What's new

Warner's next Film Noir Set (pure speculation) (1 Viewer)

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Perry
I hope Warner release noir films that were shot in CinemaScope.
Check this list out. If I am missing any titles please add to the list.

Slightly Scarlet (RKO Scope)
Hell on Frisco Bay
I Died a Thousand Times
Tip on a Dead Jockey
While the City Sleeps (SuperScope)
House of Numbers
The Unholy Wife (SuperScope)
Edited by flagbrothers - 8/14/2009 at 03:31 pm GMT

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I would hope that Criterion would license Lang's While The City Sleeps for release since Warners has apparently changed its policy on that sort of thing. Nobody could do a better job. Would love to see Hell on Frisco Bay and Slightly Scarlet as well!

But I most want the Robert Taylor noirs like Rogue Cop and the early b&w gritty RKO classics like Armored Car Robbery, Stranger on the Third Floor, I Died A Thousand Times, The Window, etc. I wish the original box set were still slated for a '09 release. I can't see how the studio would not turn some profit on the set... the list of films were far better than last years selections too. A real bummer!

newcastleboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
So does anyone know if this set will be coming out this year? Afterall WB released two gangster sets last year, I don't know why they won't release two more film noir sets to keep "us" fans happy.

- Peter

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
I know I'm a pain in the neck but I'm really looking forward to the promised 5th Noir set but with all those Noirs being released in the Archive line I'm getting a bit anxious. Mr. Epstein, do you have any information, whether they're still planning to release this set?

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Good news from Barrie Maxwell's Classic Coming Attractions Column:

Film noir fans will be glad to know that the previously-promised fifth volume of titles is definitely a go for a pressed DVD release. The format will be 10 films on 5 DVDs with commentaries and other extras included. Titles have not yet been revealed and exact release timing has not been finalized either.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/barriemaxwell/maxwell090809b.html

Samuel Vimes

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeroen
Wonderful news! Their last noir box was their best, IMO, at least in value for money. I really hope this one wil be just as good.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I suppose they look on the extras and the redone transfers as a sunk cost so they may as well release it in pressed form. But I wouldn't be looking for another volume.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
If it sells well and is profitable, the only thing keeping it from being the last is access to product. I'm buying it, am not buying the archive stuff, and will continue to support these pressed classics to the best of my ability. If the end is (louis) nye, it won't be because i gave up on it...

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'm buying both. Guess that makes me a traitor to the "pressed" cause. Or to the Archive cause for that matter.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
"I too will be going "both" ways."

As will I. I guess that makes me a bi-discual.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks