What's new

Warner's 'Films of Faith Collection' in April (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
After being rumoured for a Christmas release, Warners are to finally unveil The Nun's Story, The Shoes of The Fisherman and The Miracle of Our Lady Fatima in April.

Full details are at DVD Times:

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD debut of 3 Oscar® nominated films on 4th April 2006. Warner Home Video will present the DVD debut of three new Oscar® nominated films from the massive Warner library of classic titles. Featuring three tales of spiritual discovery which celebrate lives of purpose and inspiration, The Nun’s Story, The Shoes of the Fisherman and The Miracle of Our Lady Fatima will all be released in time for the Easter holiday season. Audrey Hepburn, Peter Finch, Anthony Quinn, Laurence Olivier and John Gielgud are among the top stars of the films; bonus features include the vintage featurette The Shoes of the Fisherman and theatrical trailers. Each title is available individually for $19.97 SRP as well as in a boxed giftset as the Films of Faith Collection, selling for $29.98 SRP.

The Nun’s Story (1959)
The Nun’s Story is an unforgettable revelation of the seldom-seen world behind convent walls. Audrey Hepburn portrays Sister Luke, a nun whose life journey leads her to a much desired position as a surgical nurse in a Belgian Congo missionary hospital. After she returns to her native Belgium, World War II breaks out and she finds her commitment seriously tested -- torn between the pull of the Resistance and the church’s neutrality. Directed by four-time Academy Award? winner Fred Zinnemann, The Nun’s Story earned eight Oscar nominations including Best Picture.

Special Features:
Theatrical trailer
Languages: English & Français
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

The Shoes of the Fisherman (1968)
From Morris L. West’s bestseller, The Shoes of the Fisherman is both an urgent tale of geopolitical intrigue and a fascinating look at Vatican procedure. Anthony Quinn plays a newly-freed Russian political prisoner thrust into the spotlight as Pope Kiril Lakota. Laurence Olivier, Oskar Werner, John Gielgud, David Janssen and Leo McKern enrich a production which was nominated for two Academy Awards? and won a Golden Globe? for Alex North’s score.

Special Features:
Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
Vintage featurette The Shoes of the Fisherman
Theatrical trailer
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (Feature Film Only)

The Miracle of Our Lady Fatima (1952)
This much-loved movie thoughtfully recreates the 1917 actual events that brought hope and new religious fervor to a war-ravaged world. Three peasant youths in Fatima, Portugal see a vision: a woman in a cloud of light offering words of devotion and prophecy. The children face torture by the anticlerical government but are soon embraced by the faithful masses drawn by the promise of a miracle. Director John Brahm skilfully balances simplicity and spectacle, all powerfully supported by Max Steiner’s Oscar?-nominated score.

Special Features:
Theatrical trailer
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for these.
The Making of shoes of the fisherman. I hope this is the one they show on tCM. It shows them filming the movie in Rome in 70mm ultra panavision. The only odd thing is that this is NOT a 70mm shot film. The film was a 35mm blowup on first run.
Love Miracle of Fatima. Thevoice of the Virgin Mary (and the grown up Lucia inthe final scene) is British actress Joan Croyden. Here in the states she seems to have done a lot of tv work in the 50s but only one film, the part ofMiss fern in the Bad seed. Other than that, she was the voice of Rossanna Podesta in two Warners films - Helen of Troy and Santiago.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I am really looking forward to these releases as well, especially The Nun's Story. This is another great set from Warners.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Marco, I think so, SHOES OF A FISHERMAN can be classified as a thriller (if it wasn't for the dragging subplot with David Janssen and his love life).

NUN'S STORY can be enjoyed by non-believers, especially if you are a fan of Audrey. Maybe FATIMA might be too religeous, but it is still a great film for me.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Marco, The Nun's Story I know to be a great film by any standard, I am sure you will enjoy it. On the other hand, Fatima may best be a rental for you.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Marco: THE NUN'S STORY is never less than fascinating from beginning to end. I think it's Audrey's finest performance and her best film. I'm an ex-Catholic, now agnostic, and I can't wait to get it on DVD. I'll be getting THE SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN too. Great score, great acting by Anthony Quinn and Oskar Werner, and one of my favorite movie endings of all time.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I can watch Audrey in anything and I've heard good things about Nun's Story. That will most likely be a blind-buy and I've read good things about The Shoes Of The Fisherman too. I guess depending on the retail cost, I'll probably grab the whole set and decide whether it's worth it to keep them all or sell off whatever titles I'm not as keen on. Of course, if it were any company other than Warners, there's no way I'd even consider this! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks