Metro for years.

-The Big House (a definate must)
-The Last of Mrs. Cheney
-June Bride
-The Last of Mrs. Cheney
-Night Must Fall (a definite must)
-Their Own Desire
-Letty Lynton (it'll be awhile before we see this)
-The Divorcee (Shearer pre-code)
-Strangers May Kiss (Shearer pre-code)
-Inspiration (Garbo V2 maybe)
-Private Lives (a definite must)
-When Ladies Meet (w/ 1941 double feature :))
-Forsaking All Others
-Riptide
-Ever Since Eve (Marion Davies' final film)
-No More Ladies
-Petticoat Fever
-Blondie of the Follies (a definite must)
-The Mystery of Mr. X (a definite must)
-The Easiest Way ( a definite must, pre-code)
-Our Blushing Brides (hopefully WB eventually does a triple feature with Our Dancing Daughters and Our Modern Maidens.)

Corey

Screenwriter
What happened to WB's Classic Comedies Collection?? They seemed to have abandoned that line. Wasn't the first set very successful??

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

I've seen:

Inspiration
The Mystery of Mr. X

And I think 4 others but I can't remember the name of them.

Corey

Screenwriter

Well WB said they would be releasing Shearer's pre-codes and considering that she only made 3, you can cross The Divorcee and Strangers May Kiss off the list. No More Ladies and Forsaking All Others will most likely be in future Crawford sets. The only ones i could see them releasing in the near future other than those I just listed would be Night Must Fall, Private Lives, and The Big House.

Corey

Screenwriter
When they release The Jazz Singer in September or October, I hope they also release Mammy too, since it has been recently restored.

Corey

Screenwriter
Well with over 3000 votes on TCM, I hope that WB has plans to release Green Mansions next year.

Corey

Screenwriter

I hope so. I was just specualting with that one. There aren't many titles left in her catalog and plus the first set sold extremely well. They could release:

-Garbo Silents Collection V2 3 disc SE with:
*Torrent, Love
*A Woman of Affairs, Wild Orchids
*The Kiss, The Single Standard
-Romance
-Susan Lenox (I heard a rumor that this was gonna be in Gable V2)
-Inspiration
-As You Desire Me
-The Painted Veil
-Conquest
-Two Faced Woman (her last film :frowning:)

...and that would complete the Divine Garbo's film catalog.

Corey

Screenwriter

-on moonlight bay
-romance on the high seas
-i'll see you in my dreams
-my dream is yours
-lucky me
-by the light of the silvery moon

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't mind if they do a 25th anniversary editions of both Poltergeist and Creepshow. Maybe I'll ask them in the upcoming chat.

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
Still hoping to see Fred Zinnemann's fine 1948's postwar drama The Search, starring Montgomery Clift in a wonderful, Oscar-nominated performance. Zinnemann also received an Oscar nod, the film won an Academy Award for "Motion Picture Story," and a special Oscar was awarded to Ivan Jandl for juvenile performance. Other Search honors include Golden Globes for screenplay and for "Best Picture Promoting International Understanding," and the movie's inclusion in the National Board of Review's top ten films of the year (The Search ranked #3).

Somehow, despite the film's exceptional critical reception and the fact it contains one of Clift's finest performances (his sensitive, natural, and skillful work in this film and in the same year's Red River signaled a new era in screen acting had arrived), The Search has somehow managed to fall between the cracks whenever the great films of the forties are mentioned. Would love to finally see this moving film come to DVD in 2007.

Also waiting to see three films never released on DVD or on VHS: The Hard Way starring Ida Lupino in possibly her best dramatic role (she won the New York Film Critic's Best Actress Award) is another overlooked 1940's drama begging to be seen again (director Vincent Sherman did some fascinating DVD commentaries before his recent passing, so I'm hoping he discussed Way, which he was justifiably proud of); 1950's gritty, riveting Caged, the first and the best "Women's Prison" drama, featuring a truly remarkable cast, including Oscar nominees Eleanor Parker and Hope Emerson (it would be heavenly to see Parker show up at some point on a DVD commentary or interview, and she's at her dramatic best in Caged), as well as Agnes Moorehead, Jan Sterling, and Jane Darwell; and the 1960 screen adaptation of William Inge's The Dark at the Top of the Stairs, with another phenomenal cast of pros (Robert Preston, Dorothy McGuire, Angela Lansbury, Eve Arden, and Shirley Knight, in her Oscar-nominated film debut as Reenie). The fragile Reenie's tender romance with a similarly lonely, introverted young boy (played with impressive emotional force by the now-forgotten Lee Kinsolving) is one of the most touching depictions of young love I've ever seen in a movie, and the film's mood is understated-yet-memorable, aided by Max Steiner's beautiful score, which sets an appropriately melancholic tone for the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks