What's new

Warners to release 200 new classic titles in 2007 (1 Viewer)

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure if I'm imagining things or not, but didn't they say we'd be getting two film noir box sets next year?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Why Pee-Wee? WB ought to just save it for HD-DVD since it already has a 5.1 remix, a Tim Burton/Paul Reubens commentary, 5.1 music track (with Danny Elfman commentary), production design featurette, deleted scenes, and the trailer. Maybe if they did a Tim Burton comedy collection with Pee-Wee, a Beetlejuice SE, and Mars Attacks bundled together in slimlines.

WB does a good job of avoiding trivial double dips (unlike most other studios).

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
My wants:

I WANT Michael Apted's AGATHA and also Straight Time, both with Dustin Hoffman in anamorphic!

ERICKA

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Guys; does Warners release in HD or BluRay or both?
I'm one of those who will upgrade the second the !$%^@#$^ format wars are over.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I echo these words, Richard! I loved Warner's recent LEGENDS OF HORROR set and I really hope we'll get more in that genre. I'd also like to add to this list:

The Walking Dead (Boris Karloff)
The Beast With Five Fingers (Peter Lorre)

I thought those two would have worked beautifully in the LEGENDS box, but I can wait if they're coming!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'll second that. I know Warner has said they began working on this series but ran into trouble getting nice prints of some of these, but once again I'll add that there are 48 films and I can't see each and every one of them looking equally sparkling. Sure it'd be wonderful, but I'd still rather have 38 films looking pristine and the other 10 maybe not as immaculate if it means we can get ALL of them. There are plenty of other series releases where not every film looks like it's been minted right off the press, so I just hope the expectations on the Bowery Boys are not too high and it's an "all or nothing" deal for WB when it comes to picture quality. Even in the ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN set there were some episodes that didn't fare quite as well as others (remember "The Stolen Costume")?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
200 titles? :emoji_thumbsup: Great news!

Hoping for the following.....................

Box Sets:

Flynn Set Vol #2 - Adventures of Don Juan - The Dawn Patrol - Charge of the Light Brigade - Gentleman Jim - etc

Legends of Horror Vol #2 - Beast with Five Fingers - Kongo - West of Zanzibar - The Unholy Three (1930) - The Walking Dead - etc

Warner Noir Vol #4 - Desperate - Act of Violence - Side Street - The Devil Thumbs a Ride - The Window - etc

Tough Guys Vol #2 - Invisible Stripes - Lady Killer - The Little Giant - Jimmy the Gent - 20,000 Years in Sing Sing - etc

Individual releases or part of a set:

The Sea Wolf

The Hanging Tree

Dark of the Sun

SE Re-issues:

Kubrick 2-disc SE set - A Clockwork Orange - 2001: ASO - The Shining - Full Metal Jacket - etc

Blade Runner 4-disc UE

LA Confidential 2-disc SE

Deliverance 2-disc SE

Cool Hand Luke 2-disc SE

Bonnie and Clyde 2-disc SE

Poltergeist 2-disc SE

Road Warrior 2-disc SE

Outland 2-disc SE or I'll settle for just a remaster

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Is A Woman's Face with Joan Crawford a Warners film?...if so that should be in Joan box 2 right?

Adrian_B

Grip
Its hard to believe THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS isn't available yet. The film elements their 'searching' for had better be darn good.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
THE WALKING DEAD was just on TCM in a very nice print, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that out on DVD from Warner in 07.

Charles H

Screenwriter
A JAMES GARNER Box (with commentary) would be terrific: 36 Hours, The Wheeler Dealers, Marlowe, They Only Kill Their Masters, Boy's Night Out, Mr. Buddwing, Darby's Rangers, Cash McCall, and as a bonus "Girl on the Subway," a mini-movie for "Warner Bros. Presents" that Garner did with Natalie Wood. Garner was the last of the classic and classy WB contract players who --in the tradition of Davis and Cagney and Clint Walker-- took their careers in their own hands and rebelled against the quantity and quality of their WB assignments when he walked off "Maverick."

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Collections for:
John Garfield
Edward G. Robinson
Paul Muni
Norma Shearer
Robert Ryan
Ida Lupino

Also:
Cruising
Straight Time
Personal Best
Reckless (1984)
Carny
Urgh! A Music War
Dusty and Sweets McGee
True Stories [OAR]
...All the Marbles
Fast Walking

Manus

Second Unit
You know, if Warners decided to dump SD, Hd-Dd and BD and only released in 'Warner Ray' , I for one would be right there . These guys know what it truly means to be a 'movie fan' unlike some Executive Idiots over at Fox , Sony and elsewhere :)

Keep em comin and I'll keep savin !

~M~

Alan-A

Grip
Surely I can't be the only one who wants a Jeannette MacDonald collection.
And how about a Ken Russell box with THE BOYFRIEND, THE MUSIC LOVERS, LISZTOMANIA, SAVAGE MESSIAH and of course, the long-awaited restored complete version of THE DEVILS!!!

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator

I second ALL of your wishes! A Ken Russell Collection would be the mother lode of outrageousness!

But THE MUSIC LOVERS is sadly not a Warner title. These are the ones that Warner holds the rights to:

THE DEVILS
THE BOY FRIEND
SAVAGE MESSIAH
LISZTOMANIA
ALTERED STATES (already out on DVD but definitely in need of an upgrade)

and I'm not sure just who holds the rights to MAHLER these days. According to imdb.com Goodtimes Enterprises was its Production Company, much like LISZTOMANIA so that could be good. But then again, who knows for sure?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
A Allied Artists Sci-Fi box set would be fantastic!

I'm not sure if Warner has the rights to all of these, maybe someone can provide information on which ones they don't own:

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman
Attack of the Crab Monsters
Behemoth, The Sea Monster
Cylclops, The
Frankenstein - 1970
From Hell it Came
Maze, The
Not of This Earth
Queen of Outer Space
War of the Satellites
World Without End

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Warner Brothers is sitting on top of a number of (former) Allied Artists Pictures Corporation 1950s SF-Horror B-film cult classics that includes:

FLIGHT TO MARS (1951) in Cinecolour
THE MAZE (1954)
WORLD WITHOUT END (1956) in CinemaScope and colour
INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN (1956)
THE ATOMIC MAN (1956)
THE CYCLOPS (1957)
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS (1957)
NOT OF THIS EARTH (1957)
THE DISEMBODIED (1957)
FROM HELL IT CAME (1957)
WAR OF THE SATELLITES (1958)
ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN (1958)
MACABRE (1958)
QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE (1958) in CinemaScope and colour
FRANKENSTEIN 1970 (1958) in CinemaScope
THE GIANT BEHEMOTH (1959)
THE COSMIC MAN (1959)
BLUEBEARD'S TEN HONEYMOONS (1959)
THE WASP WOMAN (1959)
CALTIKI, THE IMMORTAL MONSTER (1959)
TORMENTED (1960)

not to the mention THE BOWERY BOYS (1946-58) movie series.

It seems that INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956), THE DAUGHTER OF DR. JEKYLL (1957), THE BAT (1959) and ATOMIC SUBMARINE (1959) have now been removed from Warner's Allied Artists Pictures film library. At least Warner Brothers Home Entertainment did make available HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1959) in a quality DVD release.

Pertaining to Randy's earlier message post in this discussion thread Warner Brothers is releasing the two MGM produced Abbott and Costello films LOST IN A HAREM (1944) and ABBOTT AND COSTELLO IN HOLLYWOOD (1945) on a single doublebill DVD on November 21st, 2006.

But what about RIO RITA (1942), JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (1952) and ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD (1952) the latter two filmed in SuperCinecolour?!

While I at it how about the 50 MGM produced OUR GANG comedy shorts especially those with Froggy as a gang member?!

Jeff T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks